Tracking wounded dangerous game

eelgrass

Long Time Member
Kind of slow this time of year, so......

How many of you have had to follow up a wounded bear? All wounded game can be dangerous of course, but going in after a bear is a thrill all its own.

Let's hear any stories you have about wounded bears or other dangerous game that you have been involved with. This could include African animals too.

What do you think is the best strategy for following up a dangerous animal?

My partner and I spotted a big black bear one morning. The bear came down the hill and crossed the old skid road we were on. When he was on the road we both shot, but my partner shot a split second before me. The bear dove off the road and down into a thick huckleberry patch.

We were standing on the road looking down where the bear went, thinking oh crap! We couldn't see anything or hear anything. I told my partner, since he shot first, it was rightfully his bear, and that I would stay up on the road and he could yell if he needed help. He wasn't up for that, so eventually we split up and headed down after it. We hunted for a couple hours and never saw any blood or any evidence that the bear was even hit. How two guys could both miss a bear at 50 yards is beyond me, but I guess we did. It was a weird feeling being down in the thick stuff not knowing though.

Eel

it's not a 40 incher but it's closer than the last 40 incher you posted....

JB

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-11 AT 12:53PM (MST)[p]I've had this happen a few times.

Once was in September of 1984 in British Columbia. I was hunting with an Indian guide near Atlin, and I shot a grizzly. It ran off and we proceeded to follow it, me and 'Fred the Magic Indian' (my nickname for him, as he was a total dingbat loser). Anyway, Fred didn't have a gun at all, and he demanded that I give him by 300 Winchester so that he could kill the bear if it was still alive. After about 10 very tense minutes, the bear stood up in waist high willow brush and it was very close. I turned and started backing out since I didn't have any firearm at all, having given my rifle to the Magic Indian as he demanded. Imagine my surprise when good ole Fred ran past me with my rifle! He never fired a shot, just turned and ran for his life. I caught up with him, fortunately the bear was hit real hard and didn't pursue us, and wrestled my rifle away from him. I then returned to find the bear and finished it off. It wasn't a very big bear, despite what Fred kept telling me, but it was a beautiful silvertip pelt with long hair. When my shipment came home from BC, the bear skin was missing. I imagine Fred the Magic Indian has enjoyed it for many years on the floor of his cabin.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-11 AT 09:15PM (MST)[p]
Well Eel, your thread seems like it's off to a slow start, so I'll post another example.

The first time I ever had to follow wounded dangerous game was in 1983, on a safari in Zimbabwe. On the 6th day of a 24 day hunt, we were into a large herd of elephants, about 50-70 animals, in fairly thick bush. We found a good bull that was in musth (musth is when an elephant bull is in the rut), and he was pretty aggresive. Anyway, we snuck into the herd and were trying to get close enough for a good shot on the bull, when all of a sudden they must have smelled us, and spooked. We had elephants stampeding all around us and as soon as we saw which way the bull was going, we were off at a run alongside the herd as we tried to head him off. Several times, we set up in small openings, only to have him go running through without offering a shot opportunity. The bull knew we were pursuing him, and wasn't giving us any opportunity at all.

Finally, about the 3rd or 4th time we set up, the bull had enough of our nonsense. He came to a clearing, stopped and turned his head to look directly at us, kneeling in the open about 40 yards away. I had agreed with my PH that I would only take a heart shot, not a brain shot, and you don't change things up on elephant bulls without some prior communication, as a misplaced shot can result in a lost ele, or worse, someone getting killed. Anyway, the bull turned and came walking directly toward us, but his trunk was hanging down directly in front of where I needed to aim to place my shot into his heart, so I held me fire. I should mention that Roy Vincent,my PH, was shooting a 460 Weatherby, and I was shooting a Colt Sauer bolt rifle in 458 winchester.

We were kneeling side by side and had our rifles up, me waiting for a clear shot at my target, and Roy covering in case the sh!t hit the fan. It was about to do just that.....

As the bull approached, he seemed gigantic, but then a 13' tall animal that weighs about 12,000 pounds will seem that way when you're kneeling down and he's 20 yards and continuing to come closer. When the bull got to about 17 or 18 yards, Roy whipered "He's too close" and the bull kept walking calmly with nothing between us but dirt and clean Zimbabwe air. A couple more steps and Roy whispered, louder and very urgently "He's too damned close" and at that very moment the bull pinned his ears back, dropped his head and came for us!

The time it took all this to happen was seconds, probably less than 30 seconds from the time the bull entered that final clearing until he came for us, but the final part seemed to happen in slow motion with very clear focus. As the bull dropped his head and charged, his trunk swung to his right, revealing the "V" where the neck muscles converged and which was my aiming point. I immedicately sent a 500 grain Hornady solid on its way, while Roy fired at about the same instant, sending another 500 grain solid low between the bulls eyes, and below the brain. We both jumped up to our feet as the bull stopped in his tracks, he was now at about 9-10 yards, and I quickly cycled my bolt to load another round and finish him, and my f**k!ng gun jammed!!!

Roy was standing next to me, with his rifle up covering the bull, and urgently telling me (that means SHOUTING) "Shoot him again, Kill Him". Try as I might, I couldn't get a shell into the chamber as the top one in the magazine had come out tilted up and the speed and force with which I'd cycled the bolt caused it to be completely stuck tight without sliding into the chamber. The elephant was staggering around in front of us, Roy never taking his eyes off him while continuing to urge me to shoot him and me yelling back that "My f'ing gun is jammed"! Roy had purposely shot the bull low between the eyes, trying to stop the charge, but not wanting to kill 'my' elephant for me. Thinkig back, it was pretty incredible how calm and cool Roy was with all the chaos, and when the bull finally turned and began running away, he took a quick look at my rifle, told me to fix it quick and that he was going to keep up with the bull to make sure it didn't get away. Roy then ran after the bull, quickly disappearing into the dense bush while I frantically worked on my thoroughly jammed rifle. Over the next minute or so, I'd hear a single shot here and there, never more than one at a time.

After what seemed like forever, using a knife as a pry tool, I finally got the stuck shell out and magazine box removed. I quickly put a new shell on top, slammed it home and took off running after Roy and the bull. Following a panicked and fleeing elephant is easier than one might think, as my bull had run in a straight line, knocking down everything in its way, including small trees! All I had to do was run through the destruction he left in his wake and toward the next shot I heard. After running perhaps 300-400 yards, I caught up with Roy and the now more or less finished elephant. Roy was standing off to the side of it a ways, and it was quartering away from me at about 30 yards. Roy said to break it's spine and my shot immediately put it down for good.

After it was all over, the feelings were pretty intense. From adrenalin, focus, sheer terror and just about everything else you can imagine, it was a hunt worth every dollar it cost. That elephant closed out my first week of african hunting at the ripe old age of 24, and what a week it had been, including taking a big cape buffalo bull at 13 yards just a few days earlier. I never would have believed that any animal could absorb a 500 grain soft point to the shoulder at that close distance without showing any sign of being hit, and thankfully he went tail over nose at a full gallop about 100 yards away. Since that elephant experience with Roy, we've had a couple more very close encounters following up wounded cape buffalo, including nearly getting gored by a cow and missing her at 3' one time, but nothing will ever match that experience with the wounded bull elephant and a jammed rifle in my hands.

Who else has some experiences to share? I don't want to hog this thread all by myself.

350deka_jumbo.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-11 AT 03:07PM (MST)[p]I don't know how much danger I was actually in while this hunting trip, but here goes anyways.
It was Oct. of 2005 in the end of the Montana General bow season. I had already got my elk, and was looking for a reason to get out. Since I didn't have much time to go stalk a mulie, I figured that going and sitting in some willows and wait for a whitetail buck to walk by would be a good way to pass the time.
10 minutes of driving and I was there. I had to walk across a large field and then through a couple patches of aspen trees to get to where I wanted to sit for the night. Each time I passed through the aspens I bumped out deer. All these deer would run back to the last patch of aspens and hang up in there, because there was nowhere else for them to go. Soon I found a place that looked to be a natural funnel, so I tucked myself back in the trees and set up for the evening. Soon I spotted a nice buck headed across the field in front of me and headed towards the tree line I was set up in. But he was headed to far to my left and I wasn't going to have a chance for a shot. 5 more minutes passed, suddenly I caught movement to my left. Only 30 yards away stood the buck that i thought was long gone. He had a scrape line that ran right in front of me... I luckily set up perfectly.
The buck just took his time and was soon only 15 yards and I was at full draw. I just knew this deer was mine. I put my first pin right behind his shoulder and let fly. Half way between me and him was a branch that deflected the arrow harmlessly over his back. He jumped and trotted out to about 40 yards. This was the maximum distance that I had felt comfortable shooting so I had quickly nocked another arrow, pull back and shot. To my amazement the arrow flew very weird and struck him right in the center butt, dropping him instantly. Gathering my composure I loaded another arrow, as he struggled to his feet. I shot again only to see the arrow skip off his back. I was sick to my stomach. I couldn't believe what had just happened I felt very bad for even taking that second shot, for now I had a wounded deer to chase after. The buck made it back across the field and bedded up on the tree line on the other side. I could only see the rack over a small lump now. I watched him for about 20 minutes and decided I had better try to get another arrow in him, . (Thinking back on it now, I probably should have left for the night and came back in the morning, but I had so much adrenaline running through me, I wasn't thinking straight.)
I backed out of my location, and made a long, slow quiet circle around the buck. As I crept through the twig covered ground I started to feel that I was very close. Soon I could see him only 10 yards away. I had no shot although, so I circled the big willow he was laying under. Suddenly he jumped up and ran. He wasn't running to fast so I said to myself, "just get um." So I took off hot on his heals, ducking and dodging branches, trying to head him off. Finally he ran into a thick small patch of trees. There was only one trail in and one trail out, so I ran around to the other side and started heading straight for him. I rounded a willow and WAM, there we are face to face only about 2 feet away from each other. He was tired and not wanting to turn around so he put his antlers down and charged. I came fleeing out of the trees as fast as I could, with this buck on my heals. At the end of the tree's I dodged right and he dodged left.
He wasn't moving fast at all now, that took a lot of his energy out of him, so I was able to finally finish him with my final arrow. He was a nice 4 by 4 buck. My first whitetail buck with a bow.
After further investigation, I found that the arrow that first hit him in the rump was missing a fletching for some reason. I have a whisker bisket on my bow and the fletching was laying on the ground where i shot from.

Here is story of my uncle encounter with a black bear while bow hunting a couple years ago. Sorry,, its kind of hard to read: you could read it here also:http://www.websaylor.com/current145.html

7150george_story_1.jpg

4379george_story_2.jpg

"Like a midget at the urinal, always be on your toes!"
www.Anacondatreasure.com
www.rwmurals.com
http://www.themontanagallery.com/

Good stuff guys! I was holding my breath on those.

Let's hear some more!

Dan, no wonder you don't choke on Greenwing Teal.:)

Eel

My story could easily be titled Who's the dumbest guy you know. I had just turned 16 and my hunting world opened up with the purchase of a 1971 blazer. I also had an Az Archery Elk tag in my pocket. My summer plans included hauling a 100 gallon tank off the side of a mountain. I laid out a bunch of plastic on the hillside to collect rain water into my tank. I hauled in some salt licks hung a tree stand and created my own Elk hunting paradise.

The evening of my second day I could hear the noise of footsteps moving in from behind me. I remained still and waited as I just knew the Elk would soon be at my tank. Moments latter I catch movement as a tiny black blob runs beneath my stand. It's getting dark when i realize that a sow bear and her 3 cubs have come to drink at my tank. This is where the stupid part comes in. I decide that it would be good practice to draw on the momma bear. Then I get a dumber idea. I draw and release a rubber blunt tip and absolutely whack the momma bear. BIG MISTAKE !!! That momma bear stands and roars looking to destroy what just hit her. The cubs scramble and climb the surrounding trees. One cub is 5 feet away from me in the same tree as the momma continues to roar. Mind you that it is full on dark now and I have a furious momma on the ground and one of her cubs 5 feet from me in the same tree. Yikes. It took another 20 minutes before the momma calmed down and she and the cubs scamper out of the tree and off into the darkness. I sat there shaking for another hour before finding the nerve to get down. When my feet hit the ground I covered that mile out of the canyon faster than any bear could have caught me.

I went down to hunt feral hogs in texas two years ago. I had never hunted or been around them much to know what they are like. I kept asking my friend who grew up hunting them, "what if they come after me?" He just shrugged it off and said that in all the years and all the hogs he has shot he had never had one come after him. That calmed me a little but I still insisted on packing his .40 with me. I made a little ground blind out of tumble weeds and brush and waited for something to come through. After about an hour I could see something BIG and black heading my way. A few minutes later I had a huge boar at five yards broadside. I let the arrow fly and all I could see was my fletching sticking out just behind his shoulder. The hog ran about 10 yards and started spinning like crazy. Here's where stupid comes in. I stood up to watch him and he caught my movement in my blind. He stopped spinning, looked right at me and made a run directly at me squeeling the whole way. He busted through the front of my make shift blind as I was busting out the backside of it. I dropped my bow while running and frantically scrambled to get the .40 off my hip. I could hear him right behind me but I never looked back. I just emptied the entire clip behind me as I was running. I don't know if I ever hit him with my shots but he stopped chasing me and he disappeared into the brush. I circled around, grabbed my bow and left. I didn't even go back to look for him. I did look for his carcass last year when I went back hoping to find him and my arrow and never could find him. Scariest experience of my life by far. I wasn't happy with my friend.

No offense man, but you didn't go back in to finish the thing off? Stories like this are what give the anti hunting crowd ammo!

Hunting black bear on PW Island in Alaska, 2005. We saw a big boar cross a dirt road on a clear cut and head into some thick stuff. I knew the trail he was on and about where it should come out on the up hill side. So I drove my dad up around the clear cut road so we were about 1/2 mile up above him. I hiked my dad down to a knoll that overlooked the game trail and told him to sit tight, the bear should cross in front of him at about 50 yards.

I then drove back down to the bottom of the hill and proceeded to hike up hill towards my dad. The plan was to drive the bear up hill out of the berry patch he was hanging out in and my dad would then shoot the bear, and end of story we would only have about 1/4 mile to pack the thing down hill to where I started up from. He was shooting a Browning Lever gun in 358 winchester, should be plenty for a black bear. Well about 10 minutes into my hike up the hill I heard 3 very fast shots, just boom, slight lag then, boom, boom. Then nothing, I knew he got it and was thrilled!

Well he didn't get it! Instead when I got to where he was sitting, my old man just said, "I could of sworn I nailed him, but he just stood there after the first shot, didn't even flinch. So I shot twice more real fast, and he just turned and ran that way" and pointed down a fork of the game trail that ran parallel to the roads in the clear cut. Well I pulled out my Ruger 357, and he had his rifle so we proceeded to go out through the brush, looking in every nook and crany. Never saw any blood, no hair, nothing. We spent 3 hours pushing along through the thick stuff with my hair standing on end the whole time. Some of the "caves" made by overturned logs we had to shine a flashlight into. I would go into the "cave" special ops style with the flashlight directly on the side of the pistol, just looking for the glint of some beedy eyes, but we always came up empty.

Finally gave up and went to the truck to think it through. I sat my dad down with a good rest and had him shoot at a great big rock 30 yards away, and he totally missed!! So I shot at the rock and totally missed! So we pulled out a case of water, dumped the bottles in a cooler and set up the white carboard with a circle in the middle as a target. Well at 10 yards, yes 10 yards, the rifle was shooting a full 6 inches off center! The old man swore he had sighted the rifle in after the plane ride up, he did it the day before while I was out guiding. Well I got looking at his gun and the front scope ring had lost the upper screw. The scope could swivle in that ring pretty good. I moved it with my fingers, the other way, and what do you know it shot 6 inches off the other way at only 10 yards!

I concluded that he completely missed the bear. And from then on he just borrowed my 300 Wichester.

TAG, are you NUTS?:)

marley, that is hilarious! I can just see me shooting on the run without looking back too. LOL!

The last thing a guy needs is a scope problem when hunting things that can eat you.

Eel

it's not a 40 incher but it's closer than the last 40 incher you posted....

JB

Oh I guarantee that if someone would've had a video camera on me that day that hog came after me it would have 2,000,000 hits on youtube by now. I'm pretty sure you would not have been able to tell the difference between the pig squealing and me screaming!

No offense taken pookie because you couldn't have gotten me to go back there if I was wearing an attack dog protection suit and sportin a 12 gauge slug gun. That arrow was fletch deep in the boiler room so I wasn't too worried about finishing him off. I was more worried about carrying one of my legs back to camp in my backpack!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom