Trinity United Church of Christ

viking421a

I decided to learn more about obama's church and so I checked out their website. Here is a page I copied directly from their site titled "the black value system". I also copied the link below for anyone who wants to go there themselves. As you will read this "black value system" is supposed to be taught "wherever blacks are gathered".

How could anyone attend a church for twenty years which teaches this and not ever see an instance of racism when racism is preached right on their website?

Can you imagine a white republican candidate for president attending a church where this is preached only switch the word WHITE every time it says BLACK.

I am so sick of the double standard!

http://www.tucc.org/black_value_system.html

THE BLACK VALUE SYSTEM

Trinity United Church of Christ adopted the Black Value System, written by the Manford Byrd Recognition Committee, chaired by the late Vallmer Jordan in 1981.

Dr. Manford Byrd, our brother in Christ, withstood the ravage of being denied his earned ascension to the number one position in the Chicago School System. His dedication to the pursuit of excellence, despite systematic denials, has inspired the congregation of Trinity United Church of Christ. Prayerfully, we have called upon the wisdom of all past generations of suffering Blacks for guidance in fashioning an instrument of Black self-determination, the Black Value System.

Beginning in 1982, an annual Black Value System ? Educational Scholarship in the name of Dr. Byrd was instituted. The first recipient of the Dr. Manford Byrd Award, which is given annually to the man or woman who best exemplifies the Black Value System, was our brother, Dr. Manford Byrd.

These Black Ethics must be taught and exemplified in homes, churches, nurseries and schools, wherever Blacks are gathered. They consist of the following concepts:

1.Commitment to God. ?The God of our weary years? will give us the strength to give up prayerful passivism and become Black Christian Activists, soldiers for Black freedom and the dignity of all humankind.

2.Commitment to the Black Community. The highest level of achievement for any Black person must be a contribution of strength and continuity of the Black Community.

3.Commitment to the Black Family. The Black family circle must generate strength, stability and love, despite the uncertainty of externals, because these characteristics are required if the developing person is to withstand warping by our racist competitive society.

Those Blacks who are blessed with membership in a strong family unit must reach out and expand that blessing to the less fortunate.

4.Dedication to the Pursuit of Education. We must forswear anti-intellectualism. Continued survival demands that each Black person be developed to the utmost of his/her mental potential despite the inadequacies of the formal education process. ?Real education? fosters understanding of ourselves as well as every aspect of our environment. Also, it develops within us the ability to fashion concepts and tools for better utilization of our resources, and more effective solutions to our problems. Since the majority of Blacks have been denied such learning, Black Education must include elements that produce high school graduates with marketable skills, a trade or qualifications for apprenticeships, or proper preparation for college.

Basic education for all Blacks should include Mathematics, Science, Logic, General Semantics, Participative Politics, Economics and Finance, and the Care and Nurture of Black minds.

5.Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence. To the extent that we individually reach for, even strain for excellence, we increase, geometrically, the value and resourcefulness of the Black Community. We must recognize the relativity of one?s best; this year?s best can be bettered next year. Such is the language of growth and development. We must seek to excel in every endeavor.

6.Adherence to the Black Work Ethic. ?It is becoming harder to find qualified people to work in Chicago.? Whether this is true or not, it represents one of the many reasons given by businesses and industries for deserting the Chicago area. We must realize that a location with good facilities, adequate transportation and a reputation for producing skilled workers will attract industry. We are in competition with other cities, states and nations for jobs. High productivity must be a goal of the Black workforce.

7.Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect. To accomplish anything worthwhile requires self-discipline. We must be a community of self-disciplined persons if we are to actualize and utilize our own human resources, instead of perpetually submitting to exploitation by others. Self-discipline, coupled with a respect for self, will enable each of us to be an instrument of Black Progress and a model for Black Youth.

8.Disavowal of the Pursuit of ?Middleclassness.? Classic methodology on control of captives teaches that captors must be able to identify the ?talented tenth? of those subjugated, especially those who show promise of providing the kind of leadership that might threaten the captor?s control.

Those so identified are separated from the rest of the people by:

1.Killing them off directly, and/or fostering a social system that encourages them to kill off one another.
2.Placing them in concentration camps, and/or structuring an economic environment that induces captive youth to fill the jails and prisons.
3.Seducing them into a socioeconomic class system which, while training them to earn more dollars, hypnotizes them into believing they are better than others and teaches them to think in terms of ?we? and ?they? instead of ?us.?
4.So, while it is permissible to chase ?middleclassness? with all our might, we must avoid the third separation method ? the psychological entrapment of Black ?middleclassness.? If we avoid this snare, we will also diminish our ?voluntary? contributions to methods A and B. And more importantly, Black people no longer will be deprived of their birthright: the leadership, resourcefulness and example of their own talented persons.

9.Pledge to Make the Fruits of All Developing and Acquired Skills Available to the Black Community.

10.Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting Black Institutions.

11.Pledge Allegiance to All Black Leadership Who Espouse and Embrace the Black Value System.

12.Personal Commitment to Embracement of the Black Value System. To measure the worth and validity of all activity in terms of positive contributions to the general welfare of the Black Community and the Advancement of Black People towards freedom.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-08 AT 05:41PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-08 AT 05:40 PM (MST)

Can you imagine the outcry if I started a church and copied that except replaced all the words 'black' with the work 'white'?

The ACLU would be all over me like white on rice.

Not really a prophet, more like a genius.

You guys are shocked that many blacks talk and feel this way? you really need to open your eyes . do you think OJ walked because blacks don't band together? racism goes both ways and probably always will, get used to it.

If the population estimates are correct in a few decades hispanics will be the majority in this country. then you can be the minority and get away with whining and sniveling about how bad you have it. I'm used to it, I have a lot of full blood Indian relatives and they make Wright sound pretty reasonable. don't think the blacks are the only ones who don't like you, as long as they don't act on it you just ignore them.

So dud's liberal argument is because it happens all the time that makes it ok.

I guess that means murder, rape and child molestation are all ok then too.

Nice arguement. Maybe if you would just concede a point once in a while instead of saying something totally ridiculous you would get some respect.

I've come to the only conclusion I can. Dude comes on here simply to oppose everyone else. (except TFinalShot)

First off I agree with Dude most of the time, not sure if that's good or bad. I read the Black Value System 3 times through and where is the hatred in it?

It has 11 points many of them you would find in any religious community regardless of color or creed.
1. Commitment to God--Catholics, LDS, Muslims all same.
2. Commitment to Black Community- I used to go to a Polish Catholic church in Omaha I'm not Polish. They continually stressed a commitment to Polish business and culture. I would guess the LDS does the same thing in SLC.
3. Commitment to the black family. Is this a bad thing with over 50% of black children growing up in a single parent houshold how can this be a bad thing.
4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education- Only a bad thing if they are going to participate on MM.
5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence-Scary bad, hateful possibly.
6. Adherence to a black work ethic- As it said in Chicago good workers with a work ethic are difficult to find and we need to encourage the young men of our community to work.
7. Commitment to self-discpline and self respect- Lets see the young black male has a greater chance of being in prison than college probably encouraging discpline a respect could be a positive.
8. Disavowal to the pursuit of the middleclassness- This is probably what got most of you. Simply saying at least the way I read it, don't be satisfied with being middle class rise to the top. I think the pursuit of that is called capitalism.
9. Use your skills in the black community-- We have the same thing in Nebraska where we try to keep our skilled people from leaving the state, it generally doesn't work they end up some place where they can make big money.
10. Strenghthen black institutions- Colleges that I have a degree from call usually once a month wanting monetary help in providing strength to develop this or that to make it better. Why shouldn't blacks want to strenghten theirs?
11. Black leaders espouse the black value system somebody explain to me why this is a bad thing.

I'm sure you're going to tell me I'm way off base on this but this looks like another attempt at grasping at straws. Any of you folks ever played sports or been around, African-Americans, Native-Americans, Hispanics you sound like you think there is a big conspiracy to rise up and kill all us whities. I await your rancor.

By the way KTG you can start a church and replace all the words that are black with white. The ACLU won't really care because you're not a state sponsored public institution. Check the net a lot of them are out there if you don't want to start your own. Look toward northern Idaho and Montana.

I try never to insult anyone on here even though it is the net and hope I didn't insult you, but I still really don't get your drift. I just don't see the issue with this mission statement of the church. It certainly isn't a diatribe and I just can't see it as any issue at all. Although for some people Kennedy being a Catholic and Hoover being a Quaker was an issue. By the way I don't really mind being associated with T or Dude or even Ransom, RELH and some others on here. We might just think a little different. Sure is great to live in the U.S. where we can have different opinions.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-08 AT 06:32PM (MST)[p]No insult taken. :)

My point is take the United Negro College Fund, or preferential treatment when applying for a job or an SBA loan based on skin color, or any number of other things. If those things were changed to be preferential to whites, there would be, at the very least, huge cries of racism. What's the difference?

As you know the idea behind affirmative action is to try to level a playing field that for many years wasn't level. Typically and even today blacks get less of an education, its changing I've watched it change in my life. As far as SBA loans obviously the minorities are usually in a lower socieoeconomic group and again we're trying to equalize things. I'm not saying I agree with all of it but its a key part of a stable democracy to have a educated middle class contributing to society most of these programs are attempting that. By the way I'm not a black guy, full blooded Swede both sides ancestors immigrated to Nova Scotia in the 1820's. (So I really don't have a vested interest as I'm not a minority.)

Cornhusker, like you I had no problems with the first list of 10 or so items. Just teaching self pride for themselfs and their race. But, I have a big problem with the second row of numbered items. #1 to #4 that is outright racial in nature. They are referring to the "Project housing" or free welfare housing as being placed in concertration camps. they are also blaming us for their social problems involving black gangs being forced to sell dope and killing each other off due to turf gang wars to control them. Nowhere does it seem they accept any blame for their position in life.
I guess the silver platter is not good enought for them, we should tear down the project housing and place all of them in upscale homes located in upscale white areas at working taxpayers expense.
Where does responsibility of your own actions to control your distiny come into play? We also had a history of being prejudice against the chinese and Japanese in this country. You do not see them making the same claims that this group is doing. What you do see is a determination to excell in school and make something of themselfs and they have great pride in their race and do not blame others for their failure, to exceed in this country. I had a college instructor in Black problems that will strongly disagree with alot of the ideals posted above. But then again he was a Black person that asked only for a fair chance and he would do the rest to exceed in this country for a pieace of the "American Dream."
On the same note, we also have white trash that screams we owe them a living and a chance to better themselfs and seem to get nowhere nor matter how much of our taxpayer dollars we give them. Where does it end????

RELH

As always RELH you make a good educated arguement of which much I agree. I think in its ending now I believe I'm seeing less of a color difference for poverty and welfare and much more of just a laziness issue. I played some college ball with guys that grew up in the projects of Chicago and went back with them once in the 70's. I never thought I had grown up sheltered until I actually spent 4 days there, I really don't know if I could have pulled myself out of a situation that I witnessed there. However you are right responsibility for your own self must be stessed.
I live in an area with a lot of white trash moving in because of cheap housing they can afford. I still remember what the math teacher/football coach told my sons class his last year. "I can't teach you all because you don't care enough to learn so that you can better your life. I just need to teach 4 of the 20 enough so that they can make their own living and enough for those of you who refuse to do anything." It's sad but a true fact of life. 10 years later probably only 50% of that class work the rest live off the government. White, black, brown, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom