Trekking w Llamas

gznokes

Very Active Member
Since I did my mtn goat hunt with llamas I've had a fair amount of interest in my experience with llamas so I thought I'd post a little info and see how it compares with others experience.

We rented the llamas. We got them for $35 a day from a guy out of Kuna, ID (near Boise--let me know if anyone wants his contact). They are kind of slow--only did about 1.5 miles per hour. Overall, I would recommend them. They haul 60-80 lbs of gear and are easy to take care of. They eat almost anything, drink very little, are easy to keep tied up. I think the main thing is to get a good string of animals that has some trail time.

We had them lay down a couple of times but were able to get them up by pulling them to the side or making a startling noise and frantic gesture in their direction. (used that one only after we were successful)

They aren't perfect but they are easier in some respects than horses.

As for spitting, during all the days we had them I saw them spit 2x at each other. They never spit at us. When they spit it looks like they are flinging a big wad of tobacco at each other.

How did you transport them? Did they have a trailer you could rent?

I'd be interested in the Kuna contact for future hunts.

Check out this website for his contact info. He has an email on there. (I don't want to post it here because a lot of spam programs comb blogs for spam targets.)

http://www.bcllama.com/Rlsorc.html

Two Rivers Llamas
Ken and Ginny Greger
2011 Luker Rd
Kuna, ID 83634
Ph - (208) 922-4807

He has a couple of options for transporting them including racks for the back of a pickup. Just talk to him about your situation. Ken is a nice guy. The packs and bags he sends out are easy to use and in good condition.

I used some llamas this year, too.
Mine were in good shape and quite willing to walk, although they are a bit slow going up hill. Mine wanted (and did eat) their way up the side of the mountian.
The ones I used also drank quite a bit, starting the first day. Because of the situtation I had to have them pack all of our water to camp and they drank it up rather fast...but it all worked out.
I'd use them again and I think they added to the overall experience, not to mention they saved my ageing back.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom