Toyota Tacoma. Good, bad and ugly

kingfish

Long Time Member
Anyone own one? I'm considering buying one. I have owned Fords, Dodges and my girl friend has a Suburban. I want a midsize truck. If you own one what do you like or dislike abour it?. Thanks.

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

You will not be disappointed. I am now on my 6th Toyota and absolutely love them. I just bought a 2011 Tacoma double cab long bed in August after driving a Tundra for 6 years. I was a little concerned about power after driving a V8 but I was pleasantly surprised. Pulled a 20 foot camping trailer no problem!! Getting 18 mpg on the highway and she rides smooth! Only complaint is the bed is real squeaky. Took it to the dealer and they are going to put some kind of silencer kit on it. My understanding Is that has been a common problem. Just like all other new vehicles, the stock tires kinda suck. Perfect mid size truck in my opinion!!

Great truck! If you are used to the cab/box space of a full size truck, make sure you are prepared for a smaller truck or that will be a major disappointment.
I am on my 4th toyota, kept outgrowing the previous ones. This new one will be a one time owner for 10+ years, just might see me with 1 million miles on my truck one day...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I love my Tacoma. I have the v-6 and it has plenty of power even if pulling a trailer with a couple of atvs. Only thing I would do different is get the four door instead of the extended cab.

am I the only one that still remembers Pearl Harbor?
yes,I understand they are assembled here in the U.S. but still.......
come on kingfish,you know better

[font color = red size = red size = 10 face ="face"]TAKE NOTE:MY SIGNATURE WON'T PLEASE EVERYBODY SO DON'T EVEN READ BELOW IF YOU'RE EASILY OFFENDED BY EVERYDAY BS ON MM[/font]

>am I the only one that
>still remembers Pearl Harbor?
>yes,I understand they are assembled here
>in the U.S. but still.......
>
>come on kingfish,you know better
>
>[font color = red size =
>red size = 10 face
>="face"]TAKE NOTE:MY SIGNATURE WON'T PLEASE
>EVERYBODY SO DON'T EVEN READ
>BELOW IF YOU'RE EASILY OFFENDED
>BY EVERYDAY BS ON MM[/font]
>
Lol, I'm sure you only buy American goods in ALL you do.

I have an 03 V6, coming from a full size loaded truck it was tough to get used to but now I love it. I still miss the full size and power of the diesel but you can't beat the yota in the hills.

Traditional >>>------->

If you are planning on a used model like mine, I had to replace the U joints only to find out that you can't replacement them on certain years. I had to either buy a new driveline or have the old u joints cut off and custom ones made. It was kind of a pain in the a$$!

Traditional >>>------->

well hc,
don't be so damn cheap,i'm sure you could have special ordered them directly from ja-pan

[font color = red size = red size = 10 face ="face"]TAKE NOTE:MY SIGNATURE WON'T PLEASE EVERYBODY SO DON'T EVEN READ BELOW IF YOU'RE EASILY OFFENDED BY EVERYDAY BS ON MM[/font]

i use to have one and it was great, but i had the sr5 and it could go anywehre. but now and days i need my diesel to pull my heavy trailers

I'm with Velvety on this one. You should buy American like the Dodge ? Chrysler ? Dalmier ? I been bailed out so many times I look like a Whore that's worth it. Eich bien eine Berliner.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-11 AT 08:42PM (MST)[p]I own a 2002 Tacoma V6. When pulling my little camp trailer, with my 4 wheeler in the back of the truck, there are times I wish I had more power. It's an extended cab and with the grandkids getting bigger and wanting to go with, there is not enough room. I also had to put 2 inch spacers on the wheels to make room for chains. Other than those issues, I love it. It rides nice, it is great in the tight spots, it has as much or even more clearance as most full size pick-ups. The newer versions solved the chain space problem, but all the trucks (dodge, toyota, ford etc) started looking like they came out of the same mold. I like the little rounded bubble look mine has. If I could afford it I would go to the 4 door, but the isn't going to happen any time soon.

>I'm with Velvety on this one.
>You should buy American like
>the Dodge ? Chrysler ?
>Dalmier ? I been bailed
>out so many times I
>look like a Whore that's
>worth it. Eich bien eine
>Berliner.
>
>Slick
>
>
>"The Road goes on forever &
>the Party never Ends"

Good point however, Toyota ain't getting bent over by the UAW like the big three. Actually, that in itself is another plus on the side of Toyota.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

My Mrs recently bought her 2nd Toy-Tacoma shortbed--4 dr.

She had the 2005 and now has the 2011 but went with the long bed---4dr.

She loves it.

It isn't the truck but the service dept. @ T.D. Toyota that she has had issue's with....the very few times she took her '05 in for warrenty service.

Robb

>I'm with Velvety on this one.
>You should buy American like
>the Dodge ? Chrysler ?
>Dalmier ? I been bailed
>out so many times I
>look like a Whore that's
>worth it. Eich bien eine
>Berliner.
>
>Slick
>

i drive a cummins and i hate saying this but there are numurous places on the truck that say assembled in mexico, but at least the profits stay in america

Thanks fellas. I'm leaning towards the crew cab long bed SR5 4x4. It's just me and my girlfriend 90% of the time and she still has her Suburban if we want the V8 for pulling our tent trailer. I just wish they would build a truck that would get 30 mpg. Someday!!

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

well king,
they might someday,can only guess what a gutless sob it might be though,or when gas reaches 10.00 a gallon then we can build a truck that get's 30 mpg
i notice you still say 'girlfriend'(smart man)lol

I used to have an '08 crew cab that we used for a work truck. Great power, reliable, and served its purpose until we sold it.

Having said this, I would have a hard time giong from a full size truck to a smaller truck.... But thats just me.

I almost bought a Tacoma in 02, but went with the then just slightly larger 4.7 ltr V8 Tundra. It has been a one in a million, fantastic truck. No issues with it whatsoever. The price difference was only a couple thousand also. So i went with the larger truck. In 08 i bought the 5.7 ltr V8 Tundra for the extra room and power to pull. It ended up being the same price as the Tacoma.
i really like the Tacoma and haven't heard of any issues with them over the years. Down side is the size.
Have you looked at a used smaller Tundra? If you can find one with low miles in good condition, they are the perfect off road hunting truck. Also get 21 mpg out of mine, interstate miles.
can't go wrong with a Toyota.
btw, my 02 was made in Indiana and my 08 was made in San Antonio. Produced american jobs and made in america. 4.8 million Toyotas were made in the us equaling 68% of all Toyotas manufactured. The argument about buying american made is pointless anymore. Alot of Dodges are made in Mexico/Germany, fords in canada/mexico/Great Britain, chevy canada/mexico/Germany.

kingfish, I've owned Tacomas since 1989. For what I do, I think they're great. They get around out in the woods just fine. They're tight, no rattles, and real good 4 wheel drive units. If you can live with the size, you won't be sorry.

Eel

>kingfish, I've owned Tacomas since 1989.
>For what I do, I
>think they're great. They get
>around out in the woods
>just fine. They're tight, no
>rattles, and real good 4
>wheel drive units. If you
>can live with the size,
>you won't be sorry.
>
>Eel

Huh?? How do you fit the trophy shells in the back of those play things?

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

If you're not hauling big loads or need a ton of room for kids, etc, they can't be beat. They're awesome little trucks on and off road. Hold their value better than anything else out there.

I put on around 40-50k miles a year. I've had 2 tundras and 2 Tacomas. Never had any problems with them. Beat the snot out of them year round on some nasty roads.

Made a mistake twice on Chevrolet and once on a Ford. I think the new F150s look like great trucks. They all have their pros and cons, but nothing can beat a Tacoma for 99% of what I need it to do. If I was hauling a lot or had a big family I'd go back to the tundra or F150.

If I was hauling a TON or felt like I needed to have the biggest baddst truck in town I'd find an older dodge with a cummins.

I had nothing but problems with the 2 chevrolets I owned, but have plenty of friends and family that love them.

Anyway, Tacomas are great hunting trucks, and Toyota makes quality stuff no doubt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom