texas white tail hunt

T

timothymarks

down in Texas on vacation seeing some family and killing some deer. hunted on my uncles small lease in north east texas. there is about 4 people regularly hunting this piece including myself. My uncles friend joe is the only other one who has bagged anything. he got a spike. We can kill 2 does and 2 bucks 1 of which can be a trophy.

So last sunday on my first morning hunt a spike came across the field right at daybreak, i couldnt tell whether he was a spike or not, and since we can only shoot does from thanksgiving until the sunday afterwards i was hesitant to take him. when i did finally see somthing above his head that wasnt ears, I let him have it. I dunked him, got him in the spine. so I went and picked him up and carried him back to the tree i was sitting under. (he weighed 60 lbs) it was only 5 minutes later when i spotted my big one. he was "alert" looking in my direction. i pulled up my binos and decided he was a shooter, he ran horizontal across the field. I pulled up my rifle to shoot, but no! blood had covered my lens from when i carried the spike back. while he just stood there i frantically cleaned the lens. when i was satisfied that i could see somewhat through it he started running. I said "mehhhhh" really loud and he stopped. I dunked him right there. tagged out on bucks in 15 minutes. I explained to the other guys that there are hunters, and gatherers. I said I am a hunter, and you all need to gather me a beer.... lmao!

5378white_tail_bucks.jpg

1452doe_whitetail.jpg

The does I shot the sunday morning after thanksgiving. I spotted them with the binos at around 285 yards, right after daybreak again. The funnest part of the does is I took them both with one bullet. they lined up and i took them both in the vitals. Funny thing is one of the other guys opted out of hunting where i was at both times i got my deer. They call the spot the tree of death, and yet he opted out both times... tagged out in 7 days!

Very cool, congrats on all four deer.
I bet he don't give up his stand next year ;-)
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

He kept thinking he had a better chance in another spot. Both times he was wrong. But I had a lot of fun. Now I'm ready to get back to Utah and get the hounds out. Also I still have a cow elk tag to fill. The hunting never stops, thank god my wife comes from a hunting family.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom