Terrain and roads in unit 82

L

lucobb

Hoping to get a general W tag this year. Planning on hunting unit 82. Was hoping someone could tell me what the terrain would be like and if there are alot of roads. Im going to backpaack in and was hoping to get away from some of the pressure. I hunted colorado a few times and seems like it is almost impossible with all the roads, just was hoping this area wasn't like that. Any help would help out alot. Thanks

Where are you planning on hunting in 82? There are roads and gas wells everywhere in the sage country down around Baggs. You might be able to backpack in a little in the timbered mountain areas to the east. Hunted it two years in a row 06-07. Lots of hunters and not much quality. Heard it has been really affected by winter kill since then.

You can pack into some of the drainages in the Sierra Madre mountains and get a mile or so from roads and trails, but not much farther unless you get into the Houston Park wilderness area which is really only about 5 miles across.

As for the lower country, it would be a waste of time. You'll be better off camping from your truck. The best public lands big buck country in the unit has multiple roads and trails up every ridgeline and down through every draw. You can't get more than a half mile from a trail. In alot of this country, there is literally no place that a deer could hide out and not be seen from a road somewhere. Unfortunately, "sportsmen" in this area have made it clear that they would rather drive around in pickups and 4 wheelers than hunt big deer.

That is not to say that a few big deer aren't killed in this unit every year, because they are, just not usually in the manner of hunting that you are looking for. If you get some access to private lands, you can get away from some of the pressure.

Sorry I can't be more positive.

Ya not what i wanted to hear but thank you for the honesty. I am a NR so the wilderness is out. What about the national forest in the northeast is it pretty tough to get away from people. What region would you change to. I have no preference points so i believee i have a chance in all regions but G and H.(i did not pay the special license or i would go to H.

You probably should of went special for G or H if you wanted to pack in. Even there you will see other hunters.

Most of the better bucks in the lower elevations come of the private and there are 4-wheelers everywhere on the blm land. I will never waste my time down there again. A 23" 4 point was the best our group could do in 2 years hunting it. Good luck in your quest to hunt somewhere.

The one thing that I will tell you is hunt the last 7 days of the season and leave opening day to all the yahoos. We will be going back this year and not hunting till the 8th of October thru the 14th, if indeed its a 14 day season. Just my 2 cents. Don

I agree with that! We hunted opening week the second trip down there and I was ready to go home after one day. It was like trying to hunt with a baja race going on around you. I was actually worried about getting shot in th sand hills opening day.

I would find the deepest sage filled canyons in the unit the second week and glass,glass,glass.

We plan on hunting the last week. And pray for a miracle from the sounds of it. Oh well we will make the best of it. Thanks for all the info.

We were near there for antelope the fall before the winter die off. We took a ride through there on opening day of deer season to see what it was like in case we wanted to hunt it another year. We saw several bucks, ranging from forkhorns to a 20" 4pt, from the truck--which made me wonder what me might see if we were able to get back away from the roads. Also, we saw a lot of hunters. I hear the die off really had an effect though.

Hunt hard, there are a few decent bucks there. It wont be a total loss. PM me if you want specifics on anything, I would be happy to share.

You guys shuold know that the season is going to be the 1-9 of October this year. There won't be a "second week" because there are fewer critters and the season was cut short.

Just FYI so you can plan your vacations.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom