They're everywhere!

HorseCreek

Very Active Member
In all my years of hunting I have been checked by a dwr officer once. I've only seen one other while out hunting. I was checked in 07 on Monroe. My dad grew up hunting on the Manti. He is still yet to see an officer in that area in 35+ years.
With that being said I live in Midway near some fairly popular wintering bulls. During the day you can expect to see 3-5 different DNR trucks drive by to watch the bulls. I wish they had that much ambition during the summer months and during the hunts! At least they are car pooling. There are usually 3 or four in per truck. Sounds like a plush job!
Traditional only >>>------->

they're just like cops, not around when you need them.

You got a PHD, player haters degree.
Team_UNC

I have very seldom been checked while Big Gmae hunting althouh I have been checked quite a few times fishing or bird hunting. In fact in the 25+ years I have been hunting I think I have only been checked two or three times while big game hunting. Whats also interesting is that I have hunted Wyoming 7 or so times and every year up there I have been checked some years two or three times.

Hunted the Manti's for 12 years and 11 of those years, I had never seen a law enforcment officer one. But two years ago, I got stoped opening morning of the spike elk hunt and recieved a registration ticket (my bad). Wound up being a bad opener with search and rescue called in for a buddy's dad lost at night in a snow storm and a hole punched in my wheeler's radiator racing down the mountain to make the search n rescue posse call. I called it a weekend then went back down early for the deer hunt to get the last two days of elk hunting in. I got my elk within the first couple hours and 5 days into the deer hunt when I was loaded up and heading down Ephraim canyon, I had two Ephraim city police waiting for me because of complaints that I had shot an elk during the deer hunt eventhough it was hanging in the pines days before the deer hunt. Bastard cops stepped onto the center cap of my rear truck rim climbing into the bed to check the elk and broke it off. Within two weeks in one year I had got to personaly know two game wardens, search and rescue and two ephraim city policeman.

Maybe when some dumb kids tries to shoot one of those bulls they will catch him? I know several game wardens and during the general season hunts they typically spend so much time running from call to call they don't have a lot of time to patrol around and check licenses.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-10 AT 05:50PM (MST)[p]+1 elkholic. Give them break for hell sakes six years of college to get a job as a CO making sh!t for money and automatically being hated for doing a job. My hat goes off to any and all peace officers.

Except for the cops in ephram there a bunch of jerks. But most small town cops are. The out of towners get harrassed a lot.

I have hunted in utah for the last fifteen years, I had never seen a warden in all that time until last year. I had just harvested a cow elk while out by my self. The warden was driving by as I was struggling to load her. He stopped to help and was a super cool guy, very friendly.

"With that being said I live in Midway near some fairly popular wintering bulls. During the day you can expect to see 3-5 different DNR trucks drive by to watch the bulls".

Wow!!! Really??? I would be willing to bet if you were in their shoes you would stop to check out the game to? Maybe I am wrong?

As mentioned damned if you do and damned if you don't !!

Let me be clear...I have NO problem being checked. I would love to know that myself and other hunters are being watched. My point is, don't they have anything better to do than drive by a couple times a day some days? I don't blame them for wanting to check out the bulls. But that many trucks, and sometimes multiple times a day???
Traditional only >>>------->

Not much else they can do at least there watching them. I know they make there own hours and a few of them work two jobs to get by.

This never gets old. So on one hand they are bashed for not being visible, then in the next breath they are being bashed for being too visible. Priceless. You should go put in for a job and show them how it's done.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

True story here.
Couple of years ago I'm headed to Green River area with a load of steel decking(metal sheets) and hit some black ice coming out of Richfield all 10,000lbs the decking slid off the trailer we had to re-load the sheets one at a time back on the trailer Just me and my wife, This was ging to be hell it was snowing and it was cold (22 deg)a UHP officer(Trooper Woods) stopped by climbed out his car pulled on a pair of gloves and grab the other end of theses 20ft sheet and helped load the whole pile, He make a 6 hour job in a 2 1/2 hour job. I was sure glad to see him. I know he was cold and wet just like we was can't say enough good things about him and what he did that day to help us out.
"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

There are mostly great ones and a few bad ones but all you hear about is the bad ones!

On the topic though I think that if you noticed these fellas driving by a couple times a day and are bitchin' about it then so have other people and the word is out that they are around all the time and that might be the deterrent needed to keep those bulls alive.

Bill

Maybe they are just counting them... Geeze.

I've been checked more in the last 5 years than ever before. They are always courteous and quick checking tags and gun and move along. No complaints with any of the law enforcement in utah other than the ones that give me tickets!! Lol jk.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

ELKOHOLIC, they were pretty cool actually. The expired registration was totaly my bad. I have to give a big thanks to the search n rescue posse finding my buddys dad about four miles from where he should have been and not to mention just before midnight in a blizzard (he had broken into an old ranger cabin for shelter). They did a job very well done!! And as for the Ephraim city police waiting for me, it was no big deal, I am glad they were watching and looking out for the game up that canyon. I was told they actually have retards shoot elk on the deer hunt and had to follow up on the call they got. I know I was within season and was not worried, just pissed me off they were breaking crap crawling all over the bed of my truck when it was pretty obvious he wasn't a fresh kill. It is a Dodge though so I had it coming.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-10 AT 04:54PM (MST)[p]I was talking to a local sheriff a few years back. He kept getting complaints. from adults, about minors driving without licenses. So guess who he catches? You got it, the kid of the complainer. Guess what their reaction was??? A bunch of griping and complaining.

I hear people complaining about teachers as well. "Too much time off", "overpaid", "not working "enough hours"...

I sure wish all of the complainers would go to college and then they could change the world lol....

Being a CO is a thankless job and I definitely appreciate them more every year. I have been checked three times in the last five years, which is much more often than I would expect. They have all been friendly and courteous and I enjoyed each visit.
Once in Wyoming we were hunting antelope/deer along some county roads and got checked three times in three days by the same officer. We nick named him "bulldog" and by the end of the hunt he had us so paranoid we didn't dare spit on the side of the road for fear it might be illegal. But that was his job and he did performed it very well. My hat goes off to those guys!

CO Little out of Dutch John, Utah is awesome. This year, he helped us out greatly on our hunt to help my daughter recover her first deer. He did this on his own time while he was out hunting on the last day (last hours) with his boy. We couldn't have done it without him! CO Little said his son "hated his job" because it took time away from being able to hunt with his father.

TRH

i got checked this year while in the middle of a coyote stand. we were hunting some private ranch ground by a haystack and had a decoy out...we were about 5 or 6 minutes into our calling sequence when he walked out into the field to check us. he was a really nice guy, but still kinda a bummer right in the middle of our stand.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom