Today's complex cars

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
We have a 2018 Turbo Diesel Equinox with 23 K miles. It had 2900 miles when bought in 2019 , so it is on bumper to bumper warranty. I will decide whether to sell or not in 2022.
What a joke as it has been in the shop for 12 days. They said the codes weren't all getting sent. A communication problem with the ECM. After a week they said an engineer was being sent to fix it and it would be a sure thing. Now it is still in the shop and now they say that a file will be sent to get the info. I called it forensic data recovery, lol. I miss the old days when any mechanic worth his salt could fix a car.

Imagine what it will be like when the highways are taken over by all electric and somebody can make you slow down via remote control...

I spent almost a decade of my early working life in the 1960s as a mechanic in my dad's service station. I did everything except auto tranny stuff. Used a Sun machine to do basic tune-up work -- set the dwell, timing & adjust carbs, etc.-- and an alignment set-up for front-end work. That was about as technical as it got. Most everything was easy to ferret out & repair with a simple R&R of the part.

Now, however, it takes a passle of special equipment, even for some of the easy R&R stuff. And paying someone $100 hr. quickly adds up.

I did manage to swap out the ECM on my wife's 2003 Durango with one I bought on eBay a few years back, but I had to do a lot of online research to find out that was the problem.

I decided to buy an older truck (2008) to avoid this kind of nonsense. Why someone is not currently producing a bare bones affordable truck is beyond me. There would be no competition and it seems like tons of guys would rather have something simple and reliable rather than 200 buttons and cameras and computers and......

Farm equipment manufactures will not furnish owner manuals showing any repair or service data. You have to go to their dealers. THIS WAS AS OF LAST YEAR. Some owners were getting ready to sue the manufactures...don't know how this has turned out. The Chinese don't seem to have these problems... ? I wonder who will win this. We can be a great nation again...NO WOKE for this old man.

I decided to buy an older truck (2008) to avoid this kind of nonsense. Why someone is not currently producing a bare bones affordable truck is beyond me. There would be no competition and it seems like tons of guys would rather have something simple and reliable rather than 200 buttons and cameras and computers and......
Because they would lose repairs money !

I just sold my 97 Stroker as it didn't like any cold weather. I found a 2000 Silverado with real low miles. It isn't new but I have no payments and the 6.0 Vortec will be ok as long as I'm not making a real long trip with ATVs and the 27' trailer.
I use a bed rack for my ATVs. It is scary loading them up there but I am careful. If I ever got involved in a head on they would be 650lb missiles.

I just sold my 97 Stroker as it didn't like any cold weather. I found a 2000 Silverado with real low miles. It isn't new but I have no payments and the 6.0 Vortec will be ok as long as I'm not making a real long trip with ATVs and the 27' trailer.
I use a bed rack for my ATVs. It is scary loading them up there but I am careful. If I ever got involved in a head on they would be 650lb missiles.
That 6 liter LS is one of the best gas engines ever made. mtmuley

That 6 liter LS is one of the best gas engines ever made. mtmuley
I had a guy that sells used cars tell me that. I sure hope I get a few years from it. Im getting older and really don't want to buy another truck. I drive a truck about 5 k mikes a years or so.

I had a guy that sells used cars tell me that. I sure hope I get a few years from it. Im getting older and really don't want to buy another truck. I drive a truck about 5 k mikes a years or so.
That engine has made 1500 horsepower with a stock bottom end. I have a 2003 GMC with the LQ4. Nothing is better than the LS series of engines. That engine will go as long as you want it to. mtmuley

I own a 2007 Durango that I bought NEW in 2009. Had a dinger but they actually describe how to turn it off in the owner's manual. It's been so long since I did, I don't recall the exact technique, but it involved turning the key on & off while buckling & unbuckling the belt. I had done it in my 1998 Ram & my wife's 2003 Durango, as well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom