Trekking pole info

hossblur

Long Time Member
Got caught in some real bad deadfall last year. Trying to help my 8 and 12 year olds climb out tweaked the knee pretty bad.

So, I feel my manhood can take the verbal abuse.

I'm 6'5. My brain says with them extended out that far, I need to worry about strength.

So.

Alum or carbon?

Locking system?

Solid mid range pole?

What else should I look for?

TIA

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

I use them on every hunt or hike. Just makes life easier.

Do yourself a favor and buy Leki.

Carbon are my preference.

Not a wuss at all. They really help make you more stable and you will be surprised how much energy they save you on long tough hikes. Especially with a heavy load. I wouldn't try to pack out a boned deer or elk without them.

I'm partial to a really good set of Swiss Gear that my son gave me. In steep stuff they help a lot, and for sidehills I might adjust them to two different heights. Twist locks are fine, just keep them clean and wiped down. There are a lot of different brands available. My poles are metal and have molded handles. Flip up caps with forward facing trail lites in each also.

Black Diamond or Leki. Flicklock, not twist lock.

You get what you pay for in trekking poles. I use them and they make a big difference.

Don't buy any of the aluminum ones or ones that have a cord inside to hold the pieces together. They click every time they touch the ground and tink on every blade of grass. They are worse than your kid clunking and dragging his feet on every step. You can hear it from a mile or two away :)

Something like these
https://www.amazon.com/PEAK-WALK-Tr..._2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=4EVBRP6EMHY9VVS3SJMH

I have a pair of REI cam lock carbon ones that I've used 300-400 days now over the last 5 or 6 years and are still perfect. Quiet and work great as weed wackers too.

Doesn't matter what I'm doing or where I'm going in the mtns, I have them as they help you keep your balance as much as anything and it saves tons of energy. I can't emphasize it enough how just a dab of your pole keeps you over the ball of your feet and how much less energy jamming around trails takes with them.

Cheers, Pete

With trekking poles you may pay a lot of extra money for bells and whistles. Those bells and whistles may include fancy handles, carbon lightweight shafts, shock absorbing shafts or weird colors. I found out many years ago that some of the heaviest aluminum trekking poles are also the strongest. They are also usually the cheapest to purchase. I want strong as my major criteria for purchase. Another consideration when buying trekking poles involves whether you can get replacement tips for the trekking poles you buy. I bought some Black Diamond poles and found out that replacement tips were unavailable. The poles were still good but no replacement tips were available. The tips will wear out on every trekking pole you buy and it won't take more than a year or two with use. I prefer Leki with aluminum shafts. Ask them which of their poles are the strongest.

just sayin...mh

Best thing I've ever used with heavy packs on uneven terrain. Been using them for well over a decade.

Lots of great advice posted above.

I'm currently using a pair I won from a photo contest from Founder! Thanks B.L.!

Zeke

#livelikezac

Carbon is great, spring loaded helps, make sure you can get replacable tips AND rubber bumpers for quiter walking. I've used at least 10 models and broke them all.

>Carbon is great, spring loaded helps,
>make sure you can get
>replacable tips AND rubber bumpers
>for quiter walking. I've used
>at least 10 models and
>broke them all.

Not helpful? I want perfect first purchase?

Depends on usage. If you are looking for a pole to use all the time maybe you are better off spending some money on really nice poles, but I have used the same pair of cheaper aluminum poles for years without an issue. I only use them when backpacking in and when packing meat though. I find they get in the way when I am hunting, so I leave them strapped to my pack most of the time, but they are a lifesaver with a heavy pack. As stated above, the aluminum poles seem to be stronger than most of my buddies more expensive carbon poles that I have seen.

GOOD SUBJECT........I USE ALUMINUM SKI POLES, AND THEY SEEM TO DO JUST FINE. IS THERE A DOWN SIDE TO WHAT I AM USING ?? THEY WARE LIKE IRON, ARE LIGHT IN WEIGHT, & COST NOTHING AT A YARD SALE !!! YOUR THOUGHTS........& THANKS FOR YOUR TIME..............YD.

hoss,
I won't go hunting/hiking without my poles. I also use Black Diamond ficklocks which are spring loaded. YD, the advantage of trekking poles would be that they are collapsible and can be stored in your backpack when not in use. They can get in the way and make noise during a stock so I too put them on the pack til my prey is on the ground, but after that, they are a must for packing something out on your back.

Black Diamond carbon z lock, super light weight and fold up nice and small, once you start using them you will never leave home without them.

Leki brand. Cam lock gets hung up on brush, so I like twist lock, never had an issue, just takes a little more time. Carbon is strong and light, doesn't permanently bend, but shatters instead of bends when it reaches its load limit. Aluminum is cheaper. You probably want something that can let out to at least 135cm, maybe 140cm at your height. No even sure they make any that long, but test them out...

You might take a look at Leki's at Sierra Trading. I bought a pair around 10 years ago for around 1/2 price. I've used and abused them on sheep, mtn goat, and elk hunts and they are a life-saver when packing hefty loads!

>You might take a look at
>Leki's at Sierra Trading.
>I bought a pair around
>10 years ago for around
>1/2 price. I've used
>and abused them on sheep,
>mtn goat, and elk hunts
>and they are a life-saver
>when packing hefty loads!

Was on there this morning. You know how it is, I'm going to be the first in camp using them. The older guys don't, so if I pay big money and break one, the laughter at my "being a puss" will get even louder. You gotta be tough to be a pioneer?

I bought some carbon fiber black diamond poles about 5 years ago. They have been one of the best hunting purchases I've made. They really make hiking in steep country with heavy packs much easier. I'm tough on them and haven't broke them yet. I wear out a pair of boots every year or two, so I'm please with how they have held up. Mine allow me to screw in new tips. While hunting I like to have the rubber tips, so I don't make excess noise with them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom