Things to teach your son

Roy

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-13 AT 08:55AM (MST)[p]My oldest boy turns 15 today. That means that I only have 3 1/2 years left with him at home. That's not a lot of time. The thing that scares me the most is that I may not be able to teach him all the things I think he needs to learn.

Before I struck out on my own (serving an LDS mission at age 19 in the Florida, Ft. Lauderdale mission) my dad remarked that he thought he had taught me pretty much everything he knew. However, a day or two before I left, all of a sudden he stopped me and said - "Chaining up! I still haven't taught you how to chain up!" I told him not to worry as I didn't think I was going to need it all that much in Miami. He agreed, but it bothered him still, right before he took me in to the MTC he said it again. To this day, twenty-one years later, I still do not know how to chain up.

So, that makes me wonder, what are some important things a father needs to teach his son? What are the vital things I still need to teach my boy?

Thoughts? Advice?

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Patients, how to keep a cool head, and listen to yourself. Now if your talking about working with your hands then how to work a wrench, tape measure, saw, hammer, file, fishing pole, knife, and gun.

Just a few I have made a point for my sons but the first 3 mentioned are the most difficult to teach and learn.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-13 AT 10:19AM (MST)[p].............RESPECT........

After that, life pretty much teaches us whatever we need to know......assuming you left home with a childs' portion of intellect.

I can chain up anything with wheels........but I don't speak Spanish.

You get stuck in a snowstorm in North Dakota, you'll figure it out. I get stuck in Baja, I'll figure it out.

Thought I might add that life teaches us things we will never need to know again.

I once was considered the GRAND MASTER at calculating how much lead was necessary to make a 30 cal. ammo can go thru the window of a a bamboo shack, from 2000 feet in the air, at 180 knots. It took practice and skill, especially if you had to allow for weight, depending on how much "chit" we put in the cans. Airspeed, angle of attack, rotor pitch and crosswind, all had to be factored in.

This particular talent has been of ZERO use to me in the past 42 years.

My point is, you don't need to concern yourself with teaching someone EVERYTHING they need to know.

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

Responsibility and to make the right choice, everything else will fall into place.
I don't have a clue who you are other than on here but if you are asking that question and are worried then you raised your son the best way you could. He should be fine, thanks for being a Dad, there should be more out there like you!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-13 AT 10:20AM (MST)[p]Two things stand out.

Once, when he was 4 and we took him hunting, I let him learn the hard way why you pee downhill. It was a true learning point for him.

The second thing...when he was about 9, he asked me why his weiner stuck out in the morning. I told him to ask his mom.

On a more serious note, I told him that my one golden rule, to myself as a kid was to never, ever under any circumstances make my mom embarassed to hear my name spoken.

My son is 5... I tell him we don't say the word "can't" I teach him that he needs to respect everyone. I teach him that you NEVER deserve anything, your earn it whether it be good or bad. Also the word "fair" doesn't exist either.

Traditional >>>------->

Hard work wins 90% of the time, if you want something, keep working towards that goal and don't give up.

Never say or write something you wouldn't want on the front page of the newspaper.

Figure out what you can effect and do whatever you can to make it the way you want it, if its something you can't change, don't waste time worrying about it.

We have no control over the actions of others, only our reactions.

Always use a condom, even if they say they are on the pill!

Bunch of Rookies!

Bout the time they reach 15-16 they know everything!

Even more than you know!

Kiddin!

There are some Kids like that though!

Some have to learn the Hard Way!

Hey Roy!

Did your Dad say 'Chain Up'?

Or Cowboy-Up?:D

RAZZIN Ya!

Jenny already told us how She taught you to Cowboy-Up!:D

Ain't No way We could teach Our Kids everything when We Ourselves are still learning throughout Our Entire Lives!

Teach em everything you can!

"""Supporting Speed Limits doesn't make You Anti Car"""

No & You'll never Fix STUPID or WACKO'S by changing Gun Laws You Dumb BITTCH!

I've got two little boys, ages 7 and 4. I think about this topic a lot. I want them to know that a man is measured based on how he treats a woman. For me, that is the most important thing.

Some things I feel like I learned from my dad or other great men in my life have been:

Gun safety
Get out of your chair when you shake hands with an older man.
Two ways to do a job, the right way or over again.
Better to buy one high quality item than buy 3 pieces of crap.
Golf course etiquette.

Things I wish I would have learned as a kid:

How to frame a house
How to pull and back up a trailer
Balance a checkbook

>My son is 5... I tell
>him we don't say the
>word "can't" I teach him
>that he needs to respect
>everyone. I teach him that
>you NEVER deserve anything, your
>earn it whether it be
>good or bad. Also the
>word "fair" doesn't exist either.
>
>
>
>
>Traditional >>>------->

I could not agree more!

You get to choose your behavior, but you don't get to choose the consequences of your behavior.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

Respect for his mother and sisters! If so, someday a father will be happy to have him for a son in law.

WOW, you guys amaze me. You can actually get serious and impart some real wisdom!

Roy, You've never chained-up before? I'd think at 40 it would have happened a couple dozen times already. haha

Good luck to you and your son! It sounds like you've set his feet firmly on the path!

Zeke

Good points all - quite a few of these we are working on. Some we still need to do.

Bess - that is probably why I never learned to chain up. We drove all around the Uintas, the Basin, and the Bookcliffs in the worst of weather in that old buckskin colored Ford that is still out back at my Mom's place and never once did we ever put the chains on! They were always there, in the back, in feed sacks underneath the spare tires. Most of the time he felt that if you couldn't get there with 2 wheel drive you didn't really need to get there in the first place and you only used 4 wheel drive to get you out of a situation that changed on you or you didn't expect. He would always tell me that most guys who chain up their pick-ups only do it because they don't really know how to drive in the mud and are just tearing up the roads (and the country). We were slow and cautious and we usually had a load of wood on the back so the weight did the work the chains would have.

Zeke - I had a 2wd Toyota SR22 that I took more places than most guys with 4WD would try, figured if I got it really stuck, I could just pick it up and put it back on the road! HA HA! I have been lucky, haven't ever had a need for it. Living in a drought afflicted area of Central Texas for 10 years has certainly helped. I got my KIA Rio (commuter car extraordinaire) stuck in the mud a little a few weeks back in the dirt parking lot here at work. Rocked it back and forth a little, hit a sandy spot and felt the traction so I gave it hell and got it out! That is the closest I have come to needing chains in about 15 years.

Nickman - very wise post! If you ever ARE stuck in Baja - give me a ring. I will talk to them for you if you need it.

Great insights. I have a few more that I have been thinking about that I will share later.

Keep them coming!

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

How about what did did he teach ME??? ;-) Like be careful when you let your 16 year old and his equally goofy friend take the pick-up on a firewood run while deer hunting! A few hours later we happened upon them buried to the axles! :)

THEN it was my turn to teach HIM something. Like how to dig yourself out! :eek: :eek: (Lucky for him, we had a nice duely to help with the pull-out duty....)

Like a lot of kids, I suppose that mine has learned and will continue to lear mostly from life's lessons, IMO.

:)

S.

PS: He shot a little 3 pt. muley the next morning and proved that he could gut a deer and pack it 1/2 mile to the truck, so I suppose I taught him that too! :)

October2011MuleDeerHunt001.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-13 AT 03:28PM (MST)[p]Maybe not teach... but let him know its OK to make mistakes, everyone does. It's how he handles himself after the mistakes that will show how much he's learned.

Don't lie, it will likely come back and bite you.

When he gets a girlfriend, never her leave her someplace she doesn't know she's going to be left at.

BTW I have never chained up in 45+ years and I've always lived in mountain states.

Roy, having known you over the past few years, I don't think there is much you missed. I think you have lead by example, and that's the one way kids learn best. They see you even when you think they are not paying attention. Kids are very sharp that way.

I know darn good and well he knows how to spell.:)

Maybe teach him how to hunt trophy turt........wait, you better send him to me for a couple months.

Eel

>How about what did did he
>teach ME??? ;-)
> Like be careful
>when you let your 16
>year old and his equally
>goofy friend take the pick-up
>on a firewood run while
>deer hunting! A few
>hours later we happened upon
>them buried to the axles!
>:)
>
>THEN it was my turn to
>teach HIM something. Like
>how to dig yourself out!
> :eek: :eek:
>(Lucky for him, we had
>a nice duely to help
>with the pull-out duty....)
>
>Like a lot of kids, I
>suppose that mine has learned
>and will continue to lear
>mostly from life's lessons, IMO.
>
>
>:)
>
>S.
>
>PS: He shot a little
>3 pt. muley the next
>morning and proved that he
>could gut a deer and
>pack it 1/2 mile to
>the truck, so I suppose
>I taught him that too!
> :)
>
>
October2011MuleDeerHunt001.jpg

JUDAS!

Only a Teenager could get a Truck Stuck on dry ground!

For You Boys that's never Chained up,Well you've never been on a Ride with the Ole cat!

Eel's right. I'm sure he has learned. The things I taught my kids are basically what you learn at sandbox age. It comes down to HONESTY, INTEGRITY, COURTESY AND RESPECT. If you honor those values, you'll get 90% of life right. Then it comes to THINK, PAY ATTENTION, AND TRY HARD. That will get you 90% of the rest.

You might teach him how to handload if you haven't. Might be the only way to get good ammo the way things are moving.

My little guy turns 40 this year. He's a better man than me. I now have an additional 2 sons that were outstanding choices my daughters made.

Hang in there Roy.. keep them close.. you're fine.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

"We really don't get smarter as we age, we just run out of stupid stuff we ain't already done".......Nickman"

Exact same boat. Son is 15 and will be the last one in the nest.

Finance.

Teach him to save money and live within his means.

Hard work and perseverence as mentioned above.

Choose a career that has a future.

>My son is 5... I tell
>him we don't say the
>word "can't" I teach him
>that he needs to respect
>everyone. I teach him that
>you NEVER deserve anything, your
>earn it whether it be
>good or bad. Also the
>word "fair" doesn't exist either.
>
>
>
>
>Traditional >>>------->

+1

....how to love a dog with all their heart.....and how to bury the same dog.

Genghis Khan raped so many women that 1 in 200 people today carry his genes..

>....how to love a dog with
>all their heart.....and how to
>bury the same dog.
>
>
>
>
>Genghis Khan raped so many women
>that 1 in 200 people
>today carry his genes..

Zigger, why is it important that our sons know????

Genghis Khan raped so many women that 1 in 200 people today carry his genes..

Should that be a goal?
A shortcut when researching the family tree?
:)

>....how to love a dog with
>all their heart.....and how to
>bury the same dog.
>

I'm damn good at the first one but piss poor at the second....

>>....how to love a dog with
>>all their heart.....and how to
>>bury the same dog.
>>
>
>
>I'm damn good at the first
>one but piss poor at
>the second....

....you're not supposed to be good at it Harry....you're just supposed to be able to suck it up and do it properly. It is not a job mommy does for you.

I don't think there is any way to teach our kids all they need to know. But if we teach them to have the courage to take on the unknown.......we've done our job pretty well. mtmuley

I think nickman is wrong. I'll bet the lessons learned from knowing how to make those calculations have been put to use everyday of his life, if not the actual calculation themselves then the absolute knowledge that "I can master this challenge" regardless of it's complexity. We forget how valuable and interrelated our skills are. By the way nickman, thank you for your military service, I have upmost respect for Vietnam warriors! We owe you guys,

On the interpersonal lessons: Learning to comfortably accept accountability. Next to the magic of repentance I think accepting personal accountability is the most liberating life skill we can teach. Just a my view of course.

Regarding the hands-on lessons such as putting on chains. Here's one I think that often gets over looked is a practiced skill using: leverage, ie: lifting way more than you can lift on your own with a lever. (Lifting a pick-up truck off a high center rock with a stump and a 15 foot lodge pole and a thousand other uses is extremely valuable, A simple understanding of this principal of physics has saved my backside a dozen times a year, on the mountain and in the backyard.)

So easy to demonstrate and so impressive it doesn't take long for the youngsters to learn the concept.

>I think nickman is wrong.
>I'll bet the lessons learned
>from knowing how to make
>those calculations have been put
>to use everyday of his
>life, if not the actual
>calculation themselves then the absolute
>knowledge that "I can master
>this challenge" regardless of it's
>complexity. We forget how
>valuable and interrelated our skills
>are. By the way
>nickman, thank you for your
>military service, I have upmost
>respect for Vietnam warriors!
>We owe you guys,
>
>On the interpersonal lessons: Learning
>to comfortably accept accountability.
>Next to the magic of
>repentance I think accepting personal
>accountability is the most liberating
>life skill we can teach.
> Just a my view
>of course.
>
>Regarding the hands-on lessons such as
>putting on chains. Here's
>one I think that often
>gets over looked is a
>practiced skill using:
>leverage, ie: lifting way more
>than you can lift on
>your own with a lever.
> (Lifting a pick-up truck
>off a high center rock
>with a stump and a
>15 foot lodge pole and
>a thousand other uses is
>extremely valuable, A simple understanding
>of this principal of physics
>has saved my backside a
>dozen times a year, on
>the mountain and in the
>backyard.)
>
>So easy to demonstrate and so
>impressive it doesn't take long
>for the youngsters to learn
>the concept.

Thanks Buddy!.......and I must agree with your opinion on "accountability".

I didn't think to include it in my reply, but there is no doubt that when one learns to accept accountability for his own actions and his own future, life is easier indeed!......especially when it comes to women. Simply accept responsibility for EVERYTHING she is accusing you of and then get on with the day. They can't handle that.

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

Gonna add one here Roy that I do Consider a Wise move to teach your Kids!

THE RESPECT FOR MOTHER NATURE!

She's put me in a few Nine Line Binds in my Day!

Yup,it was always my Fault,well usually was any way!

I can think of several times when things happened so quick there wasn't time to do anything!

The time We/10 of us were up Snowmobiling about 12,000 feet around Midnight & the Wind all of of Sudden hit us so hard from behind it tore a windshield off of one machine & a Hood off another machine and was a complete White Out,Visibility 0,Temp -15,Wind Chill I have not a Clue?

I feel we got Lucky that Night,I've been in the Conditions all my Life & have Endured some Rediculous BS but that Night will Haunt me for Life!

Bad part is that it can happen so Quick you ain't got a chance!

Just sayin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Pay Attention,Use that Round Thang Atop your Shoulders to the Best of it's Ability!

Setting here on my couch, in front of a crackling pinion fireplace, I got to say the first half of your sentence was the more accurate part: "Yup,it was always my Fault"........who decided to put they's self at "12,000 feet around Midnight" when there was potential for "a complete White Out,Visibility 0,Temp -15,Wind Chill I have not a Clue".

Even if it was to rescue a kidnapped 22 year old blond with flexible morals? It's all abou the choices we makes, yes?

>Setting here on my couch, in
>front of a crackling pinion
>fireplace, I got to say
>the first half of your
>sentence was the more accurate
>part: "Yup,it was always my
>Fault"........who decided to put they's
>self at "12,000 feet around
>Midnight" when there was potential
>for "a complete White Out,Visibility
>0,Temp -15,Wind Chill I have
>not a Clue".
>
>Even if it was to rescue
>a kidnapped 22 year old
>blond with flexible morals?
> It's all abou the
>choices we makes, yes?

Well Koman!

JFYI!

Yes,Riding Sleds all Night in Our Neck of the Woods ain't nothin New!

As far as Somebody Predicting a Micro Burst/Extreme High Winds,Well I'm no weather Forecaster!

If you Ain't Experienced any 'Nine Line Binds' in your day you just haven't been in the Backwoods much!

You missed the lead-in message son. Coaching from the couch was my attempt to admit that you were out there have a big old time while I was home spooning warm milk and gumming white toast.

I have no doubt your closer to nine than me but I've made a few bad choices over the years too, got eight or ten busted bones, separated ribs, torn ligaments, broken teeth, caused by baseball bats, hockey sticks, horses, cows, helmets, other guys body parts, falls, and motorized equipment of various size and shapes to my credit. Survived a life altering night or two myself, hell I've ever managed a few in broad daylight.

In "every" case it was I, me, myself, the ten foot tall and bullet proof one, that suited up, saddled up, climb on, jumped off, run down, fired up and volunteered to risk life and limb. Nobody has yet to hold a gun to my head, I've always been the one that: "nodded my head for the gate". Can't blame nobody but me for the morning limp, the bent fingers, the width of my nose nor the wobble in the knees.

I never knew that SOB could hit that hard either but I sure as hell was the one that left my nose in front of his fist. I could have called a different woman!

Accountability...................... elections have consequences. Wish I could claim little gem of wisdom.

So Bessy, you going to elect to respond again or punt? Your choice! For hell sake let some else win one for a change, you ornery old fart!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-13 AT 06:12AM (MST)[p]Well Koman!

I surely Ain't here trying to 'Claim the Fame'!

It Ain't the Years,more like the Mileage!

We've all made some of them 'Bad Choices'!

Well,except the MM Angels!

Ah!

The ShotGun to My Skull Inncident!

I haven't forgot that one yet!

Most people that know me a little think:That Goofy SOB Ain't affraid of Nothin!

Wrong!

When that ShotGun was put on My SKull & then I hears the Pump Slide move one in to the Tube,Well ya,I was a little SKEERED!

Most Men won't ever admit to being SKEERED in their Life,I'm admitting it right here & Right now!

PUNT?

I don't think so!

So where you from Koman?

EDIT:I had this Song on My Signature until somebody WHINED Koman:

Yuuuuup..........never had one laid to the side of my head but a while back I had two occasions where over sensitive gents asked me if I wanted the one they were holding put there, . Darn convincing way of asking a guy to move along, if you ask me. I found, if your quick enough you really can pass through hell before the devil knows you been there.

These shotgun encounters do leave a technicolor memory that seems to have longer shelf life than green jello.

Question is, did you learn anything?

As for scared...............did I mention I love fireplaces and milk toast. I'm SKEERED of everything.............comes from years of conditioning.

Punt? Ya I had you figured for a "fourth and go for it" problem solver. That'd be why your Ninth is sneeking up on you. Every rock will break if you press on it enough times.

Consequences are like sun rises, lik'em or not, there's one a wait'en for ya every morning.

Rest easy tiger!

No need to teach a 18 year old boy anything. They Know it all, talked to him again when he his 25 then he will listen to what you have to say.

Where'd You come from Amy?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom