TRAIL CAM LAW!

Ya!

And none of them know it's illegal to destroy Public Ground on a Quad niether!

Looks like them Trail Cams are Free Targets up until a week before season!:D

Go ahead,tell me 2 wrongs don't make a right & I'll tell you my "GIVE A DAMN" is running a little thin!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Well this certainly puts a new twist on the saga.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

B_Bop---I have to agree with you in that if they are out there illegally they are free for the taking until the time they are legal to be out there. I wouldn't call that stealing, but more like finding something that has been lost and can't be traced to the rightful owner. Who would be stupid enough to try and turn somebody in for taking an item that shouldn't have even been there in the first place!

I did not know that law until I read that article by the UDWR. My camera should be in a legal place, but I didn't put it up so I don't know. I hope it is legal.

My opinion on this law is that it is not really enforceable. A law is only as good as the enforcement.

Has anyone been ticketed for putting a trail camera up early? I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for this with the Forest Service.

I ain't messin with nobody's Trail Cams!

But I'm gettin sick of wondering if I'm gettin my picture took every time I take a Wisz!:D (Sorry Wisz!:D)

Well dillon?

There's been alot of Public Ground Shredded By Law Breakers!

Very Few Citations ever wrote!

As soon as Trail Cams are outlawed/destroyed I suppose Google Earth will eventually take over and improve & you'll be able to count points/officially score PISSCUTTERS from your front room!

Where will it all end before the whole World is f'd up?

I don't own a trail cam, but I am going to call BS on this "law".

Trail cameras would not necessarily be considered a hunters tool exclusively and if I were a "nature faker photo pfag", I might want to view teddy bears and Bambis', interacting with their mommys'.....anytime of year!

"What's good for me, ain't necessarily good for the weak minded"

Can anybody point me to the Utah Code that prohibits trail cams until one week before the hunt? I haven't been able to find anything about it.

Learn the rules

The 2011 Utah Big Game Field Regulation Guidebook is the place to go to learn the rules for Utah's archery hunts.

Equipment rules for the hunt (minimum pull of 40 pounds at the bow's draw; arrows must be at least 20 inches long from the tip of the arrowhead to the tip of the nock, and must weigh at least 300 grains; and arrowheads must have two or more sharp-cutting edges that cannot pass through a 7/8-inch ring) are found on page 28 of the guidebook.

Pages 9?14 also provide good information for archery deer and elk hunters.

The free guidebook is available at wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks and from DWR offices and hunting license agents across Utah.

Trail cameras, tree stands and ATVs

If you want to learn more about the wildlife in your hunting area, placing a trail camera or two in the area is a great idea. But please remember that you may not place a camera on any national forest until one week before the hunt on that forest starts.

This law has been in effect for two or three years. Ted Hendricks, recreation manager for the Uinta National Forest, says you don't need to register your trail camera with the U.S. Forest Service at the present time.
Tree stands are a popular tool for patient archery hunters. But please remember that you cannot build a permanent tree stand on a national forest.

(Permanent tree stands damage trees. Trees often have to be removed after permanent stands have been built on them. There's also the risk that someone who cuts into the tree with a chainsaw at a later time might be hurt by hidden nails and other hardware.)

Temporary tree stands?the type you climb up the tree with?are legal to use.
Hendricks also reminds you that you may not take an all-terrain vehicle off-road to retrieve game.
Take Utah's Bowhunter Education course

Taking the DWR's Bowhunter Education course is another great way to prepare for the upcoming season.

The course teaches the basics of archery hunting and is for youth and adults alike. DWR Shooting Sports Coordinator RaLynne Takeda says the agency is trying to offer at least one new bowhunter education course each week, from now until the archery hunts begin.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-11 AT 06:03PM (MST)[p]that is a bunch of DWR bull #####! I realy would disregard the law if it wasn't for the fact the if i get a camra taken off the mountain their is nothing I could do about it

It is probably a regulation propogated by the UDWR or some Fed for the National Forest. The legislature or Congress delegates to a state or federal agency the authority to make rules. Thus, you may not find a law regarding trail cams in the state code or federal code.

Delegation occurs because the legislature doesn't have time to make up every single rule on game management. Instead, the legislature creates a law investing the power to make all necessary rules for game managment to the UDWR. The UDWR then makes the rules. The rule will be in writing somewhere though (Code of State Regulations-CSR for states; Code of Federal Regulations-CFR for feds).

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-11 AT 08:09AM (MST)[p] What is to prevent a person from putting 50 cameras up in every tree around a promising waterhole? I just don't see why people should be allowed to put up cameras on public ground. Doesn't make sense. Where do you draw the line on this type of thing. Could you go hang a camera up in the median of a highway or off the roof of the entry office into Yellowstone, or maybe the front gate of the Pentagon, etc,??? They are all public ground and my example may be far fetched but come on, try doing some real scouting. I read one story where an outfitter had over 70 cameras set up on public ground and was pissed someone had taken his memory cards on a few of them. I know its cheaper to buy a camera than actual live scouts, but get real. Public means "all of us tax paying Americans", in my opinion. Get some private ground and hang all of them you want. Then if they get stolen or jacked with you can have a legitimate argument or reason for nailing the thieve's ass. Personall, I wouldn't mess with anything of anybody else's anywhere on public, but am sure there are plenty who would.

T264

it would be interesting to know whether this is federal or state law, last time i checked and i may be very wrong, but the state is unable to mandate a law on federal ground AKA national forest.

littlebeaver.jpg

a32_cleaners.jpg

It's not a state law, that's why it is limited to National Forests only, and not state lands. Notice they don't state BLM lands either? Rules specific to a National Forest would have to be implemented by the USFW. So it is a law...a federal one.

I personally think that everyone can put up cameras if they want to, and if you don't want to, then don't. I think people need to stop worrying about what other people are doing and just do what you're doing. And if you see someone else's camera up "a week before they are supposed to be up" then who cares. Just let them get in trouble themselves... Just my opinion...
))))--------------->
Bowhunting

Follow my hunts at: http://www.nvbowhunting.blogspot.com

I guess the USFS was getting tired of receiving complaints of stolen or tampered trail cam's on national forest land.

Eldorado

If no one was stupid and stole stuff that didn't belong to them and didn't complain about stuff that wasn't a big deal then we wouldn't even be talking about this... But that's never gonna change so oh well lol
))))--------------->
Bowhunting

Follow my hunts at: http://www.nvbowhunting.blogspot.com

"Hendricks also reminds you that you may not take an all-terrain vehicle off-road to retrieve game."

I spit my beer all over my screen! LMAO!

Eel

I spoke with the DWR about the article and they told me if it were an actual law it would have been referenced in the article. The DWR directed me to the Forest Service, so I called the FS and they couldn't tell me about any laws stating trail cams were only to be placed out 1 week prior to the hunt in that area. The only thing the FS told me about was the 14 day camp restriction. Blah, Blah, Blah...I really love how the DWR can't even back up their own articles.

The longer I'm on this site and the more I hear about the Utah F&G or DWR or whatever it's called, the more I think they are a bunch of boneheads!

Update on this I have a friend at the forest service who called this release to the attention of Ted Henricks. He stated that he was mis-quoted in this press release and that he would contact the DWR about fixing it, but there is no laws requarding trail cameras on national forest land.

How in the he doubletoothpicks could the DWR misquote a person as bad as that article did? Now I KNOW they are boneheads for sure!!!

This was posted on another Forum...

"Good News! I am Scott Root, Conservation Outreach Mgr. for the DWR and I wrote the article on preparing for the archery hunt and the new law about only being able to put cameras out "the week before the hunt". I had your forum comments forwarded to me. I am also an avid trail camera user and have written several articles about this topic (my favorite hobby). The information given to me, regarding "one week before the hunt" was very disturbing as well. So as to not hurt agency relations, I won't comment on the "misquoted" issue. However, I called the USFS to re-check into the information and law about "When trail cameras can be put out" and it was stated to me that there is indeed no law out there limiting when trail cameras can be put up in the forest. I apologize for the confusion (and probably loss of sleep by many of us) over this incorrect statement! Go get your cameras set up!!! P.S. I will try and write and release an article today about the joy of using trail cameras and insert the correct information into the article and state that there has been some confusion over when cameras can be put out."

I guess that solves it.

Grizzly

Awesome thanks for the update Scott... Not always easy to come across the correct information, especially with the way the web is now. Thanks for coming out and letting us all know the skinny on this topic.

A week before the hunt??? What hunt???? Have them out all year for your coyote hunt!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom