tree stand advice / input please

orion23

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-09 AT 04:16PM (MST)[p]i have never owned one, played with one, climbed with one or hung one. Im looking to get one for archery elk season next year and would like anyones input on them.

self climbing or not?
recommend any or would not recommend any?
Are the self climbing ones hard to deal with day in and day out? Is it easer to just put one up and leave it for the season?

i know that the tree type would matter, multiple limbs, diameter and what not, but if the tree worked for both what would be the pros and cons of each style?

all advice is appreciated.

thanks.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Packs Dealer

i got a api grand magnum. i use it every year for the past 10-14 years. great stand and quiet. summit makes great climbers also. a couple of tips for u. #1 never climb a dead tree. # 2 always climb a tree with rough bark. smooth bark trees may let the stand slide down tree. get a branch saw and take it with u. if said stand comes with a strap to cinch the stand to tree after u are up said tree USE IT. if u gunna leave said stand to use later i recomend a cable lock system. and make sure the bottom part of stand is attached to top part at all times.

Stands are VERY effective, especially set over water or a wallow. If you are not worried about someone else using it or taking it then by all means leave it. More importantly is to buy a harness as it will save your life if you fall out.
kth

I have a Lone Wolf hand climber and a Summit Viper. Basically, the Lone Wolf is used for elk hunting and the Summit is used for deer hunting, since elk hunts are farther pack ins in mountains or thicker country. Since you are looking at one for elk hunting, I would definitely recommend the Lone Wolf hand climber, because you are probably going to be packing some distance, and the LW is 14.5 lbs and folds really compact. There are other stands out there about 14 lbs, but they don't fold flat like the LW hand climber. The viper is very comfortable but over 20 lbs and does not fold flat. I have used hang ons before, but not in a long time.

i have used both fixed and climbing stands. i like the versatility of climbers, but they dont compare in comfort to a rock solid good sized fixed stand. in addition, there is a time element to picking out and actually climbing the tree.

Summit climbers are great if you decide to go with a climber. if i find a place that a fixed stand wont work or i dont have the time to put one up, and i really like the specific location, i have left the upper seat portion of my climber in a tree and just carried the bottom part in and out each morning/night. you have to climb by hugging the tree (insert joke here), but it is a lighter commute.

i highly recommend it if you find the appropriate place, both for elk and deer.

good luck.

mshred

-Lone wolf: Great stand! Lightweight! expensive!
-Ole' Man: Awesome stand!!! Light!!! Good price!!!
-Summit:Great! not as light as two above, & pricey!

I have hunted from tree stands all my life! The ole man it the best stand I've ever used! lightweight, tons of attachments for it....& you can configure it a few different ways I.E. facing the tree, your back to the tree, gun rest up, or gun rest down for a foot prop :)!

The Lone wolf is great too just cost too much!

.....did i mention I reccommend the ole' Man :)

I have taken 2 elk out of a treestand. Very effective. I bought a guide gear stand last year and love it. Fold up seat, back rest, arm rest and foot rest with a harness for 60 bucks delivered to my door. The only complaint I have with it is I fell asleep in it and missed an opportunity on a deer.

I will be buying another for my wife.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Once again, I am surprised by how many guys on this site use climbing stands. IMHO they are too limiting. If you plan on hunting in the pines, you will need a hang on stand. Unfortunately, this means carrying steps as well.
Lots of great stands out there. Good luck.

Pretty interesting idea there, orion.
I really don't recall any archery guys that employ a stand, among the lot of them I know. But thinking if the spot is hot, one could whip it up as long as its down before Forest regs kick in or someone wants the 2x's for their campfire (ha!).
Do stands work for hunting Elk, fellow MMers?
I'm honest about the possibility and my question.

Rump

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom