Thanks Utah!

jims

Long Time Member
I watched the nightly news and it showed that about 25 moose were just transplanted from UT to the Grand Mesa above Grd Jct. In exchange Colo has given UT some bighorns. I think it's great that state's aren't selfish and are willing to share the wealth! Hopefully the UT moose will prosper here in Colo and the sheep do well in UT! Thanks Utah!

Maybe by the time I draw a Colorado moose I'll be hunting it on the Grand Mesa. Good Trade.

One of those moose, a small bull, (I am assuming it is one of those moose)

has been hanging around just east of Rifle next to I-70. I saw it in early November and on my way by at Thanksgiving I noticed it had shed.

beanman

I thought for sure they were going to say the UDWR traded the moose for turkey's. I guess I better give them some credit!

jims,

You are very welcome! The Colotards should enjoy the moose!

I think I am going with Prism here. We got rooked! Next time ship some deer tags back!;-)

Keep them sheep comin, I am getting sheep points in anticipation of the bright future for sheep tags in Utah, rocky mnt sheep tags that is.

Awesome!

Utah would be better off with the meese, Those transplanted sheep will wander around and most of them become lion candy, why does Utah get so many sheep translpanted and still the state's popul. isn't increasing substantially? Instead, they have to open emergency lion hunts because most of the sheep are buried in a cache under an old snag. Meese (moose plural, for the layman) aren't as easy for an ol' tom to bring down, plus they leave big antlers on the ground in the spring.

I have a feeling Utah's problem with establishing sheep numbers is a combination of things. Predators, disease, habitat, lack of fire, etc. Here in Colo where sheep have wandered into areas with livestock (especially domestic sheep) there have been severe die-offs. Domestic and bighorn sheep don't mix well and the bighorns are usally the ones that loose if they cross paths! Here in Colo disease is as much of a problem with bighorn deaths as just about anything else; however, the CDOW has had problems over the years getting desert sheep established in the Grd Jct area due to lions. In one area near Grd Jct they had 2 lion bag limits to try to alleviate the mtn lion-sheep problem.

Moose tend to wander a lot so often there is no problem with them expanding their range. When moose are first introduced into an area (and the habitat is in excellent condition) it is very common for them to have twins and even triplets. Obviously once established high moose populations can really do a job on willows and other vegetation so I have a feeling it does them good by taking a few cows and small bulls (either by harvesting or transplanting them). From what it sounds like UT's moose population is doing very well...in a sharp contrast to Western Wyo's moose population where they have lots of wolves/grizz!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom