Tripod for my spotting scope..... Help?

P

Psc_Colts18

I am hoping that someone can give me some good advise on a fairly inexpensive tripod that will still be pretty stable... (with wind shake and such) I have a swarovski 20-60x80 straight scope and a very very cheap tripod that i know is way to low line for my heavy scope.... I will be using the tripod for when i am in the field, so i don't want the heaviest thing in the world but i'm not afraid to pack a little weight.... Anyone have any good options????

No light weight tripod will hold that big thing still. Even the heavy duty ones still have problem when the wind blows. I have a Razor and have tried to use it with one of my smaller tripods. It just dosn't work. I use the carbon fiber tripod from Vortex. I believe they have stopped making it. But you need something like that to hold it steady. The swarovki tripod is big bucks, but you should find something like it a little cheaper. I finally gave up looking for a small ,light weight, sturdy tripod. I just pack the razor with my big tripod strapped on my pack. I have a light weight scope and a tripod . Dont ever pack it anymore. I just let my boys use it. Ones you get use to that big objective in low light. You wont ever use a smaller scope.
Good Luck

I have your scope in the 65mm, so it isn't as big. I use it interchangeably with my 15x SLC's. If I'm even close to the trail/truck/quad etc. and not backpacking all day with a big load I carry a 7lb tripod(Slik 700) which is very stable and relatively tall.

Clearly the lower you can get to the ground in the wind the more stable most tripods will be. I use a Vortex Highcountry with mine when packing and simply get lower.

Of course if you have the funds, buy the best you can, but my system has worked well and neither tripod was over $100.

PS Rarely if ever use your center post extended at all with big scopes in even slight wind.

I think the one Austin posted up is very close to my old carbon fiber version. I really like mine. I can stand and look threw it with out putting up the center post. I am about 5' 9" and use a staight scope. Hope we have help you out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom