Trail Camera Viewers

S

stikflikr

I'm looking for some ideas to view photos AND videos in the field, including image transfer to copy to storage and being able to delete images and return the card back to the camera(without packing a laptop in the field).
I have a Moultrie viewer and the concept is right, but it is slow and cumbersome, especially when copying. It also won't play videos from my newer cameras. There was an issue last night where I tried to delete the card for the camera and instead it deleted the card it carried for storage. Today I had to download some software to retrieve the 1227 photos from the deleted card. I'm sure glad that was possible.
I know some guys use there video camera or point-and-shoot to view their stuff in the field, however there are endless choices in that arena. What is your favorite way to handle viewing in the field? Which makes and models of still and video cameras work for the .avi files that trail cams use?

a laptop is a pain to pack around but i found taking my kodak camara works. the only way it works is whatever card i put in that is has to be less megapixels than the camara. anything bigger than the camara shows black photos.

now i just swap out memory cards instead of packing devices.

I just use my Droid X and buy Micro SD Cards that have the SD adapter. Plug the Micro into the adapter and use in your Trail Cam, then take the Micro SD and put into your phone - WORKS GREAT! Plus its a fairly big screen and I always have my phone with me and Ican delted photos etc or send them to email etc when I get back to cell service.

?-ERock-> ?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-12 AT 09:56PM (MST)[p]Erock,

That's not a bad idea. You can probably copy the new stuff to the phones memory too. Have you ever had any problems reading a particular kind of file?

Stikflikr if you have access to an iPad Apple sells a SD card adapter that comes with an adapter to actually plug your camera in via a USB port, makes it quick to view, dowload, delete and do whatever your heart desires. Only catch is you have to have an iPad and the SD card connector/usb connector package costs about 30 bucks I think... Just an idea.

+1 TWALL

The I-Pad and adaptor works great. Nice big screen, great resolution, great battery life, compact, etc. You can transfer and view your video clips as well. Great solution for transferring and field viewing your camera files...

Horniac

Other than the cost, that would be an ideal way to do it. I'm a Mac user anyway so it would be easy to jump on that. Maybe when the new small one comes out that will be an option.

Another thing I love about it on the iPad, as soon as I hit WiFi the pics are automatically uploaded to my mac and my iPhone so I can show those pics off to my buddies. Hopefully I get some new pics of the bucks I've been watching tomorrow...

HorseCreek,

My new Cypershot won't read the pics off the card. What camera/trail cam combo are you using? I've been trying to find a small camera that would read the card.

>Use your digital camera
>
>
>Traditional >>>------->

I know a lot of guys that use those but like Chewy, my wife's Coolpix won't play videos. My DLSR's only use CF cards. I do like the idea of some of these viewers will store what is on the trailcam card and then you can delete that card and leave it with the Trailcam. I even have a Droid X2 but to change the Micro SD I have to pull the battery and restart. All the rest of the pros about the Droid are great. So I also would be curious which point and shoot cameras will work with the still photos and .avi videos that we need to view.
I found a viewer from Hunten Outdoors that seems like a good product but I haven't heard about that brand yet.

I have a cool pix (don't know what model) and a few different trail cams. Tasco, moultrie, and Ive used it on a bunch more cameras that were friends trail cams. I've never had an issue.

Traditional >>>------->

I also just use a point and shoot digital camera. I use my wife's old Canon and have never had problems viewing video or photos. I do swap cards though and download the card at home.

I guess I should look into a card adapter for my IPhone. That is an interesting idea.... Can it be done with an IPhone or is it only possible with an IPad?

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

@packout, unfortunately it only works with the iPad, I wish it worked with the phone, it would save me having to pack my iPad in the woods.

The iPad with the adaptor is far superior for viewing and transferring files than the use of a digital camera IMO. I have used a digital camera in the past and there is no comparison. Apple products just seem to work with everything. Also, It is hard to view what you have in the field on the small LCD screen of a camera. I also don't know how you could strip your fles to a digital camera without swapping chips unless both the trail camera and the digital camera can be connected via a USB port. You can get an iPad-2 for about $400 - about the price of two decent trail cameras or a good digital camera. A little bit of an investment up front, but then again you can use it for so much more than just viewing and transferring trail camera photos. Mine has almost replaced my laptop...

Horniac

Never had an issue with a digital camera for viewing. The ipad has got me curious though. I may have to try it. I didn't realize they had an sd port.

>+1 TWALL
>
>The I-Pad and adaptor works great.
>Nice big screen, great resolution,
>great battery life, compact, etc.
>You can transfer and view
>your video clips as well.
>Great solution for transferring and
>field viewing your camera files...
>
>
>Horniac

I can't get my Ipad to view the .avi videos unless my computer changes them to .mp4 using handbrake. How do you view them right on the spot? (This isn't a problem with the pictures, and I do have an SD card reader for it.)

I can't get my Ipad to view the .avi videos unless my computer changes them to .mp4 using handbrake. How do you view them right on the spot? (This isn't a problem with the pictures, and I do have an SD card reader for it.)

(sorry for the double entry)

Swab sd cards... Cheapest, easiest, lightest...

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-12 AT 08:53PM (MST)[p]why wouldnt you just use your regular point and shoot camera? most will let you use the zoom to get a closer look. pack an extra sd card if its something you want a better look at on a comp then swap the sd

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom