Tikka T3 Rifles?

N

nutsaboutbucks

I don't know why I am asking this now, but I bought one for my son for Christmas. Does anyone have good or bad expiereance with these rifles?
Thanks

I had a 7mm that I loved so much I went out and bought a 300 WSM. It's now my new favorite. Very accurate out of the box.

Think I'm going to get a 338 pretty soon, too.

I BOUGHT ONE IN THE .300WSM.....LOVE IT, ITS SMOOTH, VERY ACCURATE, & LIGHT....THE PRICE WAS RIGHT TOO.....YD.

I bought one in 7mm. It is very light and accurate out of the box. It does kick very hard, but I can live with it. I will be buying the the same gun in 270 for my 11 year old. My 7mm I bought at Cabelas. It is the SS/synthetic. It was on sale for $549, and then I had a coupon for $100 off any purchase over $500. Hard to believe I could buy a gun that light in SS/synthetic that almost shoots a 1/2 inch out the box for $450.

Thanks for the reply's my sons is a 270 wsm he was very happy on Christmas.

Hey Mozey,
What type of bullets are you using for your 300wsm? I have one and haven't found the right bullet yet.
Jason

My son has a T3 in .223. He absolutely loves that rifle, and it is a very accurate gun. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Tikka after seeing the quality and shooting his rifle.

My 7mm shoots 175 grain Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bearclaw very well, so I started with those in 180 grain for the 300 wsm T3 Lite, but the best I could do was a two-inch group. Switched to Winchesters (I forget the bullet, but it was their premium (silver-tips?), also in 180 grain) and groups shrunk to 1" to 1.25". Then tried Remington Sciroccos (also 180 grain), and groups went sub 1-inch. I'm currently in the process of buying the stuff necessary to do my own handloading, but have not done any experimenting with that yet to be able to tell you about.

I'm two for two on hunts with the 300, shot a barbary ram and muley buck with the Scirrocos. The ram was running directly away from me with only the back of its head visible at a 100 yards, and I made what I consider to be a pretty 1ucky one-shot kill when I drilled it through the back of the neck. It was running off a hill and disappeared completely by the time I recovered from the recoil. I went running down the hill after it to see if I could get another shot at it once it was at the bottom of the hill only to be completely surprised to see it laying dead as a doornail where it dropped in its tracks.

The buck was standing broadside at 40 yards. I saw it flinch at the shot, but it didn't otherwise move, so I shot again. On the second shot it stumbled forward down a hill about 40 yards before piling up in some sage brush. When I got to it both bullets struck within an inch of each other and were complete pass throughs with small exit wounds. The buck was dead after the first shot, but after seeing that, I think it might be too much bullet for a deer-sized animal at that range. I intend to experiment with some lighter bullets for deer-sized game. If you find something that works for you, please let me know.

I shoot dont shoot well but the 300 made me look better this year. I put on a muzzy brake and limbsaver to knock the kick down and love it. Killed a buck and a bull at 382 yards wich is good for a bad shooter like me. LOL

I have 2 1 in 338 win mag Lam stock and 1 in 300wsm syn stock love both of them took them to Africa and both preformed very well 300wsm loves 60.5gr of H414 with 180gr accubonds. 338 shoots both 225 gr accubonds and 225 gr hornady interbonds didn't really like the performance of the Hornady's as they did not hold together very well.

Very good rifles!!

I own 4 Tikka T3's, two .270 WSMs', a .300 Win Mag, and a .338 Win Mag.

I'm selling the 338 Win mag, (posted in classifieds) and plan on getting something smaller like maybe a 25-06 or a .243. Either way it will be another Tikka!

"Windage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

I have two Tikkas, 25-06 and 22-250. Super Accurate!! They are as good as anything else I've ever shot. I also have a couple Sakos and I like the Tikkas a little better. I have a Sako A7 300 WSM also, which is very similar (almost identical) to a Tikka T3, but two hundred dollars more. Next I need a Tikka 7mm Mag (one of my favorite cartridges) and a Tikka .308, maybe the Tactical version. I still like Rugers (after trigger jobs), Winchesters, ARs, Remingtons, etc, but I think the Tikkas are the best value out there.
On the Sako A7 300 WSM, I added a Limbsaver recoil pad and put a muzzle brake on it. It kicked much worse than my .338 Win Mag., but now it's not bad at all.
-- Bob

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-09 AT 05:55PM (MST)[p]Good guns for the money. Super smooth actions and usually very accurate. Also nice the come with rings.

I don't like that the shortmags are built on long actions, and the outrages price on the plastic magazines. They also kick like a mule and have cheap stocks.

Even with that being said they're a great value.

If anyone finds some cheap magazines or good aftermarket stocks let us know. $70 is a joke!

One of the reasons I bought the 300 WSM in the Sako A7 instead of the Tikka was because I could get the A7 in the short action, but I don't know that I would pay the extra for that again.
-- Bob

My one complaint about my guns were the accompanying rings, but I guess it depends on the type of hunting that you do. I backpack into some rugged areas, and the rings just weren't able to stand up to the normal bumps that accompanied my type of hunting. I was whining about it in the NM forum when I got a great tip from nmbullfighter to switch to steel rings with either Loctite or clear fingernail polish and the zero has not moved since.

By the way, both of my T3s are topped with Sightron Big Skys, and for my money, have proven to be top performers and very durable.

I also put Limbsavers on both of mine, and the small investment has made a worthwhile difference in the felt recoil.

Paul is right about the cheap plastic clips--no way those should cost $70, so I balked. But fortunately, I haven't yet been in a situation where I needed to throw in another clip.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-09 AT 11:08PM (MST)[p]Ditto on the steel rings on them too. The only way to go for guys that put a few
rounds through their guns.

Word of caution on the detachable magazines (from personal experience) if you don't have a spare, losing one can ruin a hunt fast! They're almost impossible to load single shot...

Has anyone ever shot on of the Tikka 223 Varminter? Looks like a pretty sharp rifle. For fit and finish, the Tikkas are pretty tight compared to other factory rifles. Most of which seem to be getting worse.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom