The Future of Hunting....

quest

Very Active Member
The Future of Hunting....

Is this what we are coming to? High prices only a few can enjoy. Its crazy! I know everyone has their own views but this is nuts. I remember when I was a kid hunting kept me out of trouble and it strengthened family ties. The latest news here is out of Wyoming budget crisis. I don't know but this trend scares me! If you want to post a Public Comment to Wyoming here's their link.

http://gf.state.wy.us/WGFD_WebSurvey/CommentOnly.aspx

This topic was posted in the Wyoming section. I think it is of great importance we need to voice our concerns.

quest

RE: The Future of Hunting....

I don't think its reasonable to expect that licenses and tag fees won't or shouldn't ever go up in price. Everything goes up in price sooner or later. General season tags are VERY reasonable, I mean, if you can't save $40 each year for a tag, you got way more problems than worrying about hunting in the fall. Non-resident fees are high everywhere, but they should be higher than resident fees.

With that said- I feel that hunting is going the way of privatization. I am optimistic that general season, public land hunting will afford me and my family opportunity to hunt regularly- but I am less confident that is will offer opportunity at quality animals. Private operations (CWMUs here in Utah) seem to be the push for the future of hunting- and that- I cannot, or do not want to afford. Yet, as hunting is my passion, who knows..?? I may have to change my mind.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Living in a state with only 3% public land may give me a different perspective than many on here in the west. The papers and craigslist are full of adds for people to hunt on as landowners need to or want to make fees for hunting on their land. I have been lucky contacts and age have allowed me access to some incredible places to hunt. Everyone is not so lucky.

It really starts in the east the states that are almost totally private land. They now lease virtually everything worth hunting in some very expensive leases.(Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, etc). Hunters in those areas who can't afford the high lease then look to hunt in the west increasing tag application in the west. Western states know this an see this as an opportunity to increase the revenue in their coffers. I expect this to continue as it is basic economics.(Demand will increase price)

It probably won't changed what I do as long as I can afford it I'll pay the increase in nonresident fees. Everybody that has money spends it on something I spend mine on hunting. Yes the guy who can't afford it will suffer and probably have to limit his hunting as in most of the rest of the world.

There are lots of opportunities for low cost hunting for kids in most every western state. A non resident youth deer tag in Wyoming only costs $110. And this comes with a small game and fishing license. In 1990 a non res deer tag cost $100. I am not sure they had youth tags at that time. Either way, 22 years later it has gone up a whole $10.

The opportunities exist. They may not be exactly what everyone wants but they are still out there. It is still the cheapest activity I do. The license is one of the least expensive parts.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom