There's gold

eelgrass

Long Time Member
in them thar hills! Last year about this time I went up on Forest Service to cut a load of firewood. On the way home I stopped along the Trinity River for lunch and a little prospecting. After I ate, I grabbed my bucket and a spade and a 1/4" screen and dug out on a high bank that had a lot of smooth river rock. I washed it through the screen into the bucket, dumped the water out, threw it in the truck and drove home. There it sat until the other day.

It's been raining so I decided to classify it down farther and then panned out the small stuff into a tub at home. No nuggets but I was surprised at the amount of fine gold it held. This from about a quart of fine dirt. Lots of black sand which makes it hard to pan. I made about $.25/hr. I have to go back there again and poke around.

P1010312.JPG
P1010310 (2).JPG

You have to be pretty careful; you can get gold fever pretty easy. The government closed the river down to suction dredging many years ago, but anybody can pan just about anywhere. Some places are claimed up but they're posted. They would really frown if I moved a D-8 and a big excavator in there, Tony Beets style. :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Call the Discovery Channel your ready for a show. That is pretty cool, looks like a decent amount. I tried that a few times and all I managed to find was borderline hypothermia.

in them thar hills! Last year about this time I went up on Forest Service to cut a load of firewood. On the way home I stopped along the Trinity River for lunch and a little prospecting. After I ate, I grabbed my bucket and a spade and a 1/4" screen and dug out on a high bank that had a lot of smooth river rock. I washed it through the screen into the bucket, dumped the water out, threw it in the truck and drove home. There it sat until the other day.

It's been raining so I decided to classify it down farther and then panned out the small stuff into a tub at home. No nuggets but I was surprised at the amount of fine gold it held. This from about a quart of fine dirt. Lots of black sand which makes it hard to pan. I made about $.25/hr. I have to go back there again and poke around.

View attachment 69108View attachment 69109
Don’t care what it’s worth, looks like a good time to me. Congratulations on get’ten out there and squeezing all there is out of the good life, in your corner of paradise. Proud of ya man!

Anybody remember the old gold fever show?........
"I'd be better if ya shot me cuz gold fevers really got me."

The intro, popped in my head as soon as I saw that.

Can't rember what I ate for dinner, but stupid chit like that jumps in.

I've toyed with the idea of throwing a pan in the sxs in the summer. Looks funner than bubble fishing a pond while camping

The intro, popped in my head as soon as I saw that.

Can't rember what I ate for dinner, but stupid chit like that jumps in.

I've toyed with the idea of throwing a pan in the sxs in the summer. Looks funner than bubble fishing a pond while camping
With a little research you can find historic gold bearing creeks and rivers in your area. There's still a lot of gold left. You won't get rich but there's something about swirling that pan around and seeing that shiny gold that has been laying there for eons just waiting to be discovered.

Hunting elk and muleys i always thought it was cool to find a old abandoned mine shaft dug deep in the Colorado mountains in the most rugged spots, and think of those guys who crawled into those holes hoping to strike it rich , they were some tough old birds . Keep up the panning there eel . :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom