Trinity Migration???

mntman

Long Time Member
I am looking at doing a backpack hunt in the trinity alps wilderness next year. I hunt with a bow and rifle, I'd prefer the rifle for this hunt though.

My question is, do they migrate out of here or do they just move "up & down"? At what point do they start migrating?
I will only be able to do one or the other hunts, whats your recomendation on which hunt?

I would like to shoot a big one but that is not my goal, first time after blacktails so I am just looking for a buck and experience.

Thanks,
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Here is my take on hunting any of the No Cal wilderness areas that have blacktail deer. Go the 1st week up high in the basins with good glass and make sure you are in position before it gets light. Yes most Blacktails will migrate out of the high country at the first good showing of any cold weather.After the 1st week I wait for rain and make sure Im there! I will usually hunt the mid moutain levels or clearcut areas out of the wilderness. I repeat, drop every thing if it rains and go hunting! The last weekend if need be I will hunt fairly low if the deer sign is there. The Trintys have a few of these areas just in the wilderness. Yes sometimes the deer will go back up the Mt if it gets warm with no weather later in the B zone season, but not to the tops, somewhere in between and it gets tough. Two more things, dont forget your deer bleat can and your bear tag. BH1

mtnman, this is my first year doing it. I'll share you my experiences after i get back. I did scout the first week of August and wish I was bow hunting it now.

I'm hunting the first week of rifle with my wife and we're using horses but the area we are hunting can be accessed via back pack pretty easy. Afraid that may mean too much company but we'll see.

Mntman: You may want to give a F&G Biologist a call at the Redding Regional Headquarters and ask him your questions on the migration lanes. Also pack some survival gear it can get real nasty up there at those high elevations if a big storm blows in. Long range weather forcasts are indicating we could get some early storms this year so be prepared in mid to late September.

The big bucks will stay up there until the snow drives them out but a good portion of the herd starts to move down below the snow line when the first good storm hits. Consider a ACR, PLB personal locator beacon. It is an emergency beacon that sends a SOS help signal to the satillites. Search and Rescue is sent to the exact GPS location.

ACR.com

Good Hunt'n :)

))))-------->

Thanks for your replys, CES, looking forward to your post hunt story, best of luck.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom