Thoughts on this Ram

bowhunt

Long Time Member
Hi Guys,

What are your thoughts on this Utah Desert Sheep?
Would he be a Ram of interest on most of the Utah Units?

Interested to hear your thoughts on size, age, etc.

P.S.
These photo are 2 years old, and he is still alive, is he a a shooter now?

Bighornstanding.jpg

bighornlaying1.jpg

Mike,

Cool pics man!

I think he's over 7 years old in the photos. That would put him at 9.5+ for this hunting season.

My answer would be..... Yes,If the hunter likes the look, depending on the unit.

He's not as big as your desert ram and will never be. There's somthing to be said about genetics.

Like our discussion about the Lockhart, in that unit, a 140" class IV ram is a shooter.

Zeke

Looks 7.

Makes you wonder what he looks like now. How many inches do sheep usually put on in two years?

+1 Zeke,
He definitely looks like he has Arizona sheep genes in him, which would put him in one of those far south units. Where he is at would make all the difference to me.
As far as putting on inches, I am told that sheep don't grow all that much from year to year once they are mature...other than in girth. So he is probably heavier but he won't grow much longer, if at all...that is if he could outsmart the increase of cougars down there.

At some point I will reveal the unit, but I like the discussion. I am confident that in this photo he is 7 years old.

In the last 2 years he really has not put on any length, but is a little heavier...I would say he has gained 5-8 inches in the last 2.5 years. A solid Ram, for the unit and one that should make a person very happy!

I agree.

They only push out about 1/2 to 3/4 inch or so per year after the 7 year mark. It does add to the mass a bit but they usually broom the length enough to off-set the additional score from mass.

2 years does add to the age and that's about it.

Disclaimer; I am not an expert or a professional. Nothing I say may be held against me in any way, shape or form. LOL

Oh ya, this applies to my obsevations of Ut and Nev desert rams only.

I love the photos!!!!!!! Do you have any more to share with us?

Zeke

Wow Zeke,

Where's the Machismo?
And what's with the sudden lost confidence and disclaimer nonsense?
You taught me everything I know about Ovis canadensis nelsoni!

So where does that leave me? My hero/mentor going down in flames---right before my eyes! LOL

Well... It was supposed to be a little humorous.

You know me. I'll stick with my guns to the very end!

If I have an opinion (based on lots of experience) I'll voice it. If I don't know, I'll ask. I guess that's where some people differ. I also understand real-world situations vs ideal-world situations and know the difference.

I'm am amiable type anyway.

Love,
Zeke

I have this ram in the same ball park as well.

One thing I did learn this past sheep season is how little I really know about sheep. It seems every year I've learned so much more than the year before.

Another thing about judging sheep. It's tough. It helps to look at as many rams as you can alive and it helps to look at as many dead ones as you can. I've always found it easier to score rams with a tape when they're dead because they don't kick as bad or move. I was more than a few inches off on a ram we killed this past sheep season. I thought him to be 175, he was 184. I'm sure glad my client didn't say "180 or bust" because we would have continued looking for a white whale.

My best advise for beginners aside from the age factor is look at as many rams as you can and shoot the biggest one and don't worry about score because you can only kill whats in a unit.

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

When I've score rams, while alive, I simply tell them one of my hunting stories and tape them while they are bored stiff! LOL

I've been surprized a time or two. In 2009, on my daughters hunt, I field judged her ram at 155"+ and old enough to shoot. Turned out it was 163"+ and 12 1/2 years old. In NV 2007, I found and judged a ram for my cousin. I was right on the score (162") but actually off on the age. It was 7.5 but even after looking at it for over 1/2 hour we thought it was older. It's hard to see those rings even when quite close to the rams.

Three things have helped educate me the most. 1-looking at a bunch of live rams over the years. 2-scoring every ram I could get my hands on. 3-attending the Nevada orientation course a couple times. I've attended the Ut course 3 times but it's not as thorough.

When mesquitehunter talkes about 170" and 180"+ rams, most of us in Ut can only drool! We just don't have em that huge! Well...Mike has one! Good for you!

Zeke

Hey Mike tell me where he is ill shoot him if i draw....
I could be off but I think he's 28-28.5 on the longer side, 2 inches shorter on the other and probably around 147.

Shoot em till their dead

I do have another photo, and will post when I get a chance.
He is on a unit that you do not hear that much about. This Ram was found when looking for a 165+ Ram that frequented the area.

More later.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom