Thief and securing gear/equipment at camp

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
Seems like thief of gear and equipment in hunting camps is happening more and more. Even things like generators that are cabled and locked are being stollen. My question is, has anyone tried any of the available GPS tracker systems to help give you piece of mind? If so, what system have you used, and any pros and cons.
Thanks
Bill

I tried this one for a while when I had our sxs's on our trailer. It worked OK. You set up a perimeter and you get a alert on your phone if anything leaves your perimeter. There is a monthly subscription fee also. Mine was not the self charger though. I do not know if it would work where there is no cell service.
Also by the time you get back to camp thieves would be long gone. Would be nice to have a way to track them down.

Also by the time you get back to camp thieves would be long gone. Would be nice to have a way to track them down.
gps trackers would definitely work for that. I would assume the more you pay the better they work. The one I listed does have a tracking feature that tracks the location via a map on the app

Maybe all those thiefs will hit the campers/camps spots that are left on NF for weeks on end first. Hell, I can even give/send a few onx pins to check out first.
absolutely, People think the national forest is their own personal RV park. All the forest service says is " we don't have the man power to patrol it all"...F**k, give me a job !!!

Last edited:
I understand the trail cam restrictions here in Utah, but I still put up a camera or 3 around camp facing towards my personal items. As I understand the ban you can use them for property surveillance.
I've also caught some pretty funny pictures of us around camp when I forget to shut them off while we are there.

Seems like thief of gear and equipment in hunting camps is happening more and more. Even things like generators that are cabled and locked are being stollen. My question is, has anyone tried any of the available GPS tracker systems to help give you piece of mind? If so, what system have you used, and any pros and cons.
Thanks
Bill
My cousins camp got hit last year stole his generator and also his trailer hitch he had taken off his truck and laid it beside the trailer

Air tags work well if they take anything you can follow it and imagine their surprise when you show up at their home or camp to take your stuff back. They sell for about $20 bucks a piece it's not the answer all but it gives you some piece of mind

We put them in time out!

Seriously, I've thought about this as well. You can chain them up but a pro in the NF will have measures for that.

I like the Air Tag idea. I know some people who travel for work and ship their tools in pelican boxes with air tags. The app gives them live to the spot info. I've seen them move from one room to another and it will show the movement.

I have been screwed and stolen from many times by tenants and contractors. I took it personally and have tried hard to figure out a way to "catch them" with almost no success. My point is IMO do not waste much time, money and stress over this.

That said I suggest a cell phone game camera. Also a few regular camera's hidden really good. Sure cell service will likely not work with your game cam but they do not know that. Seeing a camera with an antenna is a heck of a deterrent.

$20 air tag I am going to be looking into that.................

Last edited:
What can you really do if someone steals a generator or something of relatively small value and leaves the county or state? I personally would not try to take matters into my own hands and the sheriff can’t do much unless the police or sheriff in the next county want to get involved? Even if the thieves are local, is the sheriff going to be able to get a warrant using your intel?

I've personally used an air tag to get back a generator that was stolen from a job site. The thing with air tags is that they notify the thieves if they have an iPhone. I put mine in a small bottle with some fishing weights and dropped it in the gas tank. My generator was stolen and I tracked it to where they dropped it off on the side of the road when they couldn't find and remove the the air tag.------SS

My family and myself have hunted and camped for over 50 years in eastern OR and not once have we ever had a problem. I don't even take the keys out of my vehicles at night. I'm more careful with my rifles than I used to be but other than that no changes.

Maybe it has something to do with where you hunt and how many hunters there are . maybe I should change my ways but I hate being paranoid, so I'll probably have to lose something first.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom