Ticks

D

Dboyz

Just returned from the Idaho bear hunt. The ticks were as thick as mosquitos. Probably pulled a dozen off each of us. Is there anything out there to combat these little suckers?

Did you find the bears or just the ticks?
My favorite thing to do: Pick them off once I'm back to the tent and throw them into the bottom half of a diet dew can and plop it onto the stove. I love the sound of popping ticks!!!!!
Other than that, no.
Zeke
PS; I hate ticks!

Permethrin.

It not only repels them but actually kills them. Last I checked, Wal-Mart sells it in spray cans. You spray your CLOTHES -- NOT your skin.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Deet. I use REPEL spray with 40% deet. I also spray capes and heads that come into my shop with the same repellent- which kills the ticks. I sprayed it on my Lab and rubbed it into his hair to help get the ticks off. I hate ticks.

I hope that area where you encountered the large amount of ticks does not have a history of Lyme diease. If you come down with flu like symptons, get to a doctor.

RELH

>Just returned from the Idaho bear
>hunt. The ticks were
>as thick as mosquitos.
>Probably pulled a dozen off
>each of us. Is
>there anything out there to
>combat these little suckers?

A dozen is all? I just got back from 10 days in the Idaho Panhandle hunting bears and we'd have a dozen ticks on us most every road we walked! By far the worst year I've ever seen for the pesky little suckers!

Also encountered lots of snow, lots of downed trees, little grass, and a chit load of sqeeters! Oh, and 10 bears seen! Despite tough condition we still managed to go two for four on spot and stalk bears with over the counter tags.

All of my gear is soaked and I have it scattered throughout the house and garage in an attempt to get it somewhat dry, but I can't wait to do it all again next year!

>Lots of deet on the pant
>legs seems to work for
>me in the past.
>
>If I can, I usually like
>to wear shorts and short
>sleeves as much as possible
>so I can feel them
>crawling on me. I
>have a very strong abhorrence
>for those buggers.
>
>Todd Black
>
>Visit our YouTube page
>http://www.youtube.com/user/bulls4bto?feature=mhum

Khaki or tan pants and white or light colored shirts are the way to go in tick country. A buddy of mine is still up there and took nothing but King's Camo and if you look at it close there's actually stuff in the pattern that looks like ticks. When we talked to him as we were pulling out he said he was going to Spokane to buy khaki pants.

We've tried every spray and chemical known to man and there is anything we've found that will repel ticks and I'm convinced they actually like DEET!

>>Just returned from the Idaho bear
>>hunt. The ticks were
>>as thick as mosquitos.
>>Probably pulled a dozen off
>>each of us. Is
>>there anything out there to
>>combat these little suckers?
>
>A dozen is all? I just
>got back from 10 days
>in the Idaho Panhandle hunting
>bears and we'd have a
>dozen ticks on us most
>every road we walked! By
>far the worst year I've
>ever seen for the pesky
>little suckers!
>
>Also encountered lots of snow, lots
>of downed trees, little grass,
>and a chit load of
>sqeeters! Oh, and 10 bears
>seen! Despite tough condition we
>still managed to go two
>for four on spot and
>stalk bears with over the
>counter tags.
>
>All of my gear is soaked
>and I have it scattered
>throughout the house and garage
>in an attempt to get
>it somewhat dry, but I
>can't wait to do it
>all again next year!

We walked our butts off and only found a few fresh piles of scat, we didn't see any bears. You must have been up there with Manwill I take it. This was our first year. We learned alot and will know what to expect next year. Can't wait to do it again.

permanone is excellent, if they still sell it. I'm originally from Virginia and I have no doubt that I've had many thousands of ticks stuck in me in my life. We also use to rub sulfur on our ankles.

I've been bit twice this spring already...I hate ticks too!! Frickin vampire bugs!!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/Feleno/zFix.jpg[/IMG] ~Z~

Put Baby Powder in your boots! Its not 100% but I don't get near the ticks on me, with BP in my boots, as when I don't have any in them. I thought it was BS untill I tried it.

I use baby powder at home to keep the ants at bay. Works really well. I can't see why it wouldn't work on ticks.

Eldorado

Before I was married I liked to bring along my latest gal pal. It was a sure fire way to get them naked, all I had to say was TICKS!

>>>Just returned from the Idaho bear
>>>hunt. The ticks were
>>>as thick as mosquitos.
>>>Probably pulled a dozen off
>>>each of us. Is
>>>there anything out there to
>>>combat these little suckers?
>>
>>A dozen is all? I just
>>got back from 10 days
>>in the Idaho Panhandle hunting
>>bears and we'd have a
>>dozen ticks on us most
>>every road we walked! By
>>far the worst year I've
>>ever seen for the pesky
>>little suckers!
>>
>>Also encountered lots of snow, lots
>>of downed trees, little grass,
>>and a chit load of
>>sqeeters! Oh, and 10 bears
>>seen! Despite tough condition we
>>still managed to go two
>>for four on spot and
>>stalk bears with over the
>>counter tags.
>>
>>All of my gear is soaked
>>and I have it scattered
>>throughout the house and garage
>>in an attempt to get
>>it somewhat dry, but I
>>can't wait to do it
>>all again next year!
>
>We walked our butts off and
>only found a few fresh
>piles of scat, we didn't
>see any bears. You
>must have been up there
>with Manwill I take it.
> This was our first
>year. We learned alot
>and will know what to
>expect next year. Can't wait
>to do it again.

Manwill is better known as "Tick Boy"... :) He still holds the record at 16 ticks in one walk!

Foreman, been there done that. Creepy business is the only way I can describe it. Once you find one under your cheek (butt that is) you have no problem stripping naked in 3 seconds, regardless of whose in camp.

I've live around ticks my whole life, I've never seen ticks like there are in the Idaho PanHandle in the spring. They fall out of the pine trees like rain if you stand under one for 5 seconds. Makes my skin crawl just thinking about it again. Damn you! I'll be checking things all night again.

About that wet camp clothing behavior, yep, spread that stuff all through your house so those little suckers can get down in every crack and crevasse, to creep out and attach to your warm, moist places, three months from now. Just saying. We saved a few in our duffle bags too, just to make sure we had some in deer camp in the fall.

Well, sleep well.

DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom