Tri-pod for 15X56's

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
Just got my 15x56 Swaros today. Put them on my Nikon tri-pod and it seemed fine but didn't really get a chance to take them outside. Its a light weight alunimum one thats about 42" high. If I was hunting where weight was a factor, I'd just use it. Put the Swaros, 20x60x80 spotter, tri-pod and some basic gear in my hunting pack and it felt light compared to the 48lbs I'm packing everyday. Don't figure any of my hikes will be more than 2-3 miles this year and was thinking about a second tri-pod, one for each optic. Suggestions??

Also, I'm looking for a small folding fiberglass chair with a back rest. Another 2lbs so I can effectively glass all day seems like a good idea. Keep my arse out of the snow and mud and legs from cramping. Anybody else do this and what do you use???

Am I getting soft in my old age or just smarter??

I picked up a Manfrotto 728 B along with my Minox 15X58s.
Fixed three way pan head, tall enough to glass standing and 3.9 lbs, rated at 7.7 lbs.
Under $120 from Doug.
I will be packing one of those cheap alum. three leg stools, about 1 lb.

If you find a light chair with a back that's small enough to pack, let us know.

The Slik Carbon Fiber 613 or 713. Do a search on this forum under "Slik" you'll find a bunch of info.

Anaconda, searched for "light weight camping stool." Found several. 21 ounces to 3.5 lbs. More weight, you get a back rest and more quality. Haven't decided but I know it'll keep me in the glasses longer.

I use a K&K Tripod for my 15"s. There are three different sizes and the biggest barely goes 3.75lb. total with pistol grip head. They run from $275.00 to $325.00 and I think they are the best for the money. They come with a quick disconnect and you can get more for about $20.00 and quit using two tripods. You won't be sorry. If, I can help let me know?

Make sure you get a tripod that the legs can go out almost horizontal and are seperately adjustable. Dont get one with the legs connected underneath. Also on the chair I have a little chair I got at sportsmans warehouse that folds out and gives you a backrest. it also has no metal or weight to it at all. You can fold it up and it will fit inside your pack.

Ya thats the chair I use. It gives just enough support for your lower back. Last weekend my brother and I were glassind and I let him sit in it and he didnt want to get up. Mine is blue I couldnt find a camo one but it doesnt really matter when you are glassing anyway.

I'm the proud new owner of 15X56 swaros, a 20X60X80 Vortex, a K&K Tri-pod and a HornHunter Main Beam. Everything fits perfectly!! Room for the rangefinder on the right hand compartment on the belt too. Pistol grip for tri-pod and swaro adapter fit in the left hand compartment.

Thats an awesome hunting pack.

Instead of riding several hours a day in the dark and humping hills all day, I'm gonna try something new for me. My scouting will consist of locating high points that I can glass from and hiking to them to make sure they're good and take a GPS reading so I can find them in the dark. Once the season starts, I'll be in a good glassing location before light and move to an alternate location for the last couple of hours if the AM doesn't work out. Plan on doing that the entire 7 day season if necessary.

I'm gonna try to perfect my glassing technique the next 3 weeks trying to find my son a good buck here in Kali.

Thanks for all of the advice guys, both here and under "product reviews." I'm sure some of the advice I didn't take was as good as the advice I took. I do know that everything I mentioned above is quality and will work for me. The swaros were no brainers (except for $$$) and I love the pack and pistolgrip on the tri-pod.

After spending hours in the 15X56's, the $300.00 tri-pod was some of the best $300.00 I've ever spent. Smooth. Stable. Flexible. PERFECT!!! Thanks again guys.

In my opinion there are only two to consider. The Manfrotto (Bogen) 3001BD and The Outdoorsmans Tripod. The second is a precision, lightweight model made by The Outdoorsmans in Phoenix www.theoutdoorsmans.com. I don't think you can get it anywhere else. They also make a very nice lightweight pistol grip head. I own and am very happy with both. Good luck.

Wade

The Outdoorsman is by far the best out there. Pictured here are two Outdoorsman tripods with them holding Swaro 15x56's and a Swaro ATS HD 80 spotter.
IMG_0345.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-07 AT 09:21PM (MST)[p]I did a double-take when I first looked at that picture! The first time I thought the front leg of the tripod on the right was balancing on that stick and about fainted!....

LOL - I did the same thing! the center post looks like the leg and I was about question the set up! LOL

I have the same tripod, but with the pan tilt video head. It's a great product. It's sturdy, well made and stout. You'd be well off to get one!

Tony

Where is the best place to get the 15 x 56 swaro's, for the price, I have three of us interested?

I bought mine at Cameraland which is highly recommended here. Many people on this sight have used them. I had great service and prompt shipping. No complaints. Not to speak for them but three 15x56's might get you a break. Not sure if you're aware but the tripod adapter is included. Do a search for Cameraland.

Chaser, thanks I did a search, camerland is about 150 dollars more than the lowest I have found (not black market), I will keep searching.

Elkman7x7, thanks for the pm info., I would pm you back but my reply button disappeared two weeks ago. Thanks for the time you spent replying!!!!!

7X7, o.k. I liked that deal and ordered them through your place, told them you twisted my arm. Got all the toys with it, thanks again!!! Buncoboy

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom