TOPGUN

nfh

Long Time Member
i see you posted on another forum so i take it your back from wyo country. so the question is how did it go?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-12-12 AT 06:50PM (MST)[p]Just got back yesterday after leaving North Dakota and our pheasant hunt a couple days early due to a blizzard warning. I started in September with temperatures in the mid 80s and saw lows of 18 before heading home last Saturday. We saw 100s of elk, deer, and antelope during our 8 weeks in Wyoming and some nice ones at that. The archery elk hunt for my buddy, John, was slow with very hot weather and very little evidence of rutting activity. However, John shot a nice bull an hour after the rifle season opened on 10/9 as a snowstorm and heavy fog hit our area. He also got a nice antelope on 10/1 and is still hunting his LE deer unit for two two different bucks we saw in the first 3 days before I headed for ND. I got a great antelope (see photos) with the .243 Sako I inherited after Dad died on 9/11/11 and the hunt was dedicated to him. I green scored him out there at a little better than 82", but I have to rescore him to make sure I followed all the B&C measuring requirements. I think maybe I made a mistake on one of the measurements and it may knock him down 2 or 3 inches. He has great mass all the way up as you can see in the pictures. I ended up shooting a doe muley for the ranching couple that lets us hunt for free on their small ranch the last day after missing a real nice buck on the 6th morning of the deer hunt. I made a stalk of about 500 yards on two nice bucks I saw bed down after daylight and just plumb blew the shot on the best one at about 150 yards. He was laying in some rocks straight on and I tried a shot that I have only done once before and just plumb blew it. That is only the second animal I have missed in all my years of hunting and I'm still sort of in shock as they always go down when I squeeze the trigger, LOL! MULEY204 also got a nice antelope on the short 3 day hunt he had time for with me and I really thank him for sharing his PPs with me so we could draw the tags. With the coming price increase I will probably only apply for doe licenses from now on. I hope your Fall was as exciting as the time I had out there! I'm heading up north on Wednesday to my cabin for our two week rifle deer season that opens on Thursday, so I have two more weeks of hunting before things slow down after the Thanksgiving weekend.

13122012_hunting_trip_054.jpg

71132012_hunting_trip_053.jpg

great looking goat, i like how the hunt was dedicated to your dad.. nice job!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back 'home' Mike!

Great to see ya got to use your dad's .243 and get a dandy Antelope.

Reads like ya had another memorable fall out here in the Rockies.

Robb

You did well TOPGUN. Sounds like you had a great eight weeks of enjoyment. Thanks for sharing and hear, hear to all of our Dad's that have past on, but left so much behind with us in all that they shared and though us!!!

Sounds like you had another great year. Congrats. I'll send you a pm in a week or two. When i have more time.

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

Oh the joys of retirement .I hate leaving after my 1-2 week trips must be great to be able to take your time and enjoy the area.

So how was the Dakota pheasant hunt.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-12 AT 10:40AM (MST)[p]Most of the birds had been driven off the public land we hunt onto private property by the time we got there for our hunt on 11/5. That made it tough and we had to hunt hard in the heaviest cover we could find along the public land reservoir, as I will not pay the ridiculous prices that the private property owners and outfitters want (100s of dollars per day for 3 birds!). I really should have had my limit all four days of the hunt, but poor shooting one day left me with one short of the limit and one day I always seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and didn't get any shooting on roosters that flushed. We only got in four days of hunting and had to head south back to Rapid City two days early due to blizzard warnings. My 9 year old DD made one beautiful water retrieve on the biggest bird I shot on the second day there, so that was neat. Here is a picture of day two of the hunt and one of Herc in Wyoming before we headed to ND.

6896photo.jpg

84872012_hunting_trip_062.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-12 AT 09:47AM (MST)[p]It's good to be back and, yes, Herc is a DD that just turned nine on 10/23. He is out of the Moorehaus kennel down in Georgia, is quite a dog with one heck of a nose, and is my best buddy! His Mom was almost black where his dark spots are brown and she also lacked the long facial hair that is the main characteristic of the breed. His Dad was a real hunk of a male and had the long facial hair, whereas Herc is very streamlined and many mistake him for a female. Here he is at home and another picture of birds we got with him on our trip to ND in 2009.

7646ndwyoming_2009_014.jpg

2628p1000425.jpg

WISH I COULD HAVE STAYED LONGER, UNFORTUNATELY IF I DON'T WORK I DON'T GET PAID :) HERE IS A PIC OF THE BUCK I HARVESTED.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-12 AT 10:39AM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/8872getattachment[1].jpg

THIS BUCK WAS HARVESTED BY A HUNTER THAT I MET WHILE ON MY HUNT.I AM TRYING TO POST A PIC OF MY BUCK .

Send it to my email and I'll see if I can get it up on this thread for you. PS: The way I showed you how to do the length measurement is correct if you look closely at the B&C instructions and picture B on their website. However, I did lose a little over 2" on the score because I went up too high on the 3rd circumference and had to come down lower below where the prong swell started. That brought him down to exactly 80" and he will lose some more after the 60 day drying period, but I'm very happy with him. I sure wish you could have stayed longer too!

I SENT IT TO YOU ON YOUR E-MAIL...WHEN I MEASURE FROM THE FRONT OF THE HORN FOR LENGTH LIKE YOU SAID , I PICK UP ABOUT 2.5" OVERALL. PUSHES MY BUCK OVER 80" ....I LOOKED AT FIGURE B ON THE B&C SCORING AND IT SAYS TO MEASURE LENGTH FROM THE SIDE AT THE BASE AND GO UP THE SIDE AND OVER THE TOP. I GET 78 1/8"

HOPE YOU CAN POST MY PIC , I TRIED EVERY WAY I COULD THINK OF WITH NO LUCK

LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-12 AT 12:43PM (MST)[p]This is the best that I could get your picture to come out and it's still fuzzy. I'll keep trying to see if I can clear it up and repost it. Also, after reading your comment and taking a closer look at the C lines in photos A & B for the length measurement the A photo makes it look like it's where I stated and B makes it look like you said. I'm going to forget about it, as I'm happy with it no matter what it would score! Sorry I couldn't get the picture you sent me any clearer, but at least it's up!http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/957814442012-10-02_09_18_31.jpg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom