Thinking of making the switch

R

Raghorn_Reaper

Hi everyone. I live in Wisconsin and have been whitetail hunting for about 20 years, both bow and gun. I feel like i am at the point in my life (35) where sitting in a tree stand is just not fulfilling that inner desire.

I really need to get back into the backcountry where a mans spirit comes alive! Just tired of the rat race here with big buck hunting.
I have just 2 years of elk hunting the backcountry and am in good shape.

Has anyone made this switch?

I have a family so my time is somewhat limited and the logistics of hunting out west are a little more complicated, but has anybody made the switch? I feel like as my son (and maybe daughters)grow up, i can offer them more by taking them to the backcountry.

It just seems nuts to be in my prime and stuck in a treestand.

Never understood why anybody would want to be east of the Dakotas if you hunt. All depends on whether or not you can find a decent paying job out west. Your first responsibility is to your family. I have lot's of friends that have made their way west.

www.hunthardcore.com

I threw everything I owned in a Ford ranger at 22 and drove to colorado to b closer to those mtns! Haven't regretted it for a second! But I do miss that treestand back in mn that first wknd in nov every fall!

Well i wasnt really thinking of moving out west...well i lied. I have thought of it but convincing the wife may be another issue.

I think the main thing is leaving the pals and consistently hunting out west...many times probably solo.

>I threw everything I owned in
>a Ford ranger at 22
>and drove to colorado to
>b closer to those mtns!
>Haven't regretted it for a
>second! But I do miss
>that treestand back in mn
>that first wknd in nov
>every fall!

Now that is getting after it! Wish i would have been smart enough to do that when i was younger.

Tough to move a family nowadays. I have a job that is in high demand and it would still be very tough.

There's a real commitment of time and dollar investment (spendy) for tags for the NR hunter. You can do it but you'd better stay focused at work and on family the other 48 weeks throughout the year!
I didn't have to "go west" but it still takes lots of time and money to hunt across the West.
Good luck and don't get discouraged!
Zeke

Couple of thoughts. Hunting out west can be an incredible experience and definitely does not require a person to pack into the wilderness. Wilderness is fun but many people who hunt west find solitude and the inner peace from the truck. In the beginning come out with just the basics. A camp stove a cooler and a shower. Light pop up tent and your bow. Other than fuel it does not have to be all that expensive. There are many place a guy can drive a truck to set up camp with no one around and before first light hike 2-3 miles and spend the day all alone in good habitat. The other great thing is having the truck allows you to move across units and areas. I have seen guy hike 7 miles into the cam spend the weekend in great land and never see and elk. Maybe bears were bad or the last week sheep came through etc.

I say go west. Keep it simple and start finding country and learn the country.

I seldom hunt more than 2 miles from a road, yet I see very few hunters and have good success. Better success than anyone I know hunting the wilderness...

Make some friends and hell you might just get a guy nice enough to offer up a camp, couch, etc.

If you do not start now, 10 years from now you will be posting the same question and some 30 year old person will come and say 10 year ago I threw my stuff in a range and went hunting in CO... You will again look back and say I wish I would have!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-14 AT 07:40AM (MST)[p]Lol! 96 is right. U don't have to make it a $5k deal every fall. U can make it relatively inexpensive. Maybe start with a summer family vacation and hit a spot u like and hike for a day or 2. Hit the yellowstones and Rushmores on the way to and from for the wife and kids. By the way it was 25yrs ago I made the move....seems like last week!

Start coming out west now while you still can! I got in 10 years so far with my Dad hunting out here since I moved to CO, wish we would have started earlier!

Hunting whitetails out of tree stand is still fun, I enjoy going home (northern MN) to hunt them! They are both unique in their own way.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>wah wah wah......
a certain individuals response on 8/12/2014 to anyone that commits suicide.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/19864.html
There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

Wow guys thanks for the great advice! I always thought i had to get back in the wilderness to "experience it all".

I really like that mobile approach and could see how it would fit in. Especially as the kids get older and i am ready to take them or need to adjust location. Part of it is putting all your eggs in one basket and this helps with that. With time limited this is a smart approach.

>If you do not start now,
>10 years from now you
>will be posting the same
>question and some 30 year
>old person will come and
>say 10 year ago I
>threw my stuff in a
>range and went hunting in
>CO... You will again look
>back and say I wish
>I would have!

Thank you for this reminder and words of wisdom. Even at 35 i already live with some regrets on things i wish i would have done earlier.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom