Translocated Deer Update (2-23/3-1)

Founder

Founder Since 1999
I'm sure a fan of this type of project. Good on the folks who made this happen. I know SFW and UDWR are main players. Good place to spend money and see how this might work, if at all.

----------------------------------------------------
Mule deer translocation update for February 23rd-March 1st

* We have no additional mortalities to report this week for either resident or translocated deer.

* We've listened for radio signals 2 times since the last update and identified the general location for 49 of 49 resident deer and 45 of 46 translocated deer.

* We are missing one translocated deer. This deer was missing during the last week of January and the first week of February, but has been heard twice a week since then. This female has been north of the first release site and we suspect she has moved into a side canyon. We will focus on locating her following the second capture.

* We have continued to carefully (without disturbing them) observe translocated deer. We have now observed 21 different translocated deer.
All but one of them has been associated with groups of resident deer.
Although time intensive, we will continue these efforts over the next several weeks.

* This week, we downloaded data from 1 GPS collar. We have now
downloaded a total of 10 GPS collars, all of which appear to be working well.

* We have been preparing for the second capture next week. We are collaring deer on the Monroe Saturday-Monday and should be on the Parowan Front starting Tuesday.

* In summary, we've had six total mortalities (1 of 50 resident deer, 5 of 51 translocated deer). At least one of the translocated deer died of capture myopathy. Forty nine resident deer and 45 translocated deer were alive and accounted for this week.
----------------------------------------------------

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I suggested this 25 years ago!

I was Quickly told I did not have a Degree in Wildlife Biology!

You're Right!

Don't have one & Damn sure don't think you need one to see the Light!

Kinda Funny how it's working 25 years later,WTF?

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

Almost all these does we're pregnant sounds like to me fawns are hitting the ground in utah and our herds are not increasing. Coyotes must be taking them fawns within the first 6 months of life.

edwardsc

I think there is a study currently on the Monroe mountain looking at that issue directly. Someone correct me if im wrong.

It's nice to have a good word here on the ole MM site every once in a while!
Thanks Founder!
Zeke

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom