tehachapi

theox

Very Active Member
so i might be up this way in a couple months and was wanting to look for a few sheds, just wondering what there is there. any elk or just deer? any decent deer or elk in this area? dont worry not asking for any spots or starting points i can usually figure that part out on my own, just more wondering quality and species and amount of wintering animals in the area

thanks!

You MIGHT find some road kill, but once you leave the pavement, just about every square inch of ground is private.

Also, there was not enough winter to move much off even the highest ridges.

Good luck!

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

All of the deer in that area have been poached by those living in Arvin....oooooops....did I just say that? j/k

Steve
Worlds Best ebayer
Great transaction, fast payment, A+++++

Where are you from exactly? Is this thread a joke? If it is, I guess I fell for it.

Do you even have a clue as to the community makeup of either Tehachapi or Oceanside?

The residents are mostly "anti everything", LA retirees or commuters, in the first place, and secondly, neither of these areas have ANY viable deer population.

They have forced out the small farmers and ranchers, converting almost everything to the more fashionable "ranchette".

Will your next post be asking about shed hunting in Hollywood?

My best guess would be that "shed hunting" is useless in So Ca...anywhere. You find shed antlers where deer live......and very few deer live in the areas you mentioned.

haha no its not a joke. sorry if it is that dumb of a question like i said never been to either place. Im from utah and I just figured with such few hunters in some of those areas there must be a few sheds around there. ( going on vacation in oceanside and i hate crowds of cities so i thought a hike might help me out a bit. I looked on google earth and there is some mountainous areas around oceanside. I just love hiking where i can find a shed or see deer. thank you for the serious reply nickman! thats the info i was looking for. I was under the impression that tehachapi had a few deer and elk in the vicinity. so thought id look a litttle. oceanside was a stretch but after looking at google earth it looked like it was possible just a little out of town.
once again sorry it was such a far fetched question haha i thought i might get that kind of reaction knowing how so cal is. So the deer population is that bad in those areas? Well dang i guess ill try to book a fishing trip instead. any suggestions?

There are probably some sheds on the Tejon Ranch, but you might end up hand-cuffed!!! Better go with some deep sea fishing. pc

Could probably book a wild pig hunt with an outfitter for $4-600. Or go deep sea fishing.....2 things you cant do in Utah.

Theox,
If you are traveling down from Utah on US 395, you can check for wildlife in the Owens Valley area.
In regards to the Tehachapi area, as mentioned before, most of the entire area is private property & not very good for shed hunting. Except for Tejon Ranch, which is just south of Tehachapi. They have the Elk & Deer, but the ranch is strictly off limits. Especially right now with a Mt. Lion investigation going on.

Oceanside does have some mountains to climb. But once again, if you do get in the hills, you will be greeted by 30,000 Marines from Camp Penelton. Not good! If you want to hike hills while you are in the Oceanside area, head east on the 78 towards Vista or San Marcos. Not much deer, but plenty hills.
Both the surfing & fishing are pretty good.

Oceanside and Tehachapi both have an abundance of Poison Oak......a less than "thrilling" experience for the unwary hiker.

Theox, Go a few miles west of Tehachapi into Bear valley. There is a huge area of 30 to 40 acre lots. Some developed, but most not. There are many that have for sale signs on them. No problem wandering around on those. Drive around in there enough your sure to see deer and some elk. Some laying in peoples front lawn.

I don't know if you might find a shed or not. Nickman is right about the poison oak. It can ruin your life for a month.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom