Training for a hunt.

O

o2bwest

I'm curious how different people prepare physically for a back country hunt. We are hunting a pretty physically demanding unit this fall, and I want to make sure I'm ready for it.

I have started doing the Insanity DVD workout. I'm 2 workouts into the 60 day program and it hasn't killed me but it has come close.

Picked up a mountain bike, I also scout as much as possible.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

For me its being mentally ready too. Spend several days out there when things are tough and it can bring you down.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Nothing will prepare you better than doing your training in the mountains. You can run your guts out in the gym all you want, but when you walk 500yds at 9000ft elevation you'll realize all that work in the gym at city level didn't do what you thought it would......but it'll help!! ;-)

>Nothing will prepare you better than
>doing your training in the
>mountains. You can run your
>guts out in the gym
>all you want, but when
>you walk 500yds at 9000ft
>elevation you'll realize all that
>work in the gym at
>city level didn't do what
>you thought it would......but it'll
>help!! ;-)
>
>
>
>
>

I'm sure that's true. I live at bout 1600' so training for altitude is difficult. I'm hoping that Insanity will be over kill enough to make up for my relatively low altitude.

I hike and lift weights...as far as the elevation, I get there 48 hours prior to the hunt. It makes a world of difference to spend 48 hours in town at 8000 ft prior to going to 11000 ft in the mountains. And as an earlier post mentioned, get you mind ready!

Run and hike. I just ran a half-marathon and will do a few 5k's and at least two more half's before hunting season starts. Spending the $$$ to actually enter a "race" keeps me motivated to keep plugging along. I know I'll never win anything, but the satisfaction of finishing is enough.

I went through this last year and decided on being able to run 6 miles in an hour as an indication that I was in shape for hunting. I do a decent amount of manual labor around the house and play a little bit of farmer so I don't feel that I need to do much weightlifting or anything like that.

I really felt like I was really in good shape and hunted hard for 5 days when I would have probably worn myself out much sooner if I hadn't been in that good of shape. On the 4th day I was 7 miles in from the trailhead at 10,250' elevation in 6" of snow on my way back down the mountain at 9:00 AM when I encountered a guy on horseback on his way up the mountain. I think all the working out was worth it just to see the look on his face.

After seeing how much more enjoyable my season turned out last year I decided to take it up a notch this year and be in good enough shape to run a half marathon in 2 hours. I didn't realize how much more difficult that would be than running 6 miles in an hour as not only is it more than twice as far, but it is also at a full minute per mile faster over the entire distance. It took some work but I already pulled it off at the end of April, running 13.1 miles in 1 hour 55 minutes and 43 seconds. I'm running about 25 miles per week now just staying in shape over the summer and might push the mileage up a bit once it starts cooling down.

One important thing I've learned is that you need to do the vast majority of your training at a very easy pace. You shouldn't be sucking air and struggling on a training jog, you should feel like you could carry on an easy conversation with someone if they were running with you. Most of my training runs right now are in the 11 minute per mile range, but that slower pace really builds your aerobic engine and thats what you need for hunting anyway.

It is probably a good idea to do some cross training to build and strengthen your legs with stairs or an elliptical on full resistance as well to help on the hills.

Also one of the best tips is to either get to altitude that you are going to hunt a few days before the hunt or just take it easier the first couple days of your hunt while you aclimatize. If you get to 8,000' elevation from 1,600' elevation and start going as hard as you can that same day you are going to wear yourself out no matter what kind of shape you are in.

Probably more info than you wanted but that's my thoughts on the subject.

FWIW, Nathan

Slam hit the nail on the head.
If your hunt involves hiking with a backpack then your workouts should be geared to hiking in the mountains with a backpack.
When you can't be specific with your workout then all the other stuff will help.... some.

I'm getting ready for a backpack sheep hunt (less than 3 weeks away now) and I've been mountain hiking, with weight, 5 miles up to 12 miles 4x per week. Of course at my age I have to work a little harder to accomplish what used to come easy.

Good luck on your hunt!
Zeke

Running is always good to build aerobic base, running with a pack at altitude is even better. I have added a high wasatch trail with a 25 lb pack on my back, 3 miles in and 3 back at a pace as fast as I can stand. Wow what a difference it is making. A 10k in the vally is a breeze now! I do most of my hunting with a bow so an upper body weight workout 3x aweek is also a necessity. My advice..find something that you like to do and stick with it,everything that has been mentioned will help a lot. Just DO it,Good Luck!

I am older 62. Getting fit for a high elevation mountain hunt is very demanding. The flat land workouts are great and any way you can strenghten your body will pay off in the mountains. Along with physical strenght workouts. For me nothing works better than putting on my hiking boots and climbing mountains or hills close to home. After serveral hikes I slap on a backpack with weight and continue this type of workout until ready for the backpack hunting trip. This type of workout seems to strengthen everything accept getting acculmated to the higher elevation which drains my strength and kicks my ass the first couple of days above 8500ft. If you can best to go a couple of days early and let you body adjust to the higher elevation. If you can make a few trips to similar elevations to work out, hike with a backpack and reasonable weight. That will pay off big time for your backpack trip. I use bottled water as my backpack weight. One can drink it, carry it or dump it if one gets a bit over done. That method at least I am not stuck carring the weight back down the mountain unless I wish to do so.

))))------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom