The journey or the destination

feddoc

Long Time Member
Been thinking about my advancing age and pondering the past 44 years spent in darn near the same camping spot. Third season, as long as Colorado has had split seasons. There is one spot, at the top of an open park, where I stop to take sunrise pictures nearly every year on the day before season opens. I date all my pictures too and it has been interesting to see the progression of trees over the time from 1968 until now. Every bump in the road, every little finger of aspen trees and every little rock outcropping has it's own story to tell. My only regret is that I did not keep a written record/diary of what has happened during that time. This year for the first time in probably 60 years my BIL and our friend will not make the trip. They have been up there since the early 50s.

When I was younger it was all about the kill. The biggest buck, the biggest bull, etc. Yeah, I enjoyed the other stuff too.

But, for the last 30 or so years...and in increasing anticipation, it's far more about the journey. I love fall, turning of the aspens, smell of wood smoke from fireplaces and so on. Getting to camp a week early and cutting firewood. Making sure camp was ready for my buddies. Campfires at night and BS with guys about how thier girlfriends...then wives...then kids (and now, grandkids) have been. Sorta like being reborn.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

I think we all progress as hunters. I am at the point right now where I have alot more fun seeing my kids successful than if I get someting myself. I have a premium any bull tag and have really enjoyed hunting with my freinds and family. Don't get me wrong though, I am getting pretty excited about the thought of harvesting my first branch antlered bull. We have had some close calls with the bow but the closer the rifle portion gets the more excited I am getting.

I still dream of that heavy, trashy buck and the elk is always about the meat, but its far more about what you say now. The smell of pine, sage and elk. The sound of the breeze in the trees or a small stream, the smell of loamy earth and aspen leaves. While I tend to really live life in the moment most of the time, when hunting in the country that I love and that has been so good to me makes me feel it a privilege to be alive every moment of it!

I believe I'm becoming one of the sentimental old fools I never understood before... It is a good way to live and be.

Up until last year I was always in a hurry to get to the destination, didn't stop much to just look around.... Now its definitely the journey for me.... Im going to take a nap under a tree this year....

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Ah So....Grasshopper! The maturity and wisdom that is the TRUE reward for a long life.

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

Honestly feddoc my Aunt & Uncle are just thrilled that you married their ugliest daughter... thanks man.. it really is about journeys and destinations.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

If you are gunna post serious sh!t never - never do it at the Campfire. Post it in the general where all the really smart guys hang out LOL.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

Last year while my hunting partner and I were heading back to camp, I asked him if he remembered 25 or so years ago when we hunted hard busting through the black timber walking the ridges making two or three timber pushes between the morning and evening hunts and getting such a kick out of the two "old guys" driving around in the old chevy pickup. He said I sure do..... Then we both got a chuckle realizing that now WE are the two "old guys". I still look forward to the elk hunt.

Have these same experiences every year... that's what keeps you going back to hunting camp! Starring into a campfire and saying remember when....

Clearly the journey. The sights, sounds, and smells when shared with family and friends make for unforgettable memories. It is what I remembered from past hunts and will forever remember from future hunts.

Eldorado

Yep, the journey for sure. It just takes longer to get to the destination these days. Not a bad thing though. mtmuley

Yep, the destination for sure..I video more then anything anymore. The sunrise, the other guys deer, the other guys in the camp. Just hanging out with the fellus is what is fun for me. Hunting changed a lot for me after my father passed away in 2004. I still love it but it's different now.

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

Definitely the journey.Sadly,it seems in this day and age that so many are obsessed with the trophy that they forget to enjoy the journey.I still like wrapping my hands around a nice rack,though!

Yeah, it's definately the journey now days, and has been for many years. This post reminded me of a hunt in California a long time ago. Thanks for the reminder. Hope you don't mind me posting up the short quip I wrote about that hunt, kinda sums things up for me pretty well.

I recall a mountain range in northeast California, not far from the Nevada/Oregon border I was hunting one year. That entire area is a high mountain desert, where the lower flat lands are filled with various sagebrush plants, western cedar trees, and a smattering of mountain mahogany. Running through the center, a small mountain range some eighty miles long melts into the skyline. Some of the tallest peaks are snow capped deep into summer, even though they only reach some 9,000 feet.

The great majority of time I have spent in the mountains, I have been alone: It seemed to fit me better, not hearing foot steps that weren't mine, not hearing a voice that didn't come to me as my own thoughts. This trip was no different. I had never been to this area before, so every hill, every canyon was a new adventure to be explored.

This one particular morning stands out in my memory, as it was unusually cold for early October in California. Frost covered the ground like a billion snowflakes shimmering and glittering against the beam of my small flashlight as I made my way up a gently sloped mountain. I hoped I would make it to the top just as dawn began to blush over the high peaks. Shortly before I hit the summit, the tall pine trees filtered out into clumps here and there, with small meadows filling the gaps in between. I was almost to the top when day began to break, so I quickened my pace to reach the crest.

I can still see that scene in my minds eye as clearly as I did that morning, and it has been over twenty years! From the top, I looked northeast into a wide canyon valley that stretched down until it melted into the sagebrush flats, some five miles below. The tall pines seemed to be brushed into the scene by an artist on canvas, forming fingers down several small ridges until they were replaced by aspen trees, their leaves shimmering with the first dusting of gold. Large patches of brush, flaming in crimson and scarlet, separated several small trickles of water born from springs higher up, bubbling out below giant boulders of granite. Towards the center of the valley, the creeks merged, winding down through meadows of tall yellow grass that swayed to the gentle breeze gliding down the valley.

Late summer flowers were still in bloom, with splashes of blue, red, yellow and white spilling out from the small stream until they melted into the high brush. The quiet noise of that scene filled my ears with sounds so soft I had to strain to make sure I was hearing them. The tiny stream's flow tinkled like fine crystal against the smooth stones that lined its path. I could hear the almost imperceptible swish of the tall pine tops moving against the wind. Across the canyon a lost pair of crows calling to each other faded to soft echoes as they flew over the far rise. I was so taken back by the beauty of it all, I hadn't noticed the three deer lying just below the large boulders near the top of the canyon, a couple hundred yards away. They lay facing away from each other, each set of eyes surveying for potential danger in different directions.

I knew instantly they were all mule deer bucks. Two were similar in size. The third was clearly much larger. Their dark gray coats served them well, as they mimicked the color of the surrounding rocks. I shifted for a better look, but moved too fast. The largest buck caught my movement and immediately stood, looking directly at me. His antlers were dark, very dark. The tips were almost white, polished from weeks of battling brush and small trees in preparation for the coming rut. His body was nearly black. His upper chest near his throat veined a patch of white that stood out boldly. Even at this distance I could see the full outline of his front shoulders, like a heavy steer, blocky and full of muscle. When he turned his head, the mountain behind him seemed to move as his large antlers followed his nose.

The other bucks stood, and all eyes were focused on me. I froze. My rifle was cradled across my thighs as I squatted. HE was the reason I was there. HE was the reason my leg muscles burned like hot needles from the miles they had pushed up and down the mountains. I knew they would look for only so long before they would disappear over the nearby ridge to safety. I moved slowly, bringing my rifle forward. In the scope, I could see his grizzled face, gray with age and marred with battle scars from many answered challenges. I held steady, aiming where I knew I should. Time seemed to stand still, and the entire scene moved in slow motion. I watched him turn again, slowly moving up the hill to the right. My thumb held against the safety of my rifle, but did not move. I watched him crest the saddle, where he turned once more, looking at me briefly before he disappeared out of site down the other side, his partners quickly following suit...

I still remember the smile that stretched across my face as I looked east and watched the sun inch above the mountaintops. It's brilliant morning light set my little mountain valley on fire with colors so bright it almost hurt to look at them. This new place would forever be etched into my diary of memories; a place of magnificent serenity and beauty that would haunt my dreams for years to come; a place I had found in my solitary travels, along the paths chiseled by hoof and claw...

It was a really special hunt for me. I still don't know why I didn't shoot that buck. Maybe, deep down in my subconscious I knew the deafening sound of my shot would destroy the serenity that filled my soul at the time, or perhaps I knew that killing that magnificent animal would somehow take away from that particular experience. I don't know. Being a hunter, to me, means many things. As my years pile behind me, I find it is the journey and not so much the destination that fuels the fire within to return again and again to a little valley just behind the next mountain top?

www.unitedwildlifecooperative.org

For me, camping/backpacking/scouting trips are called journeys. Hunting trips are called destinations. The purpose of hunting is to kill the game I'm after.

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom