trekking poles

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-15 AT 11:53AM (MST)[p]How many reasons do you need?

Trekking poles, like ski poles, allow your arms to help propel you forward and upward. Whether walking on flat ground or up steep hills, poles can help to increase your average speed.
Poles reduce the impact on your legs, knees, ankles, and feet. This is especially true when going downhill. A 1999 study in The Journal of Sports Medicine found that trekking poles can reduce compressive force on the knees by up to 25 percent.
Trekking poles can be used to deflect backcountry nuisances. They can push away thorny blackberries and swipe away spider webs that cross trails-- which can help to make you more comfortable.
Walking with poles can help you establish and maintain a consistent rhythm, which can increase your speed. This is especially true on flatter, non-technical terrain.
The extra two points of contact significantly increase your traction on slippery surfaces like mud, snow, and loose rock.
Poles help you maintain balance in difficult terrain such as during river crossings, on tree root-strewn trails, and on slippery bog bridges. Staying balanced in turn helps you move more quickly and more easily.
Poles can act as a probe to give you more information than you can get with you eyes. Use them to learn more about puddles, melting snow bridges, and quicksand.
They can help to defend against attacks from dogs, bears and other wildlife. Swing them overhead to make yourself look bigger or throw them like a spear.
Trekking poles help to alleviate some of the weight you carry. For example, if you have a heavy pack on, and you take a short break, leaning on the poles will make you more comfortable.
Trekking poles can be used for things other than trekking. They save the weight of bringing dedicated tent poles; pitching a shelter with trekking poles can save up to two pounds. (Trekking poles are also much stronger and more rigid than tent poles, so they're less likely to break in high winds. This help creates safer shelters.) Poles can also double as a medical splint.
They can be used as a very stable shooting rest. My Swiss-Gear have lights in the handles that are adjustable for shining on the trails to come out of bad terrain at night.

That about covers it Blank! I will NOT head out in the hills anymore without my two poles, the difference they make on my worn out body is amazing, to say the least. Buy a good pair, you will never regret it...

>Poles help you maintain balance in
>difficult terrain....
>Staying balanced in turn
>helps you move more quickly
>and more easily.

This is the main benefit of using poles. Not having to use your core and legs to both climb and keep balance simultaneously saves an enormous amount of energy.

Years ago I believe there was a study that showed you use 11-15% less total energy with poles than without. That was for hikers on trails. For those of us going off trail in the crazy places we go, it's even more advantageous.

Cheers,
Pete

last year was my 1st year using them, cant hunt without them now, I told people 25% less energy but that study was all in my head

I doubted their value for years and then started hearing things like the above. My wife bought me a set a couple of years ago. They are the real deal. As stated, they save energy and are a real boon on steep hillsides and rough terrain. Make a decent rest for the binos as well...

Gotta have them for backpacking! I use mine while hunting quite often too. They make a world of difference in my opinion.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

I initally bought them to help reduce the impact on my knees when going downhill on very steep slopes. I didn't realize all the other benifits they provided me until I started using them. They were invaluable on my mtn goat hunt this last fall.

Smokepole

I've been using a single hiking/hunting stick for years and now going to get trekking poles. I saw some at REI last time I was in.

Great reply Blank. You covered everything! I had my doubts until I tried them on long backpack trips. One tip I would add... going uphill have one pole in front and one pole behind. Going downhill both poles in front. Sourkraut

Another tip (which works well for me); Decrease the length slightly when going uphill and increase the length slightly for going downhill. This works for me when I have long stretches of either up or down.

Like others have said, mountain hunting almost demands the use of poles and I'll never do a serious mountain hunt without them.
Zeke

Agree with the rest. For several years I used an old golf club handle with no club for day trips in the Wasatch and worked well

Never used them until I went with the boy scouts on a week long trek through the uintas (In at the north end by Wyoming and out by Moon Lake - Duchesne side). This was with all our gear for the week in a back pack. Used them and have never not thrown them in on any hiunt and use them when I believe I will get into much up and down climbing.

They do work well for all the reasons mentioned.

I was doubter for years. Once I got some I was hooked. The only negative would be the noise that is made. I mainly use them for the long hauls and then I put them in my pack when I get closer to my hunting spot. Shed hunting with them is a great way to try them out and get used to them

I got my carbon poles at COSTCO for $29. I have put the torque to them and they have held up flawlessly. Here is a partial picture of mine helping me haul a pack loaded with two hind elk quarters.

1060img_1503.jpg

I have be debating on getting some the past several years. I should get some because every person I talk to loves them. What are some good brands that don't break the bank?

For what it is worth, I own the Black Diamond Shock Flickload poles
They are not the cheapest, but they have a Shock absorber built in that cushions the load especially going down hill. I love that feature.

I once forgot my poles, while helping on a sheep hunt, so I found some sturdy limbs that substituted. Any pole is better than none IMO.

I cut bamboo poles and take them with me on my hunts. Cost me nothing and if I discard one during a hunt no big deal.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom