Tri-Pod recommendations

M

madmike8659

I would like some recommendation for a good spotting scope tri-pod. I have zero knowledge of tri-pods. Know a few names but have no idea what to look for in one and what I can expect to pay.

I bought a Slik Pro with a 3 way Panhead last year from Amazon. It was $100 and is worth every penny. Others I was looking at were around the $300 price range.....

Do you want lightweight for packing with a light scope in your pack or a back seat setup for short hikes to a lookout point with a big scope or bino?

There are some that will work for both but you may compromise sturdy for weight or vice versa unless you pay top price IMO.

Bill

Kill the buck that makes YOU happy!

Not likely to backpack in any more. More a good stable platform. I have the Nikon Prostaff 20-60X so it a heavy scope.

I have the Manfrotto tripod and fluid head. The head is the 128 RC and I think the tripod is model 055 XB Pro I am pretty sure.

The same fluid head is for sale in the classified section on page 4 if it's not sold, for 75 bucks which is almost half price, camera and probably has both.

The tripod is heavy but VERY STURDY, I think a guy could find a lighter one that is sturdy enough maybe even the next size down Manfrotto. They have carbon fiber models but they are at least double the money or more in the same brand and size.

Be prepared they are not cheap. But well worth it IMO.

Bill

Last year I was going threw the same thing as you. I decided on the Vortex cbx-128 tripod kit and love it. It has a manfrotto fluid head and carbon fiber legs. It holds my razor w/ my camera hanging off the back great.
I also have the Nikon prostaff kit w/ tripod. Its ok,but not strong enough to hold the weight of my razor.
The Nikon tripod is better for packing but no good enough to hold everything steady. So I strap my big tripod on the outside of my pack and my razor goes inside.
Still looking for a good stable packable tripod. If there are any suggestion ? I am still looking. If I dont find one I will keep packing my bigger stable set up. Up on ridges with the wind blowing it hard to find something that works any better.

I wish I knew of a lightweight affordable setup that was super steady in the wind BIGJOHNT, if you find PM me the info cuz I want one too, till then I will keep packing my heavy setup too.

Bill

When windy, have you tried a rock bag hanging from the center column or one attached to the three legs?

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://www.plateaulightphotography.com/
The-Wave-9-15-10edited_210.jpg

>I wish I knew of a
>lightweight affordable setup that was
>super steady in the wind
>BIGJOHNT, if you find PM
>me the info cuz I
>want one too, till then
>I will keep packing my
>heavy setup too.

+1

One other question, is money a significant factor?

If so, I would avoid the Carbon Fiber units as they are the most expensive and not as steady. I have and have tried quite a few. I am cost conscious, but have access to a full sized Vanguard Carbon Fiber tripod my son owns and find it much more sensitive to vibration and wind than my $99 Slik 700 Pro DX. For the money I cant imagine a better more stable unit. It's 7lbs, though. I carry both when I am glassing from the road or my quad and pull the Slik first.

For backpacking I have been very satisfied with my $70 Vortex High Country. It weigh's less than 2lbs and handles my 15x bino's or my 65mm Swaro spotter just fine. It has a hook to add weight, which is spring loaded so even simply pulling it down half way helps if you are trying to do a quick field judge. No lightweight spotter will be very good up high or in wind much over 10mph. I have heard great things about he Outdoorsman lightweight set-ups, but I am satisfied with what I have for now. The downside of the Vortex unit is that it is not very strong if you fall on one of the legs, like I did the very first time I used it.

I don't know where I will be hunting or even a species yet. I really want to go this year. I am looking at elk in Wyoming in one of the premier areas in the central part of the state or mule deer in Colorado in the NW corner. My plan is to take my Quad and get as close to a glassing spot as possible. there is so much I do not know about tri pods. As I said before I know the names but the technical stuff is over my head. I work with a semi-professional photographer but evidently the two areas are not interchageable. Thanks for all the help.

Check the classifieds someone put another on there. Good deal on a good tripod.

Bill

If you can afford it buy a Gitzo. I have a big one for the truck and a smaller one for packing. They are awesome.

If you want the best, I would go with a Gitzmo tripod, and a
really right stuff head.
You are going to spend a small fortune, but GREAT stuff.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom