Tire Patching

ramtagless

Hey Guys -

What is the rule of thumb on patching a tire 'near' the sidewall? I have a nail on the edge of the tread...definitely borderline on if it can be patched or not. I have heard 1/2 inch and it is right at 1/2 inch from the edge.

Tire has some life left in it and I don't want to buy a new one if I don't have to but, it is also my wifes car.

Thanks for the advice...

Tire shop's probably will not fix it for liability reason's, I have had sidewall punctures on almost new tires and plugged them myself. Very easy to do and cost about $5.00 for a kit you can use several times. Never had a problem with a plug kit.
Rick

Yeah. I can take it to discount tire but, I am sure they are going to tell me...no patchy...you buy new tire.

I have a plug kit and could do that myself. Just a little leary since its so close to the edge.

Plugs are outdated tech, and were originally designed for bias play tires. Have it patched correctly, if Discount won;t do it then take it somewhere else. IMO, if a shop even uses plugs, I go elsewhere...

2a0fcsk.gif

Ditto what 257 said. I'd for damn sure not be plugging the sidewall of a tire my wife drives around on. I guess it all depends on how much life insurance you have on her though.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Why? Working on a ranch I have plugged many tires that are used on dirt and hiway and never had a problem, slow leak or otherwise?

She doesn't have much life insurance and I probably couldn't find a better wife to replace her at this point in my life. Plus she will draw a turkey tag this spring.

Its in the tread (not the side wall)...just very close to the edge. Hopefully they will patch it. I was looking for some info prior to going in.

I would be cool with them patching it, putting that tire in the back and I will drive that vehicle for a while and monitor the tire pressure. If its not leaking air that means the patch is holding and I am all good, right? Or could I still have some catastrophic blow up even if the air pressure is holding?

I'd put bubble gum on it, underinflate it, put it on the left front......and don't let the kids ride with her.......

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-10 AT 09:47PM (MST)[p]>I'd put bubble gum on it,
>underinflate it, put it on
>the left front......and don't let
>the kids ride with her.......
>
>
>
>
>great post/pic, thanks for sharing
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

What about upping the life insurance?

That is a good thought. I should also check with CDOW and see if turkey tags are transferable. Plus being on the market again will help me in the MM BL contest.

Hmmm....I have at LEAST 8 plugs in the sidewalls on the 4 tires on my Ram. I've plugged punctures that took 4 plugs to seal.

Probably 8 more in the tread area, but I have those patched when my tires are rotated.

I don't know anyone around here that dosen't have a plug kit in the toolbox. We have been using them for years and don't see any reason to stop now.

I seldom travel at speeds beyond 60 mph, however.

Without that kit, I would have to buy into a tire franchise.

Any minor hole in the tread should be no problem for a tire shop.

STOP, don't do anything with the car or the tire. After reading the above posts I decided its time to get my wife a new car. How much do you want for it?

A mere nail hole will not create a safetly problem. The worst that will happen is a slow leak. Even if the patch comes completely off, which isn't likely, there wouldn't be any sudden deflation such as might occur with a sliced sidewall, etc. If a patch can be applied where it adheres flat without any curling, etc., it will be fine.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I carry a plug kit in my truck at all times. It is usually aloy easier to plug the tire and reinflate it that ist is to put on the spare. I have never had an issue with a plugged tire an dthey usually hold for the life of the tire.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-10 AT 09:40AM (MST)[p]If its in the tread it will be just fine. There is nothing wrong with plugs.

A lot of places are going to plug patches. They are a pain to put in but come with a better seal.

Where you run into problems fixing holes in tires is when you try to fix a hole that is out of the cords (the metal mesh under the tread) and the rubber tears if your lucky or it blows up. Some tires have cords in the sidewall but not enough to keep them together. Not to mention all the added movement and stress the sidewall takes.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Turkey tags are non-transferable, bubble gum would not hold and if I up the life insurance I can't collect for 6 months.

Discount would not patch it. Like justr said they felt it was too close to the sidewall and outside of the cords.

Justr and the rest...whatcha think?...find someone that will patch it or error on the side of caution and replace it? Thanks...

3017tire_002.jpg

Time for a new tire my friend. That is a nice $80 lag screw and washer!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I personally would buy a new tire. You might be able to get someone to fix it and it might hold until the tire wears out. I wouldn't suggest trying to fix it.

When I worked at big o I had a guy come in with a flat very similar to yours. I told him I couldn't fix it and he flipped out called my boss down and long story short my boss said we would fix it but we wouldn't be held liable. I pulled it apart put a patch on and was putting air in it and when the bead set it blew. Ripped the sidewall apart and sent me to the er. What if it would have held until he got to the freeway? He probably would have killed his family and or someone else. Tires are not the place to be cheap on your vehicle.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Alright - new tire it is. I knew I could find some expert advice from an unbiased third party here on MM. At least I know I wasn't given inaccurate advice just to sell me a tire I did not need.

I was cool with the guys at discount, was just looking for a second opinion. Full size spare is on it now so no big hurry - not leaving town anytime soon.

Personally I was under the impression the chords ran up around the shoulder more. But - not worth taking a chance. Why is it when you have a foreign object in a tire - its always in the shoulder or side wall and the tire is never completely shot?

Thanks guys...

" Why is it when you have a foreign object in a tire - its always in the shoulder or side wall and the tire is never completely shot?"

Murphy's law!! :)

Joey

My spare is pretty worn out. Last time I bought 4 new of the same kind as before and used the best of the previous set as a spare...but, the best was not all that great.

I will just buy a new one and put it on the front right...the way my wife treat tires it will catch up with the other three fairly quickly.

I better follow her around...she must have a construction working boyfriend or something...

I don't see a problem... Just tighten the screw until it stops leaking..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

A good tire salesman would have sold you 2 new tires so the tires on that axle have the same amount of tread to keep it from pulling to either side. And using the good tire to replace your wornout spare. With a warrantee to keep this kind of thing from happening again!

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

When I went to the er I had a broken hand, chipped tooth from my hand hitting me in the face with part of my tooth in the back of my hand. 15 stitches in my hand, 22 in my leg. And 5 stitches in my lip. Coulda been anot worse if I didn't have the tire clamped down.

You can call me a sissy but I would rather not do that again!

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Man... makes me wonder what other rubber some of you guys are patching with bicycle tire patch kits.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

jeezus ramtagless....your original post said "nail"......that ain't a fricken nail.....

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>jeezus ramtagless....your original post said "nail"......that
>ain't a fricken nail.....
>
>

No kidding. Hell, just put some silicone a washer and a nut on the inside and you're good to go.

Nail, lag bolts, carriage bolts, re-rod, t-post...all foreign objects that suck when they are in your tire. No diff.

It actually is a very slow leak, some silicone might do the trick.

I have two vehicles...my truck with 203,000 and wife's jeep gj with 110,000. They only thing that sucks worse than keeping them going down the road is replacing them.

new tire
and new tires for your truck for the turkey hunt.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom