Texas is burning...

Roy

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-11 AT 08:23PM (MST)[p]http://ticc.tamu.edu/Response/FireActivity/

Pretty big fires all around us. The winds picked up on Friday and started driving them out of control. The one to the south of us in Bastrop is horrible. Over 500 homes destroyed. So far we are well away from any danger, but things are so dry here it is sad.

The trees are either dormant and dying. We have a fruitless pear tree out front that is losing all its leaves now, didn't happen - and was still green - until December last year. All the live oaks and scrub oak leaves are already orange and brown. Looks like a dingy fall, but that doesn't normally happen until October.

We haven't had any grass on our lawn all year. We have been under drought restrictions and can only water 1 day a week. It does no good so we have completely ignored it. Haven't cut the lawn completely since late June. The only grass is growing in small patches and there are a few drought resistant weeds.

Today was the first day in over 45 days the temperature didn't break 100. We have had over 80 plus 100 degree days this year - the hottest summer ever recorded here.

Not trying to complain. Just stating the facts. Please pray for us. We need some rain, badly.

HOOK 'EM!

Are you guys supposed to get any rain from the tropical storm?

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Nope. All headed east. All we are getting are the winds, which are driving the fires.

HOOK 'EM!

That sucks. I have a good friend in the Tahitian Village that was evacuated today. I was down there in April visiting and he was worried about it catching on fire. I feel for you guys. I'll put in a word for ya with the man upstairs.

That sounds miserable Roy. I feel bad for you. I bet your air conditioning bill is high this summer. I pray you guys get some relief soon.

Eel

Ransom, hillbillies were smart enough to pass though Texas and end up in Northern CA. where there is some hills instead of dry flatland desert. Only Utards move to Texas and business from CA.

RELH

Cuz you are right again. My gramps growing up in Kentucky couldn't wait to get his Texas bride and their kids out of that place.

Smart man! Ransom. Reminds me of the song If you're going through Hell! by Rodney Atkins. I originally thought this post was about the breakup of the Big 12. With 3 teams gone and Oklahoma soon to be the horns can hook some of the local high school teams, and the SMU's, Houston and Rice"s pretending to be college teams.

>Smart man! Ransom. Reminds me of
>the song If you're going
>through Hell! by Rodney Atkins.
> I originally thought this
>post was about the breakup
>of the Big 12.
>With 3 teams gone and
>Oklahoma soon to be the
>horns can hook some of
>the local high school teams,
>and the SMU's, Houston and
>Rice"s pretending to be college
>teams.

TWO WORDS - PAC 16 BABY! It's gonna happen.

HOOK 'EM!

Not good. Lots of ponds and streams are totally dried up. Still plenty in the big waters though.

>yeah but how is the turtle
>population fairing?

HOOK 'EM!

Roy You are probably right. If Texas doesn't take their ball and go home when they don't get their way. Texas will probably dominate the Pac 16 if they get in. I'm not sure after snubbing the Pac last year the Pac 16 is going to be all kisses and hugs for Texas. The money may solve the hurt feelings.

On the more important side I do hope you get some rain I know this year is a loss but next year without rain will be really tough. I see cattle trucks bringing up Texas cattle everyday. We have had a wet summer and the grass is really high.

Now I really feel bad. I got to worrying so much about Roy's situation, I left the water running and now my hot tub was overflowing here in Kali.

Eel

elkhunter, Mexico already owns all of Texas. They only have the Southern part of CA. Too many hillbillies in the Northern part keeps them below Sacramento.

Hope you are brushing up on your Spanish, you will need it.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Sep-06-11 AT 07:42PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-06-11 AT 07:41?PM (MST)

Hang in there Roy. Ya'all survived GW and Perry looks almost as goofey as Michell... this too shall pass. Everybody I ever met from Texas could survive on a drink from a muddy hoof print.

Just flew over the Lone Star State... from 30K that is one dry looking m'fer.

Seriously.. hang in there man. Hope you & family are Ok.

Slick
"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

LAST EDITED ON Sep-06-11 AT 07:45PM (MST)[p]The big difference in Texas and california is we don't let the mexican nationals dictate state policy. You guys better learn how to elect someone that's got an R by their name. I'm sure your lawmakers are counting on the federal taxpayers to keep your broke ass state from going even further under. Oh by the way n.cal is full of liberal politicians also so don't blame the sad shape your state's in on s. cal.

You guys are correct about one thing. Texas is as dry as I've ever seen it. The good news is we are one day closer to a lake filling rain. God Bless America and Texas . Pray for rain ever chance you get.

We ended up getting between 4-5" of rain around our places from the tropical storm in East Tx. We were coming back Saturday from a dove hunt in Abilene and hit rain in Kilgore and it didn't slack up until late Sunday afternoon. Do have some friends staying with us that were evacuated because of the Magnolia fire.

Sorry to hear about your troubles..Prayers on the way.. I hate to burst anyones bubble but if Texas and Oklahoma become part of the Pac 16 they won't dominate the west coast teams!! They will be lucky to win 8 games in that conference....

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

I believe Texas and Oklahoma would have little trouble compeating each season for a Pac whatever title. That being said I'd like to see Texas go to the SEC with A&M. Both schools will be middle of the pack schools in the SEC.

I believe Texas and Oklahoma would have little trouble compeating each season for a Pac whatever title. That being said I'd like to see Texas go to the SEC with A&M. Both schools will be middle of the pack schools in the SEC.

The SEC isn't as powerful top to bottom as you make it Elkhunter. Two top ten teams in the conference this year Alabama and LSU. I think Texas and Oklahoma would be in the running most years and I don't like either.

>Sorry to hear about your troubles..Prayers
>on the way.. I hate
>to burst anyones bubble but
>if Texas and Oklahoma become
>part of the Pac 16
>they won't dominate the west
>coast teams!! They will be
>lucky to win 8 games
>in that conference....
>
>
>
>Government doesn't fix anything and has
>spent trillions proving it!!!
>Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday,
>even the calender says WTF!
>

Sorry to tell you but Texas or Oklahoma will roll in the PAC-16. I don't care for either school but they are both stout (as in, in the hunt for a BCS bid every year stout) 8 out of 10 years........and that is historically playing tougher competition than they will face in the PAC. I don't like it but it is the way it is.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom