Tip for the Day

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Never heard of this before for tuning up a knife edge, figure that i'm not the only one...

Lots of knife guys out there, what's your thoughts on this?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I've got a GERBER that'll eat a Window!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-15 AT 08:08PM (MST)[p]Well, I gave it a try. I used my pocket knife, which was just recently sharpened. I could slice paper with it.

The top edge of my Toyota window has a pretty fine finish, so I didn't feel a lot of drag when running the blade over it. You might want to be careful with a Dodge window because you might remove too much metal:D.

I gave it about 10 swipes per side and low and behold, it made the knife cut better.

This should be a major break through for the average road hunter.:)

I'm not quite ready to try it on my Hatfield knife though:)

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Using that top edge of the window is very similar to using a ceramic stone for finish touchup. You can also use a rubber mouse pad, from your computer, and place a sheet of very fine sandpaper on it, 600 to 1200 grit, and get a very good edge on your knife that will shave hair. I believe there is videos on youtube that demonstrates this.

RELH

Tks Sage, I'd seen a similar video before but forget about. Never hurts to refresh the tricks now and again.

DC

Neat trick. That would be a great way to kill time when the road hunting is slow.

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

Yep - grandpa taught me that trick.

Works like a charm to finish off an already sharpened knife.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

>Neat trick. That would be a
>great way to kill time
>when the road hunting is
>slow.
>
>
>[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I
>just stir it.[/font]

Hmm, yes....now, if I can just find someone to make glass windows for my four wheeler, I'll be in business.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-15 AT 10:16PM (MST)[p]...those windows rolled up part way make a handy dandy gun rest too!;-)

My Dad, on our Ranch, hardly ever took a buck any other way. He'd even go so far as to back and go forward several times to get just the right angle out the window. He did that all his life. Being the meat hunter that he was, he didn't care if the buck ran off or not, he wanted his shot or nothing, knowing that another buck wasn't going to be too hard to find. Through the years there were many better bucks on the ranch that my Dad never saw, most of the dumber ones already being culled by him from the gene pool. :)

Though i do use my knives a lot, i don't always have a sharpening stone with me. This is a tip i will probably one day put to use.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

So?

Let me get this Right?

You Boys are gonna F around & take a chance on Gouging/Scratching a 65,000.00 Dollar Chevy/Ford/Dodge when You Tight Asses could Buy one of RELH's Eze-Lap Hones for 8.00?

Bess, by far the biggest investment that i ever have in a hunt is the fuel i have to buy.

My hunting rig is a 82 chev 4x4, long paid for.I'll take a chance on scratching that winder.

No wheeler of any kind, never owned one.

No trailer, no RV, no high dollat Glass, no GPS, no expenive shooting irons or glass to top them off, yet i've got my share of better bucks, both blacktail and muley, the old fashioned way,..

I've probably hunted over a dozen outa state hunts on a 1K budget and had extra left over. It didn't used to cost much to hunt outa state but a guy did have to make some sacrafices to go.

Not having a Wife or Kids helped!

For the record, i loved that Dad took me most every time he went but i got to hating the way he hunted from the ranch roads. It didn't take me long to figure out how to do it, boot leather and hard work. Still, his way made him happy.

Joey

Well.....................Mr. Smartie Britches, what if you've ruined one on a Guber and lost your other one? Then, what, huh, huh, huh? :D

DC

Thanks 2Lumpy, we got to tag team ol bobcat and even then we might get more than our share of scratches! :)

I got a leather ammo shell holder that holds a box of Ammo. That ol Favorite of mine has put the finest edges on my knives i ever had. Get her sharp and then a few strokes on that leather and she'll split hairs!

My Hatfield knife from RELH, i actually bought two, came wit a diamond stone, ez laps, that to me, is way too rough a stone for the job. I suppose if i really got the knife in bad shape, i may need that kind of a tool to get some heavy work done but i'll not abuse that knife that way short of life and death.

Joey

You got that right Sage, we'll get a butt whuppin, sure, but on occasion, a guy's just got to get a lick in, regardless of the consequences.

DC

Well Lumpy!

I got 3 More Eze-Laps & the File We talked about ordered & should be here any day!

I Guess I normally Hunt a little further from a Truck than most?

When My Knife gets dull in the Field I'm usually not near my Rig/Window!:D

Ya,Me & RELH have talked about the GERBER!

It's the Perfect Pocket Knife but the Metal is the Damndest stuff I've ever seen!

I handed it to a Professional Knife Sharpener once & told Him about it,Of Course He said:Let me see it,I'll Sharpen it,I can Sharpen any knife!

My Knife Pissed the Guy right off!

A Week later He gave it back to me & Said:We'll just call that the 'John Wayne' of all Knives!

Can't remember what kind of Metal RELH said He figured it was but I Ain't never seen anything like it,GOOD SOB until you Dull it & it is a USA Built GERBER!

Next time I'm near Uncle sage's or Lumpy's Truck I'll Fix their Windows with My GERBER!:D

I Guess the Window Knife Sharpener is part od being a Professional Road Hunter Huh?:D:D:D

Nothin wrong with that!

Unless you're 15 Miles from your Rig!:D

Not to hijack Joey's thread, but years ago I hunted a private ranch for blacktails. Two old guys had been hunting the ranch for many years. Their idea of deer hunting was to leave the cabin about day light, and take a nice easy slow drive down to the river where they would spend the day fishing and napping. Late afternoon, they would take a nice easy slow drive back to the cabin, and arrive about dark.

They always got their bucks, while us younger guys were out humping the deep remote canyons. They even won the big buck contest we had every year, a time or two.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Bobcat!.....the dude's dog just scratched up the 65,000 paint job on the door....so what is a little knife sharpening on the window gonna hurt???

What Bess, you never been close to your truck and found that your knife could use a bit more of a edge? Maybe before you took off on your hike?

I think you are making yourself and your POS Gerber knife out to be more than they are. You don't usually do that but if you only carry a unsharpable knife in your pocket, never hang around or spend any time near a pickup 12 months of the year, and even don't start hunting until you're miles back in from the rig, i guess it's so that a tip like this is worthless to a real mountain man like you!

BTW, i got half a dozen old POS Gerbers. Decent knives, i'll give them that but imo, no better product than a decent Buck knife.

Joey

EASY there Uncle sage!

I've liked Buck Knives Most of my life!

I'll Bet you Uncle sage you didn't even know Buck Knives tried their Hands with the Made in China BS?

It didn't work!

They've brought most of their knives back to being Made in the USA I Think?

I'm a Thinkin the Buck Pocket knife I bought before the one I bought today was a Built in China POS!

Within one Month I destroyed it!

The one I bought today does say: USA on the Blade!

Will see how it Holds up!

The Only Reason I bring the GERBER Knife up is it's the only Knife I've ever owned you couldn't Sharpen!

I like the design of the Knife,Thin,Light Weight,Carbon Handle but what kinda JUNK Metal is in the Blade?

No I don't pack it anymore sage!

And Yes I've been known to Dull many a Knives several Miles back in!

Gonna have to start packin a Truck Window in my Pack!:D

Ya Longun I noticed that!:D

>Bobcat!.....the dude's dog just scratched up
>the 65,000 paint job on
>the door....so what is a
>little knife sharpening on the
>window gonna hurt???

LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-15 AT 03:51PM (MST)[p]Elk, There was a day, i ordered up a dozen Gerbers and had a jeweler put my Buds names on them as a gift from me.

My knife collection ain't near what it was because i like giving knives away to my friends. Last year i dug in and gave Larrbo a buffalo handled two blade Hen and Rooster and his wife a Corelon handled Case trapper during Morel mushroom season just because.

I still got way more knives than i'll ever need, RELH's is the best i have by a good bit!

Joey

I agree about RELH's Knife being my Best Knife also!

So Damn Nice I don't wanna use it on My Truck Window!:D

Went to a local Gun & Knife Show a few Weeks ago here locally & there wasn't anything that even came Close to my RELH Knife!

Did You know Uncle sage that Buck tried a little of the CHINA BS?

"Did You know Uncle sage that Buck tried a little of the CHINA BS?"

No i didn't.

I've got a few older Bucks including a mint sweetheart of a special run Pearl handle peanut that should be worth some decent $$$. but i never really liked how they took an edge. Lots of work and they didn't really hold up much better than any other knife. I carried a 110 for 10-15 years. When i got into buying and collecting, it was mostly Case Knives or good deals on Trapper models that struck my fancy.

Joey

I didn't know it either until a year or two ago!

HELL SAKES!

That's part of the Reason you bought a Buck Knife!

Knowing it was USA Built!

Sad!

SAD!

While on knives, good, bad, and really good, thought i'd share my pick as the best knife a guy can possibly carry in his pocket and never be without. Victorinox Fireman.

The steel is good, easy to sharpen yet holds a edge. The belt cutter has tons of uses, the saw blade will amputate with ease if need be and is incredibly durable, but the slightly longer edge holding locking main blade feature really sells it for me.

Joey

Says it's even got a Spot Light!:D

LMAO, Price: US $1,888.00

I'd need a shoulder holster to pack that dude! Does it come with a oven? The one i posted is just the right size...for me anyway...

I used to think that Swiss Army knives were for sissy's. Not any more, not for a good long while now! :)

Joey

JFP! Bessy, you could plumb a whole house with that knife:D:D

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom