Tips on Filming a Hunt

gznokes

Very Active Member
I was looking at the blog for one of the guys on this site. http://sneekfreaktv.blogspot.com/ On it I noticed he had recently taken a course on how to take stellar hunting videos.

I was wondering what you have learned about filming your hunts.

For me I've found basic stuff like
1. using a tripod, and having a quick release plate on my camera so it is easy to slap on the tripod.
2. panning and zooming smoothly,
3. taking scenery and travel shots
have made the biggest difference. I don't carry a lot of expensive equipment. I usually just use a home video camera or even the video on my point and shoot camera. I also like to do some filming using a bracket on my spotting scope.

Ive found that pushing the record button BEFORE the shot has produced the better hunting videos. As entertaining as the alternative can be, it leaves as bit to be desired.

Also, seems to help when you zoom in on the target, again BEFORE the shot is taken.

easy on the zoom, either in or out but don't give your audience constant whiplash. Either get a monopod or learn to use your tripod as a monopod, makes for smoother run-n-gun video because often you won't have time to deploy and level your tripod. Good wireless mikes or a windsock on your onboard mike. Keep rolling, tape is cheap and you can never go back and get more footage, even if it's stuff that doesn't seem interesting at the time. Get steady and use a tripod/bipod for the shot because the camera will flinch.

deadibob, when you say the camera will flinch, do you mean, inevitably the camera man will flinch or can the muzzle blast cause a small flinch?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom