tires

BigPig

Very Active Member
Gonna need a set of 285 70 R17 here soon. I want an aggressive AT tire but not a noisy mud tire. I'd like to keep the out the door installed price at $900-1000 max. I have BFG AT's now and have been happy for the most part but don't want to spend that much dough. Was looking at the Cooper ST's. Anybody have any experience with them? Any off brands worth taking a look?

Talk to Kilowatt....he's rumored to have a set of tires with 150,000 miles on em :)

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I'm not sure if they make them in your size, but I just got a set of Pro Comp Xterrain for my jeep. I like 'em. They're alot quieter on the highway than the Goodyear MTR's that were on the jeep when I bought it. I hope they last.

"Talk to Kilowatt....he's rumored to have a set of tires with 150,000 miles on em"

That's only if you rotate them every 200 miles.:)

Eel

the coopers are good, have them on my truck now, I am looking at the new goodyear wrangler dura tracs. give em a look see arund 200.00 form what I can see.

Take a look at discount tire i got some goodyears off there and even with shipping and mounting it was still cheaper than the tire store here. They also carry cooper.

I have a set of Mastercraft Courser CTs on my Silverado 2500 that I like. I have about 25,000 miles on them and they seem to be wearing well. They also make a CTC that is supposed to be tougher in rocks. I almost went for them but didn't. I'm glad now because my brother-in-law has had a set and has peeled at least three of the treads right off. I had it happen to me on his truck pulling a trailer and it was a bit spooky. Was left with a big ballon tire with air but no tread at all. Here is what the Courser CTs look like. Not positive but I think you can get them in that size.

Courser-CT.jpg

Cooper's are a great tire and good in rugged country. Check the specs...there sidewalls are better then most any out there.
I have been using them for a lot of years in the hills of Nevada and have had great luck with them.

Just my 2 cents.....

LAST EDITED ON May-21-09 AT 06:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-21-09 AT 06:02?PM (MST)
Nv Bighorn

I just took a set of those off my ranch truck the rocks just ate them up i wasnt very happy with them but i am hard on tires 60 miles of dirt to the ranch one way really tests tires. I have the new goodyears now we will see how the are. On my other truck i have the cooper st and i really like that tire it has hardly chipped.

BOBCAT recomends Firestone if you insist on driving a POS Power Stroke. "LOT'S OF SMOKE" very little progress.

4a15ed9657f396da.jpg

But at least your tires are big!

RUS

YOU PUZZY'S!!!

JUDAS FRICKEN PRIEST!!!

YOU BUNCH OF PUZZIES!!!

HERES A REAL TIRE NVB!!!

MAXXIS BIGHORNS OR BUCKSHOTS STUDDED ONE SIZE LONGER THAN RECOMENDED!!!

4a161ccc42eea869.jpg

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

RE: YOU PUZZY'S!!!

NVBighorn,

How do those tires ride? The dealership is probably jerking me around but they told me that if I changed up the stock tread on my Silverado for something with a little more grip, it will make for a rough ride.

I have had great luck with the new Big O X series. I've got 30,000 miles of some serios off road and highway abuse on 3/4 ton Dodge diesel and they are working great. I spent about $1,000.00 for 33x12.5x17's.

Jeezuz Bess, you keep stretching that thing like that and one day you will pull it clear off. Then what?

Hillbilly, I like everything about the tires. The truck came with the standard skinnies, 245-85-16 or whatever they are. I got over 40,000 out of them. When I needed new ones I talked to my tire guys about something a tad wider on stock wheels. I wanted a little more footprint. I ended up with 265-75-16 CTs. They told me not to do it if the truck was a diesel because the wider ones on the front will never wear right because it's so hard to have them inflated right. My truck is gas so I went with them. I'd have to look but I bet I have close to 28,000 on them and they look new (and I think I have only rotated them once kilo). I have never had so much as a flat. I think they are a decent compromise between a highway skinny and a loud road noise, highway humming 20,000 miler like those things Bess says are real tires.

But hey, that's just me.

i had a set of BFGS last less then 19000 miles, and i bridgestone duelers so far so good, starting to wear the same way the BFG's did, i have 285 65 16s they are on a 01 silverado...i wanted to try the toyo mts....and there is a new goodyear MTR with kevlar that i wanna try when tires wear out...

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

HEY NVB!!!

THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE AT LEAST THE NAME OF THE TIRES I RUN???

JUST FOR YOUR INFO NVB!!!

I'VE RUN SEVERAL SETS & ITS NOT UNCOMMON TO GET 35-40K OUT OF THEM & MOST OF ITS OFF ROAD MILEAGE!!!

DON'T BUY THEM FOR A PUSSSY-MOBILE!!!

YES THEY ARE NOISY!!!

YES THEY ARE STUDDED TO THE ASS!!!

NO THEY DON'T DRIVE AS GOOD AS AN OLD WOMANS TIRE!!!

BUT EVERY FALL WHEN CONDITIONS GET BAD & I WALK AROUND SOMEBODY THATS STUCK TIGHTER THAN HELL THEY SURE ARE WISHIN THEY HAD A SET JUST LIKE EM!!!

IF I OWNED ONE OF THEM NEW 60K+ MAIN STREET 4X4'S & WAS SCARED TO TAKE IT OFF THE PAVEMENT I PROBABLY WOULDN'T RUN "REAL TIRES" BUT I THOUGHT A TRUCK WAS BUILT TO USE???

I THINK I JUST PULLED IT CLEAR OFF NVB,WHAT'YA THINK???

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

>i had a set of BFGS
>last less then 19000 miles,
>and i bridgestone duelers so
>far so good, starting to
>wear the same way the
>BFG's did, i have 285
>65 16s they are on
>a 01 silverado...i wanted to
>try the toyo mts....and there
>is a new goodyear MTR
>with kevlar that i wanna
>try when tires wear out...
>
>
>
>
>
47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

>has anyone seen my kittie

You have something seriously wrong with your truck then. I've had multiple sets of BFG's on different trucks and they have all worn just fine. I had a set of 35" MT's go 60,000 of an F250 with a diesel and a trailer behind everywhere it went....

Bess, I do like the name. Actually I like the tires. But for my use, and I emphasize my use, they are more aggressive than I want on my truck right now. I just reserve calling people pussies for more important things than tires.

And as much as I would love to comment on your "studded to the ass" line... I think we will remain better friends if I don't.

*****. :)

My work truck is a 2500hd Chevy. Cooper St 8000 miles. Copper stt 10000 miles. Bf muds 26000 and kept one for a spare. Toyo muds 32000 and still going strong. I work in the bookcliffs and this is the only tire I have not had any flats with. There will Be a set going on my personal truck. Btw my truck is loaded pretty heavy at all times.

LAST EDITED ON May-22-09 AT 12:22PM (MST)[p]I've been to the Books and know it's rough country but how the heck do you wear out a tire in 8-10000 miles?

NO DOUBT!!!

THE BOOK CLIFFS WILL EAT TIRES AS GOOD AS ANYWHERE I KNOW OF!!!

BUT ANY TIRE SHOULD LAST LONGER THAN 8-10K!!!

THAT SHARP SHELL ROCK,ESPECIALLY AFTER THEY GRADE THE ROADS WILL EAT TIRES LIKE NO OTHER!!!

NEVER RUINED A TRUCK TIRE OUT THERE YET BUT I'M NOT OUT THERE EVERY DAY EITHER!!!

HAVE DESTROYED MANY A TRAILER TIRES!!!

IF IT WEREN'T FOR THE BOOK CLIFFS THERE'D BE 3 LESS TIRE STORES IN VERNAL!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

1st thing deff wrong is its a chevy...i have talked to a few people same truck that have had tires go along ways on the truck, some have had the same problem as mine...tires gone before 30k....alignment was good, it could have been a bad batch of rubber, it does happen from time to time...

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

I hate cooper tires I'm not the only one that WILL NOT run them. To me they are the same as a ford or dodge I tried them and did nothing but waste my money. Other people have tried them and love them this is my experience with them. Hope this helped. The Toyo is the only tire so far that has put up with the abuse all day every day. They are not loud going down the highway either.

4a1a0d58198e373e.jpg

Pathfinders by B.F. Goodrich at USA Tires, these are the ones I am trying now to see how they hold up. Better warranty than BFG's.

Brian

SO kilo???

IF THEY DON'T RUN FOR 97,000 MILES THEY ARE JUNK,RIGHT???

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!