Tire Chains.. no experience.

D

dreaminbouthuntin

Big question for MM'ers that have experience with tire chains.

Which do you use, what have you used that didnt work?

I've been doing alot of research on chains. I have a 1/2 ton pickup with 275 70 18 Nitto Trail Grapplers at about 40% tread left.

We're heading to Wyoming to do some hunting at the end of October. Taking the horse trailer to stay in. Its a gooseneck.

My biggest fear is getting stranded with the trailer in the snow or mud. Freak storms happen on occasion. Better to be safe than sorry.

I havent used chains for a long time and am not up to speed on the new chains available. The auto parts stores have been less than helpful and the tire shops just want to sell you whatever they have.

Any help would be appreciated!

It must have become complicated since I bought/built all my chains.
The first criteria is that they fit properly and you KNOW how to install/use them so they don't rip you brakelines off or tear up your fenders.
Second, heavier the links the better.
Third, make sure you have great heavy duty chain-keepers/tighteners/bungies or whatever you want to call them.
Forth, they might break so always carry wire, extra chain links, etc.
Fifth, install them WAY before you get stuck. They are a biotch to install if you can't roll onto them.
Sixth, carry a shovel, jack (highlift) and a cable come-along.

Some will disagree but I alway put chains on the front and about 75% of the time I'll chain all 4 wheels. I never use rear only.

Well, maybe it is a little complicated. haha

Zeke

I had a similar quandary a couple of years ago with a late Colorado deer tag.
My best resource was just getting on line and looking at what was available. Once I found some in my price range (you can break the bank if you want) I found someone local that actually carried the type I wanted. I originally just got one set, but then weather turned nasty and I panicked and ordering another set online. They were actually just as cheap and delivered to my front door.
Don't get the cheapest but you don't need the primo ones either.
I ended up not even putting them on for my hunt, but now I have them.
Good luck

I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're one of those things that makes me wonder about a guy who doesn't have them. hehe

Good to see LBH finally got some! What the Hell have you done all these years? Stayed home in bad weather? (I know better than that)

Zeke

Check online resources and you should find something to cover your needs.

Also, depending upon your vehicle, you may not be able to use chains on the front tires....check your owners manual first!

+1 to what frogman43 said. These new newer half tons leave little if any room for chains in the front. I have read where certain year Dodges (not ripping on them) can't put them on the back either due to brake line obstruction. Refer to your owners manual and research your specific make and model for any issues. I just went through this and ended up getting class S chains for my front, not as good as standard chains but better than cables and way better than nothing.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

Chains have a bigger difference than four wheel drive. I use my high jack to install my chains to get a better first fit. Tensioners are a must only if you are traviling faster than 5 mph. You can get stuck on an inch of ice without chains. The only time I have ever had a hard time with chains is when I was high centered. That is where the highjack and a few 2 x 4s come in handy. Unless it is dryer than a popcorn fart, I always have my chains.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the antlers that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

I carry chains for all 4 every time i go Hunting out of state and have for the last 10+ years.

like was mentioned put them on at home and make sure you are confortable doing it, the last place you want to try and figure out how to install them is in a storm on some mountain.

Sometimes i'll run just the front tires but usually if it's bad enough to chain up i'll just do all 4 tires.

All the points mentioned are good, really good! I have a 2012 Power Wagon with T/As, I got a set of semi truck chains and cut them to fit my tires. With 4WD you can push a fair amount of snow, but once you start slipping and spinning the tires you stand a good chance of breaking a chain, so the heavier the better. Just try them on at home & make sure they fit (around your brakes too).

Good luck this fall all of you and be safe,

nocal

Excellent information everyone. Many thanks. I'll definitely put them on at home first to make sure they fit. Off to go find some..

If you think you might encounter any hilly stuff that could get slick, get a set for the trailer too. mtmuley

I bought tire chains for the first time last year. I used them three times on my Titan.

I did a lot of research and ended up with two sets of RUD Grip 4X4 chains.

They go on easy and have good clearance on the inside by the sensors/brake lines. I'm not afraid to put them on the front.

http://tirechaindealer.com/grip

I drive a Tacoma. Built my chains out of heavy duty diesel rig chains I found along the freeway. I had to put two inch spacers on to get clearance. I built the stretch tighteners out of car innertubes that I cut into 1 and 1/2 inch wide rings. I made the hooks out of old pieces of tire chain. They don't break, and they don't come loose. But it is a bumpy ride on dry roads.

+1 on getting tire chains also for the trailer...nothing worse than going down a mountain with chains on the truck for control and watching your trailer jackknife along side of you coming down the the other lane of the opposite direction because your trailer is in an uncontrolled skid...happened to my Dad in the 1960's..no fun and lucky he didn't slide off the mountain. USFS had to hook a dozer to his rig to get him straightened out...chain up before you get in trouble will save you a lot of headaches...

))))------->

Lots of good advice given there and I don't think I saw any bad advice. I saw a guy once using custom chains. He took the cross-chains off and moved them one link closer together. That way he always had at least one and often 2 cross chains on the ground. He was going around w/no problem at all and he was about the only thing that wasn't having problems.

Also, when it snows, stay put and hunt. Don't be a fraidy cat and leave at the first few flakes. Then when you leave, leave first thing in the am when the ground is frozen solid and you'll actually slide around less than when the ground is muddy or when the snow is mushy. Ice has a lot more traction than does a foot of mud.

Go slow, and if you have to romp on it to go there...don't go. You can find chains at 2nd hand stores (this is where I found the chains that I used to make my custom chains).

I've never chained up all the way around. If it is that bad, I just don't go. I put them on the front. Unless you can't get them on the front, tis just not right to put chains on the back first.

As previously mentioned, tis important...tis about a thousand times easier to put chains on when the ground is flat and you can move your truck than when it is in a hole and won't move. (your truck is also a lot less likely to fall on your...which is bad ; ) It is also 1,000 times easier to put on chains and not need them than to put them on when stuck, and then find out that they really didn't help that much and you are still stuck.

Trailer chains are a good idea. But, I ain't never towed a trailer, off-road, on mud, snow, or ice.

I use rubber bungee cords as tensioners. I either put them on in an "X", or I hook them on and start going around the inside of the chain...parallel to the rim. If you go through the chain, every 6"-12" it tightens them up.

I like these: http://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/Rubber-Tarp-Straps-s/308.htm

Use lots of tensioners.

In addition to the jack, get a Come-along. Get something like this http://www.arizonatools.com/come-alongs-and-cable-pullers

And, a long strap or several chains so that you can hook onto a tree that is a ways away.
John 14:6

I'll second the cam locks. They're fast and easy. I carry tighteners just in case. I also carry extra links and cross links, zip ties for loose ends, tie wire and a small set of cutters. Never know when a chain might come apart. mtmuley

Not if your going to have horses in your trailer but if you do when you come up to a nasty turn/cliff and anything sketchy get those horses out and walk them.

We used to have deuce and a half chains that we would chain all four on my old 48' willys jeep. Pretty hard on that little front end, grandpa "grounded" us from them. My dad was adament that there is no reason to chain the rear if you leave the fronts, how are you gonna steer? I don't have a set that fit my truck with its new tires, figured I would be ok for the muzzy hunt, WRONG!!! Got to climb an iced up dugway, pulling my trailer(not chained either) on Manti skyline, and it was the scariest ride I have ever taken. Like everyone else, chain up before you need them, get the biggest links you can, and ALWAYS have wire with you.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

I too carry front and back chains. 2 years ago on a whitetail hunt, I went to chain up after almost sliding off a cliff only to find that my new tires were just enough bigger to make the chains not fit. So, always be sure this isn't going to get you if you have new tires.

I have pulled horses in 4-horse bumper pull, man that would have been horrible without chains. Luckily the same chains fit my truck and trailer, so I take chains off my back tires and add to trailer for corners.

It is amazing the benefit chains have. I even carry a set for my quad in case we encounter ice on steep trails. These quads are tippy and chains keep them in the trail. Last year we had a spot in the trail to the top that had a spring that would just layer ice on a steep stretch. Went up first without chains and slid back down 25 yards at about 15mph backwards. Went up with chains without even a slip.

My nephews got stuck down in a canyon in Colo. one year had to wait until around 2 am for it freeze up enough to drive the 4x4 chained up truck and horse trailer out and they walked the horses out 7-8 miles before they could load them up.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom