tripod help

S

sandsavage

I'm in need of a new tripod for my spotter.I have a Leica telivid 77 and its too heavy for my current tripod. I have been looking at Manfrottos but there are so many models I'm not sure which one i want. I also want to get a pistol grip for it too. Any advise?? I only want to buy it once. Thanks

Price range? Height requirements?

Outdoorsman's sells some top notch stuff. Though their tripods are ridiculously expensive, I hear they are "awesome"...though i'm not sure how a tripod could be awesome....

For the price, I don't think you could go wrong with a Bogen/Monfrotto 190xb. It may weight a bit more than some others; but it's well made and solid.

I'm sure other guys on here can give you some advice as well.

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

I'd like to stay under $300. And it needs to go close to 5' tall w/o the pistol grip.
I was looking at the 190xb and the 055xdb but I'm not sure which of these would suit my purpose best. I was also looking at the brunton tripod here locally.It seemed to be well made too.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-09 AT 03:34PM (MST)[p]check out the vortex tripod, I looked at one at sportsmans the other da and for $129 I dont think it can be beat. It was aluminum but within onces of the carbon.

Speaking of carbon nikon makes a great carbon tripod for about $200. That with a manfrotto pistol grid head is great. There is another company out there that makes a pistil grip head from OR, not sure there name but it is lighter and more user friendly than the frotto, thats what I would get.

Look at the Slik Carbon Fiber 713 Pro. Much lighter than the aluminum Manfrotos and just as sturdy. About $230 from B&H photo. I've had mine for years and have had many friends buy one after checking mine out. Personaly I do not like the pistol grip heads AT ALL. I had the Outdoorsman pistol grip and sold it after 3 days in the field. It just doesn't pan well and hurts your hand after a few hours of use. Look for a Bogen 3160 on ebay for around $50.00 They don't make this model new any more but it's a great head. Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom