tikka vs. remington vs. ???

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I am looking to get a new rifle, and spend up to $1,000 for just the rifle. 300wsm, stainless steel.

I want a solid gun, that is realible and will perform flawlessly in any weather.

This is for big game - moose, griz etc. I am not a long range shooter: I would trade pinpoint accuracy for realability and weight (lighter is better).

I have always loved the remingtons (1187, 870, 7600 and of coarse the 700) but I am willing to consider other manufactorers.

The SS remington weighs 1.6 pounds more then the tikka, this is nice for less recoil but bad when I am meeting a strict weight requirement for a fly in hunt.

An adjustable trigger (DIY) and a free floating barrel (both of the shelf) are a nice bonus.

I won't knock the TIKKA'S!

But check GUNBROKER.COM for the Stainless Remingtons!

Can't beat the price!

A couple of mine have come with adjustable Triggers & a couple of them are not adjustable!

I think a GunSmith can Tone em down either way!

I'd check the RUM's out!:D:D:D

Wisz was a Hell of a Sport this year even if He did tell the UDWR to F-Off during the Phone Call!:D
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
The next 4 years is Slicks Fault,again,GEEZUS!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

Most gun sellers will tell you that Remington is going through a tough couple of years, and are still struggling to produce a great gun like they did a short time ago.
If you are going new, I would recommend the Tikka over the current Remington.
I think there are also other great options out there, but Tikka vs Remington, I would lean Tikka.

I own an older Remington that I love, and a new Tikka that I love.

Hope that helps.

I'll agree with that too!

Forgot to mention most of the Remingtons are older but NEW 700's Stainless & the older 700 XCR's in stainless!

The Newer Remington 700 XCR II's are the most BUTT UGLY Guns I think I've ever seen!

Wisz was a Hell of a Sport this year even if He did tell the UDWR to F-Off during the Phone Call!:D
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

My next gun will be a sako a7. The stock fills better than the tikka and both are made by beretta. Every time I hold the sako in my hand I want it.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-12 AT 11:11PM (MST)[p]I'm a big Rem fan but right now, i too might be hesitant to purchase a new 700 from the same reasons mentioned above.

I have tried the Tikka and don't care for the feel of it in my hands or all the plastic parts. feels like a toy to me.

If i was buying new, i might take a serious looks at a Browning bolt action rifle. Most of my guns have a wood stocks and i do prefer that but Browning has lots of options available, they mostly keep the weights way down, and those that have them swear by them. Both Browning rifles that i hunted with were excellent.

Something like this... $659. @ less than 7 pounds, a lot of nice rifle for the $$$ there!!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=318770523

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-12 AT 00:39AM (MST)[p]

The Remington 700 sps is crap. I have one, real personal experience. Stay away from Kimber Montana also. I have one of those pieces of junk. So does a friend of mine.

I would buy this gun right here:
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1264559#BVQAWidgetID

here is some Savage info. Send Bull a msg and pick his brain.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...z=show_thread&om=3147&forum=DCForumID22&omm=0

For $1000 I would expect it to shoot 1/2".

WBob said, "The Remington 700 sps is crap. I have one, real personal experience. Stay away from Kimber Montana also. I have one of those pieces of junk. So does a friend of mine."

WoW! Strong words. Nice of you to share your opinion but i strongly disagree. I know many, many Remington and Kimber owners that would also disagree.

Did you bother to read the original posters wants list or just spout off after seeing someone was looking for a rifle? He is very much wanting to keep the weight down and you're recommending a 10+ pound set-up as ready to hunt.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I have always been a Browning guy. I have had my .300 WSM Stainless Steel Stalker for several years now and it has been a killing machine. Plus, I like the weight, I can hike all day long and not feel worn down.

LIFE LONG REMINGTON FAN HERE.....3 CENTER FIRES, & A 870 PUMP 12 GA. I BOUGHT A TIKKA .300 WSM STAINLESS, W/ COMPOSITE STOCK AND LOVE IT !!!! VERY ACCURATE, BOLT IS BUTTERY SMOOTH, AND A PLEASURE TO CARRY FOR A WEEK OR TWO. THE .300 WSM PACKS A PUNCH........YOU WONT BE SORRY. EX REMINGTON FAN HERE.......YD.

Savage Weather Warrior
Accutrigger, accustock, lightweight and chances are it will outshoot a Tikka or rem out of the box.

Great input guys, I have no idea remington was haivng issues thanks!

Last remington I bought was the 700ml, had to be over 10 years ago - when it very first came out. All my others were years before that.

Another very important item is that I will be able to buy parts etc for a long time, so a manufactorer with a long history is a benefit. In 30 years I do not want to be stuck if need a new trigger or something else.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-12 AT 12:50PM (MST)[p]
Shooting 4" groups at 100 yards, sending the rifle back so they could replace the barrel with one that actually had all the rifling in it, at which point the new rifle continued to shoot cooled down 4" groups at 100 yards, convinces me the REM 700 sps is crap. The Remington is good for one thing, the base of a custom build. You might get lucky and get one that shoots but it's the exception. My gun is an sps, other models may be better.

The Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 cost me $1000. Every round jams on the feed shoe and if you hit the bolt hard enough to unjam it, the action rail will slice the side of the cartridge case, after it bends the bullet tip over to 45 degrees. When you get tired of jammed shells and hand feed the POS it shoots 1 1/2", with a multitude of ammo brands. My friends 300 mag Montana does exactly the same thing. It would appear to be designed to fail.
Anybody interested in a Kimber needs only to google "kimber feed problems" to see they have a problem. Unfortunately, I googled after i bought the gun. I expect a little more for $1000. When their CS person was told of the problem, I got the "I never heard of that before" BS, at which point I told him he was a piss poor liar. That gun is headed back. Time will tell how it's handled.

Don and I talk on occasion and he knows where I'm coming from. I learned my lesson. Google is your friend when it comes to rifles and their inherent problems.
when getting a good gun comes down to luck, its time to pick another brand. I hear good things about savage and tikka. Those are the only two I would buy at this point expecting out of the box accuracy and reliability.

My Tikka is sub MOA no matter what I feed it.. Easiest rifle I have loaded for..And like YD says buttery smooth action... Fits me well and it seems to be the gun O always grab when going hunting.. Most people who handle them like them then really like them once they start shooting them..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Tikka has my vote, and I own a number of 700s. Light weight and accurate as hell. Throw a limbsaver on there and you are golden. I shoot the .300WSM as well, and the recoil is less than my buddies 30.06 rem.

I'll give Savage one credit!

There was only one way they could go & that was up!

Guess you could get a Lemmon in any Brand WapatiBob!

Got several Remingtons & BY GAWD like sage says:They shoot where I Aim!:D

15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

+2 on the Sako. I have the Sako 75 .300 WSM that I got on gunbroaker.com for under $1000. Awesome gun, stainless, sub moa. It was used but looked brand new when I got it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom