The smells of hunting

T

TripleA

I was walking into a convenience store today when I passed by an idling diesel pickup. The first thing that popped into my head when the smell hit my nose was HUNTING! About the only time I'm exposed to the sweet smell of burnt diesel are my annual hunting trips out of state. One of my hunting buddies has always had diesels and now the smell triggers those memories.

I was wondering what smells trigger your fondest hunting memories?

Predator likes the smell of plastic gazebo's..thinks they smell like rutting antelope...

( I will probably get harrassed by every LEO in Utah now...)

Oooohhhh I love the smell of wet sagebrush! That would be my #1 smell.

Wet hay and The smell of coffee in a camp trailer,I don't know why it smells different (better) but it does.

occasionally i will be walking through a part of the pine woods and i will get a whiff of fresh rubbed pine from a bull rub. i get sprung and start looking around for sheds because fresh sheds smell just like it!

Cedar fires, and wet sage. Nothing better. Diesel, although I smell it everyday because I drive one, reminds me of Iraq. We had a saying, "nothing better than the smell of burnt diesel in the morning", over there. Yes, it's a carry over from the napalm comment of Vietnam Vets, awesome guys...

Clean, cool, mountain air. Elk urine. wet firs. grouse entrails. burning white gas. the smell of 5 days of stink inside your sleeping bag.

In the fall when I smell wet, fallen leaves I am transported back in time to when I was just a little guy, my Pop taking me pheasant hunting west of Farmington and Kaysville, like him, those areas are long gone...

When I catch a wiff of pine, I can close my eyes and in my mind's eye, I'm working my way through a stand of timber on the Manti, my old Remington in the crook of my arm, looking for any movement or an antler...

Wet sagebrush puts me on the plains surounding Elk Mountain, glassing that herd of prairy goats just barely visible over that rise...

The aroma of cottonwood trees takes me to a time when you could fish anywhere you liked along the upper Weber River, catching browns, cutthroats 'an 'bows... 'an the bats would take yer fly out of the air after sundown...

These are all smells you run across in day-to-day life, right where you live and work, funny how a smell can spark strong memories, good OR bad.

The smell of that medium cooked New York Steak at the STAR HOTEL in Elko, NV. Then I know I am on my way to hunting.

Brian

The smell of crisp, clean air as it is snowing and the decaying leaves of autumn. The smell of a torn up tree and a fresh scrape. The smell of the steam rising up to smack you in the face as you make your first incision into that buck or bull. The smell of dried blood and gut on your hands, corn dog grease and teriaki jerky farts on the long ride home. The smell of my wife when she greets me as I get out of my rig covered with blood, guts, corn dog grease and stinky jerky farts.
Eric
famousfigures_abevigoda.gif

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

Bacon, wood smoke.

Sometimes I will put an elk wafer under my arm pits just to get that warm feeling.

well that depends.....what exactly are we hunting....?

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -- Abraham Lincoln

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom