THE RUT BEGINS!!!

Videos of Estes Park always irk me a little... the poor elk are wild animals but subject to an environment where they are treated as pets and/or free roaming zoo exhibits where photo hungry tourists ignore boundaries and respect for space. Over time they become less and less wild and get used to people, but their hormonal instincts will never go away.

Imagine if a RMNP elk herd wandered off and somehow ended up in a legal hunting unit... the slaughter that would ensue would be tragic and not "hunting" at all. Elk would be wandering up to hunters to see what was for lunch.

Not to say that elk only exist to be hunted, just commenting on the implications of including a city/town like Estes Park inside a heavily protected elk environment like RMNP. I personally think it does a disservice to elk because part of their beauty/majesty is their wild nature, and situations like Estes Park/RMNP strip them of that.

The population of Estes used to be ~1000 folks. And half of those were in Arizona by the time September rolled around.
>>No issues.

Now its over 10,000 plus all the transplants that visit. Hell, on the news last night, they were reporting how many trailheads and open spaces along the front range have no parking or and few parking lots. So you need an app to assist you where to park???
>>All kinds of issues.

Implications of over-crowding, idiots that have no respect, etc. = not situations like Estes / RMNP.

FoCo, I agree 100% that the real root of the issue is overcrowding. I have nothing to say in disagreement with that. I think the point I was trying to make is that the Estes/RMNP situation is a combination of overcrowding and domestication of the elk. As more and more people (especially naive, photo hungry tourists) flock to Estes Park, the elk are getting more and more used to people, which creates a cycle that compounds the issue. The elk are so protected on RMNP that they are losing the fear of people that make them the majestic wild creatures that they are. Overcrowding is an issue all across the western states, but I would argue that there are very few areas where it becomes normal to see a mature bull elk on a sidewalk intermingling with people, as tends to be the norm in Estes. Overcrowding is a huge issue for elk pretty much nationwide, but I still think they are able to retain their wild nature in most other areas where they still feel the pressure from hunting. I was simply observing and stating my opinion that combining overcrowding with domestication of wild herds is creating a specific type of issue in areas like Estes Park, which is why we're seeing more and more videos of a bull elk in the rut being pressured and harassed by hoards of people. If he was the wild, elusive creature that he was meant to be, he would be far away from that sidewalk, taking his aggression out on a tree or another bull.

If you're charged by a rutting bull elk, grab him by the 3rds and twist his neck. He should stop and run off.

To add on to Eel's statement: If he doesn't run-off, twist harder and break his Fricken Neck!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom