The Pig is Cooking

BeanMan

Long Time Member
Today we are hosting my Wife's Palisade High School 30 year reunion. I just put the pig on.

Peachwood makes for a nice smoke.

Now that a BBQ, Look like you will have a bunch of people showing up with that size porker.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

PHS Class of 83 was 62 people, about 30 have said they'll come. I suspect we'll have a few locals crash the party as well.

I seem to remember you posting lots of pics and directions about your smoker before, but i'll ask anyway because with a smoker like that a guy should be able to brag and talk about it every once in a while.
So tell us more about it, do you load the wood from the back? I also don't see a thermometer, is there one there and what temp do you smoke at? Air vents on the bottom back also? For how long? I would imagine just a smoldering fire? Etc Etc Etc....tell us more so that some day maybe we can all inspire to build something like this. Thanks

Only problem with Bess and his diesel truck, you could never tell if it was just diesel smoke or a combination of smoke and Bess eating a bowl of chili and farting along with it.

Beanman, that is probably one of the best home built smokers I have seen. I have a sneaky suspicion you are very good at smoking meat and alot of us wish we could be there to enjoy some great smoked pork with you.

RELH

I would have enjoyed it. I am class of 83 Gunnison High School.
We had some barn burner Basket Ball Games in the "Old" Palasade Gym. I miss the old GVL Gunnison Valley Leauge. 30 years is a long time but I am pretty sure I fouled out in the first minute
of over time when we played At Palasade that winter. Your point guard was a peach farmer who hunts. I know he went to Alaska.

I'm old cant remember names. Tell them to have fun. Drink a beer to the "Glory Days".
Was your wife in FFA?

Your BBQ does NOT meet the current standards established by the Muslim Brotherhood!
Since you have now cooked a pork product on the unit, it may NEVER be used to cook any food that Muslims can consume. Therefore, NO Muslims will come to your home, for any reason.
Aren't you sad?"

If you get upset or offended by ANY website forum
post.....especially mine, you need serious
intervention!"

Come on Bean, we need more details on the recipe of the pig. Spices, etc., so we can experiment as well. Looks awesome give us the reviews.

>Just before cutting it up.
>
>

DAMN does that ever look Good!

I'll dress up as one of your old Girlfriends next time BeanMan & be over!:D

Devlin & RELH!

You 2 are getting on my Sshhiitt List!:D:D

Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-13 AT 07:23PM (MST)[p]NVhunter, I'm a bit late in reply, I was tired out. I have a door on the back side that doesn't show up in most of my photos. It has three adjustable vents. I build a small fruit wood fire (usually peach wood since I live on the edge of a bunch of orchards) and move the coals around to where I think they are needed based on seat of the pants thinking.

There are two vents on the 12 guage rolled lid. The lid was rolled by Bonner steel and I welded the ends on it. It got too heavy so I use a post with a boat winch and pulley to raise and lower it. The footer is concrete with rebar. The dimensions are 5' by 6'. I wish I had used firebrick and it was my first attempt at bricklaying. If I were to build another one I would make it smaller by a foot on all dimensions. I cook a lot of ribs and butts and use that small metal stand in the foreground of the first few posts to put the meat higher up, into the smoke, off of the main rack which is made of shaker screen. I like shaker screen because it is round edged and doesn't snag meat like expanded metal does.

I haven't added a thermometer yet although I think about doing it. I also haven't progressed to rubs or spicing it (for whole hogs), the wood flavor seems just fine to me although the Wife makes some killer sauces to add after it is cut up. I think there is so much fat on the up side that rubs wouldn't penetrate to the flesh. I'll admit I have a lot to learn about that though.

Maybe I'll have to have a MM BBQ some day if there were enough people interested in driving to western Colorado for it.

My forest sure has grown up.

Dammit Bean! I wanna be your friend too. It's just an easy drive to western Co for this Ut boy.
PS: I'll even dress up as your current girl friend if it gets me invited.
Zeke

Zeke,

I'll give you my Wife's phone number and She can advise you and Bess on what to wear.

Seriously though, if enough people have an interest in a MM pig roast I could pull it off next summer. Keep it in mind.

That turned into a great looking feast.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom