tire chains

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
Quick question about using tire chains - I have a 4x4 - if I have to use chains, is it best to put on the front tires or rear?

I always have two sets so I go with all 4. When I had only one set I would use both up front if I was in flat country. If I had any side hills to travel I put on on a front driver and one on the back. That way I didn't slip off the road. I hate puting on tire chains. Ron

It is best to put them on the front tires. That way you still have the ability to steer decent. Plus the weight of the motor over the front axel gives you a little more traction.

It is best to throw iron before you gat stuck. And, when using chains you can really get stuck so use you head and don't over do it.

I'm not sure it's "commendable" title but I'm some kind of "getting stuck" royalty.

You want chains on ALL 4 tires.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

If you only have one set, put them on the front. Gives you best stearing control. I think it is best to chain up all four.

If your chains have lugs, the lugs go OUT. Saw some guys hunting in Co from Cali get out of the ruts and on to the shoulder. They tried to drive it out and made it about 15 yards before the lugs went through all four sidewalls. They also had a loose chain tail take out a fender.

If it is cold at night and for some reason you do get stuck, you can usually drive it right out after the ground freezes.

If you buy a chain with ice cleats, make sure you lay them out and look at them before you mount them up, they will go to one side of the vehicle or the other.

Front is better as long as you have enough clearance.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

TRUE........I HAVE TO RUN CABLES ON FRONT, CHAINS ON BACK TIRES. THE BEST TIP EVER IS TO WAIT TILL IT FREEZES OVER TO LEAVE OR DRIVE TO CAMP.........I RUN A QUAD TO HUNT............YD.

If you have them on the front and not the back when going down a steep hill the back end could slide down hill. I put them on all 4 and when you get stuck then you are really stuck.

In these pictures the frost left the ground. I got so stuck we had to leave it over night Christmas eve. We went back the next morning and it was only 28 degrees. We jacked it up and put boards under it. Then after we got it out I chained up all 4 and left the chains on until they were sparking on the pavement. That trip freaked me out. I am so chicken now I just use the quads and leave the truck where it can't get stuck. Ron

Stuck01small.jpg

Stuck02small.jpg

Stuck04small.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-13-11 AT 08:55PM (MST)[p]Tire chains are a pain. Kind of like insurance though. You better have them and hope you never have to use them. I agree that an ATV is the better option.

Only put them on if you have too. Make sure they fit and work before you really need them. Take extra tighteners. 4 is better than 2 and 2 is better than none.

If you spend much time in the woods on nasty roads eventually they'll save your butt.

I love chains. Granted, they are a pain in the azz to put on, but they make such an incredible difference. Put all four sets of chains on if you've got four. If you don't have four, get more. They are useful tools, why not have a full set?

By the way, going to elk camp this year the leader had two sets of chains on his front tires and got stuck going up hill on the north side of the mountain. I had four sets of chains and was still mobile. I was able to pull him out and then we backed down off the mountain until we had a hair-pin turn where we could execute a touchy about-face. If you have more than one vehicle and at least one vehicle does not have four sets of chains, let the vehicle(s) with four chained tires bring up the rear. If the lead vehicles get stuck, hopefully the rear vehicles are still mobile and can render assistance. Going down the mountain -- like at the end of a hunt after snow has happened while you were in elk camp -- the order might best be reversed. The guys with four chains might ought to be on the downhill side so they can hitch up and pull. Of course, leaving you might find that even the guys with four chains get stuck. No advice for that situation, other than to be sure to take a sky hook with you . . .

It is best to chain up the front tires for steering. But in most cases I just chain up all 4 tires. It will only take you 5 minutes more to do all 4 tires so you might as well take the time and do it right.

Tire chains aren't a pain to put on. If your chains are sized for your specific tire size and they have the cam tensioners, you can put two on in 10 minutes. Would not leave home without a set of four chains.

This years elk hunt we got 3 feet of snow dumped on us. I had two chains, (left the other two at home thinking I wouldn't need them). Ended up driving the 4 hours home to pick up the other two so that I could pull my 21 foot trailer out of that snowed in hell hole. I could not even budge the trailer with the fronts chained, trailer kept jack knifing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom