Thoughts about the 243 WSSM

F

Flatlandr

Dad informed me today that he picked up a new 243 WSSM for our upcoming Antelope hunt. Is this a good round for Antelope and what weight bullet and type of bullet do you recommend? Any pros / cons about this round?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Mark

I don't own a .243 WSSM but I do have a .243 and the ballistics are almost identical. The .243 round is fine for antelope and the premium bullets now available make it even better because they have more downrange energy and stay together much better.

Unfortunately,bullet choices are limited in .243WSSM. After a quick internet search, the only premium factory load I could find was Winchester's Supreme Elite Cartridge with the XP3 95 grainbullet.(Cabela's) The XP3 is an upgrade of Winchester's Fail Safe bullet. I have not used it but I am sure it is a good premium bullet.I'm sure there are other factory rounds with good bullets out there.Of course, handloading greatly expands your choices but I am not a handloader since factory ammunition has come so far.

Good luck on y'all's hunt!

I took mine to shoot prairy dogs with Nosler 55grn B.tips goin a little over 4000fps and ended up shooting two doe with them. I'm not suggesting this is the best combo for antelope but those doe hit the ground faster than anything I've shot befor.(I shot my buck with a 7mm) First doe at 250 and second at 290 yards. I found the bullet against the off side hide on one of them. I think a heavier Btip in the 90 or 100 range would buck the wind better.(if you handload) I tried some 95grn Partitions in mine and couldnt get them to chamber very well. The lead tip would deform and catch coming up out of the mag well. Good luck and have fun.
Bryan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom