To Dir. Jim Karpowitz

2lumpy

Long Time Member
For the record. I've been at war with the Utah DWR, for one reason or another, since 1978 when the DWR attempted to discontinue the mule deer muzzleloader season, in perpetuity. I've fought them in their Board Meetings, their Committee Meetings, their Legislative Meetings, their Federal Meetings, their Public Meeting, their Private Meetings, in their backrooms, in their front rooms, in their bathrooms and their hallways. If anyone has been a harsher critic, I don't know who it would have been.
Now that doesn't by any means suggest that I've been the most successful or that I've won many of the wars. Yes, I've won some skirmishes, for the short term, but very few long term victories.

Director Karpowitz has been in either the backroom or the front room at nearly every one of these fights, either leading the DWR or running the machinery behind those holding the front lines. He has been subject to at least these Directors from the past, Phelps, Day, Provant, Valentine, and Kimball, a half dozen Governors and countless appointed Board Members. He has held ground against thousands of anti-hunting individuals, some of the most powerful ant-hunting, anti-gun, anti-access State, National and International organization in the World. Organizations with larger budgets by far, than any budget the Utah DWR can dream of, with the best hired attorneys these anti?s budgets can buy. He?s held the line against both Republican and Democratic Federally appointed Directors of the Department of the Interior and their anti-wildlife/hunting agendas, regardless of their political persuasion. This, along with daily interruptions from pesky and annoying time sucking local hunters like you and I.

Yes, I know, that's his job. I know, he asked for the job. He gets the check. So he gets the heat, I get it.

During Director Karpowitz career, wildlife, with one exception, has enjoyed exponential species growth and exponential hunting tags and hunting opportunity. How, in the big picture of our hunting lifestyle can that reality garner the kind of criticism and vitriol that his current efforts to fight for and defend the infrastructure and system the DWR and Utah has employed to generate these gains.

My over-arching complaint over these decades of back and forth with Director Karpowitz and the directors before and I suspect after him, have been and will mostly likely continue to be, the decline of the mule deer herd.

Consider for a moment, the hunting opportunity, in Utah, if Director Karopwitz had not grown the populations of elk, sheep, goat, bison, turkey, etc. where would Utah hunting opportunity be today? Whatever number of mule deer you might think we had or didn't have 35 years ago in Utah, or whatever number you believe we have today, is irrelevant in this discussion. What is irrelevant is this reality: at one time Utah had over 200,000 annual deer hunters. We now have less than deer 100,000 hunters. During the same time frame, we have filled the loss of opportunity to hunt deer with an exponential increase in opportunity to hunt other species. The increased opportunity of these other species can, in every instance be directly tied to Director Karpowitiz influence, both as a field biologist or a Department Administrator. If there is any individual, employed within Utah State government, at any leave that has done more to protect, preserve and promote the North American Wildlife Conservation Model I defy you to identify who it would be. To suggest, infer, and/or charge otherwise is either na?ve, misguides, misinformed, or alternatively (may I suggest, veiled) motivated.

Knowing what I know, based on 35 years of battles and person observation, Jim Karpowitz will stay, retire, or cut bait, on his schedule, on his time table and when he and his family decide it's time, and not on your or my schedule. As it should be!
To Director Karpowitz: Thank you for your many years off dedicated service to Utah?s hunting lifestyle. You and I have had our battles, I respect you. I know why you do what you do. While we have differed on mule deer management, I have always admired you and given you credit and always will credit you with growing, preserving and wildlife and hunting opportunity. Yes, public hunting opportunity. Stuck in a world where Utah citizens absolutely refuse and will continue to refuse the funding of the DWR out of general State tax funds, stuck in a world where we continue to have large families supported by single parent incomes, where raising the cost of hunting tags to the general public is both burdensome on family budgets and in conflict with a majority of our citizens who will not tolerate increased government assessed fees or taxes, you sir, have done a magnificent job. I hope you will never ever come to believe that you have not honored, to the highest degree, the honored principals and intent of the North American Wildlife Conservation Model.

Unfortunately most Utah hunters wouldn't know Jim Karpowitz and the great work he has done if they road an elevator to the top floor with him, what a travesty.

With Warmest Regards
DeLoss Chrstensen
Glenwood,Utah

IMHO, all he has to do to justify everything you have stated in your OP is get behind the UWC petition to change business the way the Convention tags are being handled. To do otherwise and continue to allow vast amounts of money to be made from the sale of public tags by these organizations with no accountability is not acceptable and will probably determine his legacy in most people's minds. If that occurs and changes are made, the rest of what we are discussin in reference to these organizations will probably go away.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-12 AT 04:45PM (MST)[p]Here is Mr. Karpowitz' opinion on financial transparency from his post on the RMEF thread.

"Sorry for not knowing how MM works. I need to reply to this post, so I will go ahead and try and put it here and hope it works.

Against my better judgment, I am going to weigh in on this thread and clarify some things from my response to the RMEF news release and address some points raised in David Allen?s letter. Yesterday I invited Jason Hawkins to come to my office to discuss this issue. I also emailed David Allen and invited him to stop by or call me on the phone to discuss the issue and to clarify what I think is a huge misunderstanding. I had a good discussion with both Jason and David and I think we now better understand each other?s concerns. I mentioned to both of them that I would probably respond to Mr. Allen?s letter.

When I talked with Jason and David I attempted to identify and clarify their main issues and concerns. As a result of these discussions it became clear to me that their concerns were focused on convention permits not conservation permits. Both Jason and David agreed that this is not about conservation permits, a point that was not clear in the RMEF news release. We all agreed that the Conservation Permit Program has done great things for wildlife in Utah and doesn't need much change. My comments in my letter to RMEF was focused on both conservation and convention permits since the RMEF news release did not distinguish between the two. RMEF referred to them only as ?state special big game permits? so it was not clear to me that they were not talking about conservation permits.

In my letter to RMEF,I attempted to communicate that UDWR is very concerned about accountability and transparency in both the Conservation and Convention Permit Programs. So let me reiterate and clarify the points I was trying to make. 1) Accountability for expenditure of conservation permit funds is thorough and transparent in Utah. 2) All groups have the same level of accountability for the 10% conservation permits dollars they retain. 3) An audit of the conservation and convention permit programs are conducted annually to make sure all groups are in compliance with the rule. 4) UDWR has successfully passed three major external audits of the conservation permit program in the last seven years. 5) The groups involved in the hunt expo have voluntarily reported on how they have used application fees, even though they are not required to do so by rule.

So, let me make it very clear to all concerned - the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources agrees with Mr. Allen?s statement that ?accountability and transparency are paramount to the public?s trust in actions of non-profit organizations.? I also want to make it clear that we have taken numerous steps to make sure that transparency exists, and we stand ready to implement any changes the Wildlife Board makes in the rules governing these programs.

I would now like to address the second point in Mr. Allen?s letter that had to do with whether conservation groups should be funded by ?their own fund raising effort or by subsidy that comes from public assets.? I certainly did not understand how Mr. Allen could make this statement since RMEF is one of the main participants in the Conservation Permit Program. I was told by both Jason and David that they have no objections using conservation permits for fund raising efforts because of the level of accountability. They are only concerned with using convention permits to support fund raising efforts.

This issue with convention permits is a little puzzling to me considering what has transpired in the last two years. In 2010, the Convention Permit Rule was up for its five year renewal and to the best of my recollection no one from the public came to express their concerns at the RAC and Board meetings. So the board renewed the rule for another five years. In 2011, when the Board needed to act on a new five-year contract for the convention, once again no one came to the Board meeting to voice any concerns or object to the contract. So the Board approved a new five-year contract for the convention.

It appears to me that the main issue of concern is that there should be better accountability of the $5 application fee for convention permits. I firmly believe and I think most people agree that the hunt expo is good for the economy of Salt Lake City, good for the State of Utah and that it brings notoriety to Utah?s big game program. However, many people have said they would like to see more complete reporting of how the $5 application fee is used by the convention groups.

I need to point out that when the Convention Permit Rule was first adopted in 2005 the Wildlife Board felt like $5 was a reasonable amount to allow the convention groups to charge for administrative expenses associated with the drawing at the Expo. Our big game application fee for the regular draw at that time was $5. It is not unreasonable to expect that the overhead in administering this drawing consumes much of $5 per application. As a point of reference, the cost of administering the regular big game drawing in Utah currently exceeds $5. It should also be mentioned that none of the actual permit fees are retained by the organizations. 100% of the permit fees go to UDWR.

Now as to accountability of the application fees - two or three years ago when the convention groups heard that the public would like more information on how the $5 application fees are being spent, the groups voluntarily submitted information that showed how they were spending these funds. They provided this information in a public meeting of the Wildlife Board even though it was not required by rule. That information has been and is available to the public.

So what do we do now? Each year the Wildlife Board has to act on the number and type of permits that are allocated to the convention. That will occur at the Wildlife Board meeting in August. I suspect there will be those at that meeting who will ask the Board to amend the rule to require more thorough accounting of the convention permit application fees. The Board chairman will then need to decide whether they would like to revisit the rule realizing it was renewed in 2010 and considering that a five-year contract was issued in 2011. The Division will be supportive of whatever the Board decides to do on this issue. In the meantime, I am going to meet with the convention groups and ask that they voluntarily do a better job of accounting for how the $5 application fees are spent.

I just want to make one more point before I shut up. I am very concerned to see conservation groups at odds with each other and trying to pull each other down. I believe that is very counterproductive and bad for wildlife in Utah. I think we need to put our differences aside and get back to the core missions or our organizations. We have been very successful in Utah in expanding most of our big game populations because we have had strong partnerships with conservation organizations. It disappoints me greatly to now see those great organizations at each other throats. We need to resolve this issue and then we all need to get back doing good things for wildlife.

I hope this clarifies my position on conservation and convention permits. I don't intend to make any additional posts on this topic and I won't see your replies since I do not frequent this forum. I would, however, invite you to give me a call or come and talk to me if you would like to discuss this further.

Jim Karpowitz"

Lumpy2 pooped his pants while he was up there. Pm him and he will tell you the story. It's very funny.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-12 AT 07:18PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-12 AT 06:46?PM (MST)

Elite,

On second thought I think I'll pass.

Yeah because I don't hold my poop at such a high value so I will let Lumpy2 have the king of poop trophy. I heard that's how he got his lumpy name.

No you're all wrong. He got the name from riding around in that 3/4 ton diesel truck. The only time you can visit is when he is not putting the coal to the gas(diesel) feed. He can cover more ground in that thing, faster than anyone you've seen. You'd think he was working for Mossback. Go like he**, slam on the brake, and shoot like Hop-a-long Cassidy.

I certainly would like to give Deloss an award for the longest run on sentence EVER in any forum I've read! The content makes me wonder if JK is in fact breaking up with DP and the division soon....hmmmmmm

Hey--- knock it off trying to Jack-Up DC.

He has had more knowledge of the 'game' than any single one of us.

He and I have certainly gone the debate rounds over many years~~ but ya gotta respect someone that has true knowledge.

Quit being Plickweeds just to be Plickweeds...Okay?

Have a good wknd fella's,

Robb

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom