Trailer trouble

S

star

Well..was out for a hunt this past week-end only to have my travel trailer batteries that wont charge on a Nash 03 22H.I got 2 new Inerstate batteries.lasted a few days fully charged ..& wont charge w/ the generator ..have a 1 yr. old inverter replaced..but Im puzzeled..why wont the lights perk up when I pluged in the generator 110???

I'm no expert. My dad had a similiar problem this year with his trailer. If the generator is an on board generator there is a box behind it that has to be plugged in to get the power to the trailer. Somehow it got unplugged. Hope that helps.
Traditional only >>>------->

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-10 AT 08:27PM (MST)[p]I'm always asking for help when it comes to wires. As my brother-in-law always tells me, "Do you have a meter? Follow the wires and check where the power ends. You will find the problem." Then he pulls out his meter, finds the problem, and fixes it. It's great to have someone around that is smarter than I am.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-10 AT 06:41AM (MST)[p]Most Inverters that are replaced only have/had one thing wrong with them,a 2.99 Slow-Blow Fuse,check the Fuse with a Meter after you pull it out,more than likely it's not a Fuse you can inspect with your eyes & tell if it's any good!

Take a cheap 12 volt Meter & check voltage coming out of the Inverter with generator off & then check with generator on!

You''ve got:

A bad Inverter/blowed Fuse!

Or!

A bad Wire!

Or

A/some Loose Wires!

Or!

Make sure the Extension Cord running from your generator to your Trailer is good!

Or!

Make sure the Generator itself is Throwing 120 volts!(Just cuzz it's running doesn't mean it's generating power!)

Or!

Some Bad/Dirty connections some where!

With the generator running,when you plug the power cord in to your trailer,Do you hear the relay snap(close) in the Inverter?

If all checks good I'd surely check the ground wire,alot of ground wires they put on camp trailers are not very heavy & poorly installed!

If in Doubt on the ground,take one of your jumper cables and hook it to the ground on one of your batteries and hook the other end to a clean/shiny/bare metal surface on the frame of the trailer!(You might have to scrape/buff a spot so you know for sure you're getting a good ground!(This is just a temporary check!)

Depending on the Trailer?There's a panel box in there somewhere,check all Breakers & make sure there isn't one kicked before it goes to the Inverter!

EDIT:Let us know what you find?

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

Check your ground. I had a trailer do that last summer and it was all ground. It drained the batteries fast and wouldn't charge with the solar pannels. Good luck. I hate electrical problems!!!!

It's always an adventure!!!

I have seen the batteries hooked up backwards before. + to -, - to +. The lights and pump will still work becuase they are DC, but it generally blows the fuse on the inverter. I would check the fuse and the batteries.

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, then why did He make them out of meat?"
~Ted Nugent

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom