Tripod and head suggestions for glassing

B

bullwrinkle

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-07 AT 05:53PM (MST)[p]I am looking for suggestions for a good tripod and head for glassing with 10x42 or 15x56 binoculars. I do most all of my glassing sitting down. I have used a Slik U6000 for several years and I can't stand it any more. I have a Manfrotto 055MF3 tripod with a 488RC2 head I love and use for taking pictures with my camera but it is just too huge to carry around all day. I like the 488 head because I can lock the up and down tilt and still pan. I looked at some mini balls but when you unlock them its a free-for-all. I like to be able to pan accross and work a grid up or down. Have any of you have ever used the Manfrotto 190MF3? It is about a pound lighter than my 055MF3, I am hoping for something even lighter.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

I have used a K&K Tripod w/Pistol grip Head for years. They have 3 different sizes to choose from. They are light weight and have worked great for all of my optics.(15's,10's,65mm swarovski and even a pair of Docter Aspectrum 40x80 Bino's that weighed in at 10 lbs.) You can see them at Sportsmans Warehouse. Also, they come with all the goodies- tripod, quick disconnect, case and head. They weigh in from 3 to 3.75 lbs. depending on the size. If you need more info send me a PM and I can get you set up.
Good Hunting!
Bill

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-07 AT 12:33PM (MST)[p]I have the manfrotto 714shb digi tripod legs and attached the 486rc2 head to them. This set up works awesome and doesnt weigh a ton. You could just buy the 714shb legs and swap your 488rc2 head onto that with a few slight mods. I had to drill out the aluminum plugs and add 12" 3/8 bolt through the main tripod pipe to get the head on, but it works awesome!

Slik 713 Carbon Fiber with a Bogen 3160 head. The 3160 isn't made any more but you can usually find one on ebay for around $50.00. The Jim White head is a great head also but will set you back considerally more. B&H photo has the Slik 713 Carbon for just over $200.00. You can't beat this tripod for any price!

Thanks again for all your input folks.
I am a stuborn mule and went ahead and got the Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod and the Manfrotto 700RC2 pan head. Holy silk. I went out this morning with 15-20 mph wind and gusts that were more. THE BINO'S DID NOT SHAKE, MOVE OR NOTHING. Might be a little heavy but I am so pleased I could just glass some more. I use to turn the truck around and go home when the wind was blowing like it was today. Now I can enjoy the peace of stillness.

Now I feel like a total toad head Okie for not doing something like this sooner.

I gave my old slik U6000 to my son, poor guy.

I did try out the White head and if I had the coin I would have got it. I believe I got the next best thing.

Also I would like to thank Doug and Joel at Camera Land for giving me good advise and a good deal on the head and a pair of Nikon bino's for my son.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom