Totem Pole Option?? Eel----

PleaseDear

Long Time Member
My buddy and his son came over and we took off about 20ft of a big pine tree in my back yard a few days ago.

I wanted to leave about 12 ft so I could chainsaw carve in a Totem Pole style.

Robb

IMG_8066.jpg

I want to keep the new growth branches and basically just carve the front/facing area.

I will leave my recurve bow targets after I'm thru with this project.

Any input is welcome (The GF suggested just using Tree Art)

Robb

IMG_4884.jpg

I say go for it Robb. You're very talented. I did a lot of research on totems and you can make a totem into whatever has meaning to you. There is no wrong design.

I think the pine tree will die now that you cut the top off and will rot pretty fast outside in the weather. Traditionally they are made of cedar. Mine are redwood and I mounted them off the ground. I'll post a photo later today when it gets light out.

Contrary to popular belief, redwood is termite resistant but not termite proof.

I poured a concrete footing and base and then mounted the pole a couple inches above that to make sure it never sits in water. 100 years from now it will still be sound, if I don't make firewood out of it.

P1010322.JPG
P1010321.JPG

Hey thanks!

Thanks for the private links to woodcarver sites

True that Eel-------> it will die and be a bad fire hazard in a few years, I'm thinking the GF's idea of Tree Art is the way to go.

I'll post a pic or 2 after she gets them, and I install them.

Plus, she is axing for some type of bird house/nest on the top flat area.........................

Thanks again,

Robb

If you would have left some of those branches long, you could carve one into a penis. That would be funny, a figure with exposed junk, but it might be offensive to others.

One thing I've noticed, since I put up my totem pole, is that I don't get strangers on my property. No salesmen, no Jehovah witnesses, or Mormons. Nobody. I suspect it's the Thunderbird on top. They say the Thunderbird is a spiritual being that watches over and protects the house. I believe there is something going on.

Eel, talking about CA. Redwood being weather resistant reminded me of the wife's farm home. I included a picture. She had the house painted and minor restoration work done to the ginger bread two years ago.
The entire house was built of redwood in 1888 and still has the original redwood rain gutters that was installed in 1888. The contractor told her the gutters were still solid and in perfect shape after all the years they been in service.
The septic tank is also redwood and was pumped 5 years ago and the service man who pumped it told the wife that it was still solid and in good shape. He was surprised that redwood would last that long as a septic tank.
RELH
IMG_5215.jpg

One thing I've noticed, since I put up my totem pole, is that I don't get strangers on my property. No salesmen, no Jehovah witnesses, or Mormons. Nobody. I suspect it's the Thunderbird on top. They say the Thunderbird is a spiritual being that watches over and protects the house. I believe there is something going on.
Just yesterday, I had two bike-riding, tie-wearing dudes ring my bell with my conversion in mind. Is there somewhere I can buy a T-Bird without going the whole totem pole route? Maybe a door mat or such?

Just yesterday, I had two bike-riding, tie-wearing dudes ring my bell with my conversion in mind. Is there somewhere I can buy a T-Bird without going the whole totem pole route? Maybe a door mat or such?
That might be worth a shot. Actually, when people see a totem in the yard, I think they think "Some crazy SOB must live there, and we better not mess with that house." Whatever works, I say. :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom