Tipping the Cook

Triple_BB

Very Active Member
I've seen a few posts on tipping guides. I think the last time I went on a guided hunt I tipped the cook $75. What's a reasonable tip on a big game hunt for both the cook and the wrangler. Already know what I'm doing with the guide...

Breakfast $10.00
Lunch $10.00
Dinner $15.00
Total $35.00

15 to 20 percent of that total per day or there abouts.

Or 15 to 20 percent of the total cost of the package to be split
between all camp help including guides.

Depends on how the food and the service is. If it's awesome, I think a hundred or two is fine. If it sucks, nothing is fine.

We hunted Mexico last January and hired a little old lady to cook for us for the week. We loved the food, and she really tried hard to make stuff we liked to eat. We pooled our money and tipped her $600, over her wages of $25 per day.

Went to a camp in Colorado 5 years ago and hunted deer with an outfitter. My wife had the tag, and the food was so terrible, and the shack we stayed in was so bad, we got a motel and ate out the rest of the hunt. Needless to say the cook did not get a tip.

I run a camp myself, and it's interesting how much people tip.
Most guys tip the guide $200-$500 and the cook gets anywhere from nothing, to $200 with $50-$100 being the most common number.

DeerBeDead

took a trip in Idaho one year. the guide was a younger kid who did nothing but try and bust our butt by walking hiking as fast as he could and into the deepest darkest holes he could. I saw just as many animals as he did by staying 3/4 up the mountain. He was a smartass little punk too! Wanted to take my brother in laws gun to go look for a elk that he wounded..without him going with him. I actually saw more elk than the guide did.
The cook on the other hand was down to earth, cooked great meals, nothing but a good guy!
We tipped the cook over $200, the guide didnt get a dime from me and only a little from my brother in law.
To me it depends on service...you are buying a service no different than going to a restaurant, if the food is good then the cook deserves acknowledgement, if the service is good (in this case the guide) than he deserves some also. But if its bad then why should you be expected to give anything.

arent the fees expensive enough as it is??? who needs to tip someone for doing the job they are supposed to be doing anyways?

>arent the fees expensive enough as
>it is??? who needs to
>tip someone for doing the
>job they are supposed to
>be doing anyways?

Are you serious? Do really think the majority of guides are getting rich? I would bet 99.9999% of them do it because they love to get out and hunt. Horses, fuels, scouting, optics, food, tents, clothing, whining hunters.... I would never ever want that job.

If they charge you 4K to hunt for the week. How much of that do you think is profit? I bet its not much...

How about tipping the Guy who built your steel Building.(I'm still waiting)How much should he be tipped for doing a great job on getting it done a few days early. Now that I'm in the hitch and Muffler business too How about some love there.
This tip crap is getting out of hand, Now days if more then 8 people in a party you get charged gratitude fee don't matter if the service was good or bad you still get charged.
Some restaurant are talking about a dine in fee.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom