The County Fair

mtmuley

Long Time Member
I was just wondering how many County Fairs are still out there. Ours here in Montana started Tuesday. I love the exhibits of everything from art to chickens, but the livestock is my favorite. We have a rodeo, I think even the PBR circuit this year, AND a demolition derby. Not to mention the food and rides and seeing friends and... There probably isn't a better way to spend the week. Espescially for the kids. mtmuley

They have one here every July along with the rodeo and Horse Races along with a few well known Singers on stage too. Like 3-1/2 weeks I think it is.

Brian

Ours went from August 2-10. Always a great time. The kids all compete in different 4H projects. My 14 year old daughter was named 2008 Rodeo Princess for our county. They raised turkeys again this year. Although they didn't place with their turkeys, my younger daughter won reserve grand champion for poultry showmanship. This week is the Colorado State Fair in Pueblo. My older 3 will compete in sewing, arts & music. It's always a lot of work and a lot of fun. I'm glad 4H is still a big deal in Colorado.

Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

We have a county fair here in Duchesne County, Utah and Uintah County, Utah has one as well. And it has all the traditional fun a county fair should have. Exhibits including vegetables, flowers, pies, cookies, cakes, sewing projects, quilts, art and taxidermy (the full body mount muley won the People's Choice award this year)...all that kind of stuff. Then there is the stock show, vendor booths, 10 different kinds of food and drink booths, local crafters selling stuff, a carnival, a demolition derby, Little Buckaroo rodeo, horse pulls and a parade and rodeo.

I love county fair time! We camp at the fairgrounds for the first four days while my son shows and cares for his animals. He raised a hog and a lamb this year. His lamb didn't make weight, but that was ok because his hog was awesome. He took 1st in his class and the judge loved his hog, said it was perfect, "ready to kill today", but it was too light. It only weighed 235lbs and this judge made a comment about how the industry needs to get back to bigger, heavier hogs.

He found my son the next day and told him his hog was great and that if it had been about 40 lbs heavier it probably would've won. It didn't matter to us though, we were happy with being the #13 hog in the show.

Here he is with his hog- btw...the hog was a jerk. Fought with every hog in the ring during the star round. No tears about eating this one this year. IN fact, we just ate our 1st porkchops from this hog last night and he is GOOD. Best porkchops we've ever raised.

KarterPigPen.jpg

KarterPigJudge.jpg

TripleK, Neat pictures. Glad he tastes good! I used to raise market steers. Lots of fun, but also responsebility. My kids do mostly art work and crafts so far. Critters next, I bet. Our county comes to a standstill at fair time. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom